All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:00 pm 
UserName Retired

40 free throws to 16 by Tulsa? Wow! :shock:

I've played basketball and that is what I call:

A. Home cookin'

or

B. Someone(s) driving to the hoop and getting hacked over and over again..i.e. very poor defense!

Since I wasn't there and am a S.B. fan..I'll stick with A. 8) :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:50 pm 
UserName Retired

BC, I believe the shoe was on the other foot for the last 3 or 4 years. Proves to me this team is playing with a helluva lot more intelligence. It's looking like CMD knew what he was doing last year when he overhauled the program.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:23 pm 
Two-Time All-American

BearCountry wrote:

A. Home cookin'

or

B. Someone(s) driving to the hoop and getting hacked over and over again..i.e. very poor defense!

Why does being a Sugar Bear fan make you want it to be home cooking/bad officiating, and not being aggressive on offense and forcing the opponent into bad positioning/desperate measures?

I would much prefer it be B (which it was), meaning it's something the Sugar Bears are forcing another team into rather than just being the beneficiary of crappy calls.

If one team is standing around shooting a bunch of 3s like Tulsa was (27 or so, I think) then they aren't going to draw as many shooting fouls as a team that is driving to the basket all night. Style of play has as much, if not more, to do with it than the officials.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:08 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

no doubt, please do NOT diminish this victory by suggesting the only way we won by getting to the FT line that many times against TU was because of home cooking! That would be extremely wrong! The SB's got it done by playing very well together, unselfishly, hustling, shooting better, and by being more aggressive on the offensive end.

There's still some things to work on obviously, we did get handled a bit on the boards, despite Megan Herbert's effort, which led to many 2nd and 3rd chance opportunities for TU to capitalize on. And their press, while not forcing a ton of TO's against us, did lead to us getting out of sync on the offensive end in the 2nd half when TU was trying to get back into the game.
Good news is, tis better to teach and to learn after a win in my opinion! This is a LOT more fun now!

Last edited by Bear Fan 101 on Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:49 am 
UserName Retired

Beary Manilow wrote:
BearCountry wrote:

A. Home cookin'

or

Why does being a Sugar Bear fan make you want it to be home cooking/bad officiating, and not being aggressive on offense and forcing the opponent into bad positioning/desperate measures?

I would much prefer it be B (which it was), meaning it's something the Sugar Bears are forcing another team into rather than just being the beneficiary of crappy calls.

If one team is standing around shooting a bunch of 3s like Tulsa was (27 or so, I think) then they aren't going to draw as many shooting fouls as a team that is driving to the basket all night. Style of play has as much, if not more, to do with it than the officials.

Woooooaaahhh! Hold on! I meant to say B! Not A! Heck, my last statement said "being a SB fan"...had a brainslip there! It meant to say B! :lol: Geez...c'mon Bear fans..some of you know me better than that! :lol: :lol: (how embarrasing) :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:52 pm 
UserName Retired

BC, you had a 50/50 shot to pick the right answer from your own question - and you still got it wrong. Myself, your fellow posters, and especially your family sincerely hope you are not wasting your hard-earned money on those lotto tickets! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:30 pm 
UserName Retired

Honey Bear wrote:
BC, you had a 50/50 shot to pick the right answer from your own question - and you still got it wrong. Myself, your fellow posters, and especially your family sincerely hope you are not wasting your hard-earned money on those lotto tickets! :lol:

Sadly enough, I've only played it a few times, and unlike the 99% of the populaition who have scratched away their hard earned money, I've actually won more than I've lost..which tells me two things:

....nevermind..I'm not going there. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:41 pm 
Redshirt

Tulsa appeared to try to take out our best outside threat (Westin Taylor) and in doing so created lanes for Herbert, Guiden, Rogers, and Rice. I thought we did a great job of getting the right Sugar Bears to the free throw line. What I also loved about the game is that CMD outcoached Tulsa. When we made our run, he dialed up new wrinkles that made Tulsa look foolish on defense. I wasn't sure about this team after watching an uninspired effort against Ecclesia, but the effort, enthusiasm, and heart that was on display Monday night against Tulsa took me back to the Sugar Bears of old.

BTW, I think Megan Herbert (barring injury) will leave UCA with the Game, Single Season, and Career Rebounding and Double-Double record.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:52 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

East Division Standings
Central Arkansas 4-2 .667 W4
Stephen F. Austin 3-2 .600 L1
Northwestern St. 4-3 .571 W2
McNeese State 2-4 .333 L2
Southeastern La. 2-5 .286 L1
Nicholls St. 1-4 .200 L1

we are in first place by percentage points in the East...but 1st place nonetheless!

West Division Standings
Texas A&M CC 4-1 .800
Lamar 6-2 .750
UTSA 4-2 .667
UT Arlington 3-3 .500
Sam Houston St. 2-3 .400
Texas State 2-4 .333

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:39 pm 
Two-Time All-American

geauxbears831 wrote:
I wasn't sure about this team after watching an uninspired effort against Ecclesia

1. It's hard to give much of an "inspired" effort against a team like Ecclesia.

2. THEY SCORED 119 POINTS AND WON BY 60!!!!! Even against a bad team, how much more could you possibly expect? I don't know that you can really tell too much about how great, awful, or whatever in between a team is going to be from a game like that.

Other than that, I think the rest of what you said was very good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:53 pm 
Redshirt

Let me explain...
Against Ecclesia, we were obviously the better team. The outcome was never going to be in doubt. Because of this, it would be very difficult to "get up" for an opponent like that.

Having said that, this was the first home game for a majority of the Sugar Bears, and a chance to get their first win. What I was expecting was for the SB's to come out on fire, and then cruise to a victory.

What happened was we allowed Ecclesia to hang around for the better part of the first 10 minutes of the game. Furthermore, we allowed that team to drive to the basket anytime they wanted to (a sign of a lack of defensive intensity), while we were out of sync on offense. Lastly, we did give up 59 points to that team.

When I contrast that effort with the effort shown against Jackson State and Central Methodist, I consider the Ecclesia game kind of disappointing. That was the reason for the "uninspired" statement. Still lovin the team, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:39 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Fair enough. I'll buy that.

If you take the first 10 minutes out and look at it on its own, then yes it was a subpar effort and could leave you being unsure about the team. Of course, you'd get the same conclusion if you just used the first eight minutes of the Tulsa game.

I guess I just saw enough over the last 30 minutes of that Ecclesia game to come away from that one feeling pretty darn good about it. Been a long time since we've seen that kind of offensive explosion. And if you're scoring 119, you're giving the other team plenty of possessions so allowing 59 isn't awful – even if that team was.

Fault can be found – if you're critical enough – with any team, including '02 UConn, but when dealing with a program that's been in the toilet I prefer to sit back and take joy in beating somebody, anybody, by 60. If I coached the team it might be different, since there's always something you can work on improving. Since I don't, I'm not too concerned about it.

I guess it's all just a matter of perception, because I thought the Central Methodist game was the least impressive effort, if you can call any of them anything less than impressive.

But hey, if we're sitting here in a thread about beating Tulsa and we're debating an uninspired/disappointing effort in a 60-point win or which blowout was least impressive, then I think that means things are headed in the right direction.

Hell of a lot better than trying to find what went right in a 40-point loss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:19 pm 
Redshirt

Totally agree.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:39 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

http://thecabin.net/news/2009-12-03/mccollums-column-sugar-bears-give-early-indication-potential

McCollum's Column: Sugar Bears give an early indication of potential
By David McCollum

Currently, it’s a bunch of young girls having fun playing a sport they love.

The University of Central Arkansas Sugar Bears are an entertaining team to watch, not only because of their basketball abilities, but the energetic way they play together.

“Megan Herbert is sitting next to me right here, and I can tell you she has no idea of her stats tonight,” said Sugar Bear coach Matt Daniel in a radio interview after UCA’s 86-77 victory over Tulsa University. “She just wants to win. She doesn’t care about the individual stuff.”...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:31 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Great win...maybe it builds some confidence......hope students and fans will support them vocally.......you take what the defense gives you...drive and pick up fouls then put them in.... expect to see another strategy from future opponents....let's go take care of Texas College......