It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Just How Good are the Sugar Bears?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:09 am 
All-Conference

Tell me about your squad. Could ask BearFan101 when we have our occasional chats, but figured that he's a bit close to the situation! ;)

Checked out your RPI - you guys are No. 230 with a strength of schedule of No. 337. The RPI may seem bad, but it is good for second in the SLC East behind SFA and sixth overall (not too far behind teams No. 4 and 5).

Started the season with what RealTimeRPI deems as bad losses than have come roaring back. Tulsa seems like your best win (is this correct?) and your team has played exceptional in other contests.

How many underclassmen on this squad that will be around when you are eligible for postseason? Sounds like a young crew from reading the posts, but I am not sure how many of those underclassmen are the ones making the difference.

I have seen several SLC East teams (half of them in fact) and it seems the division is down. The only two I have not seen besides the SBs are SFA and NWST.

The Demons seem ripe for the picking. SFA is their typical self, could be really good "by SLC standards" - but then they come out and lay an egg. I remember when they were one of the better teams in the nation, really struggling to do that under Lee Ann Riley.

With that said, seems like UCA is in the mix.

One thing is certain - it seems your women's sports (led by VB and WBB) are turning the corner much quicker than the men's sports.

Keep it up SBs. This league could use some good women's basketball!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:19 am 
Two-Time All-American

Starters are 2 sophmores and 3 freshman. Almost all of them averaging around 10pts a game. This team is extremely young.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:10 pm 
UserName Retired

All I can say TT is that I wouldn't take them lightly. This is definitely not the same mindset of a team that we have presented in the past.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:28 pm 
All-Conference

UCAMonkey wrote:
Starters are 2 sophmores and 3 freshman. Almost all of them averaging around 10pts a game. This team is extremely young.

Looks like many bright days ahead!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:28 am 
Two-Time All-American

TT:

Hard to say but this time last year we lost games we shoud have won and this season we are winning games we lost last year. SE Missouri has cleaned our clock pretty good the past two years but we handled them at Conway. The Tulsa win was pretty good although they are now 3-5 with a four game losing streak startng with us (two of those were cross town rival Oral Roberts in OT an always tough Missouri State team). The road win at Eastern Kentucky last week was big in that we came back after poor shooting in first half. As to other wins, they are games we should have won and did but competition abit questionable. This is definitely not the same team you saw the past couple of years and they are young.

The game this week on the road at Chicago State should tell us more. CSU is only 4-10 but they beat TAMCC 72058 at CC.

Looks like SLC/West will have some good teams with Lamar, UTA, UTSA and TAMCC.

What about your team? For obvious reasons, good luck at Fayetteville this week. UTSA beat them 71-55 earlier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:11 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

Quick notes:
*4 Freshmen starters, 1 Sophomore starter.

*ZERO Seniors on the roster, and only 1 Junior dresses out this season. This is the youngest team in D1 woman's basketball (and currently hold the best record in the SLC)...

*FR Megan Herbert was leading the SLC in points, rebounds, double-doubles and FG %age. I think her rebounding average would be tops in the country if eligible, I cant remember, I've taken a few days off!

*FR Westin Taylor tops, or 2nd in the league in 3 point shooting, I think it is between her and Jenna Plumlee, maybe...

*FR Micah Rice leads SLC in Free Throw %age, and close to tops in the country...

The others bring up good points about how this team cant necessarily be judged on RPI numbers and good wins or bad losses considering we are rebuilding from literally rock bottom after the last 2 seasons with basically 9 players, with only 3 seeing action a season ago. This team is completely different. They play hard, they play together, and they play much more smart and under control, too. They may not win every game left this season, although, they are trying their best right now! This group is finding ways to win games that they dont play their best in, and that says a lot! This group is definitely poised to make huge steps forward over the next few seasons, and I'm not sure if things dont fall right a division title isnt necessarily out of the mix this season, BUT there is a LONG way to go, and too many variables before that is even mentioned again out loud.

Post subject: Re: Just How Good are the Sugar Bears?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:11 pm 
Team Captain

TexasTerror wrote:
One thing is certain - it seems your women's sports (led by VB and WBB) are turning the corner much quicker than the men's sports.

I would have to say its been about the same. Both BB teams have struggled with the exception of year 1 when the WBB went 8-8 in conf. and this years 8-2 start. Yes, VB had a great transition period and won the conference this year at 16-0, but then again who could argue against what the FB team did in '08 at 6-1. Mens' baseball has been around .500 while women's soccer has declined during the past 4 years. Softball made a big jump last year after 2 years of dwelling near the bottom. Golf has been very good during the transition period for both men and women. I would think that overall, up to this point, VB, Golf and FB, really have done very well. I guess it's 50-50 as to which gender has done the best.