It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 9:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: UCA @ SIU-Edwardsville
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:38 pm 
UserName Retired

Tip-off is Thursday at 2:00 pm in Edwardsville. Time to regroup and get the W! Go Sugarbears!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:07 pm 
Practice Squad

Sugarbears win again!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:30 pm 
UserName Retired

Way to go Sugarbears!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:48 am 
Two-Time All-American

It's pretty incredible what this team is doing right now.

9-3 ... that's already 1.5 times as many wins as last season, and they've gotten two on the road in non-conference (the most since going D-I), plus beat a couple OVC teams and Tulsa. I think if the games had been switched around and Ecclesia, Central Methodist, etc. came before Belmont and Lipscomb, the Sugar Bears would've won at least one of those and could easily be sitting at 10-2 right now.

The scary part is it's not like this is the pinnacle or anything close. This is a bunch of freshmen and a couple sophomores doing this, pretty much. Even being so young, I think there's a good shot this will be our first D-I team with a winning record. Surely they can go 6-11 the rest of the way.

Crazy to think that, less than halfway through the season, Megan Herbert already has more points and rebounds than any Sugar Bear did all of last year. What that girl is doing is ridiculous. 24 points and 14 rebounds per game? Let that soak in for a minute. It's almost unfortunate she's come out so strong right away because now a 21-point, 12-rebound game is below par ... and that's a helluva night.

24 and 14 ... Courtney Paris, one of the most dominant college players of all time, averaged 21.9 and 15.0 her freshman year. That's not to say Herbert is as good as Paris or anything, but to be able to put up similar numbers – even at a lower tier of D-I play – is absolutely unbelievable for somebody on a team that's been 13-45 the last two years. Nobody in our league has put up numbers close to that since we've joined. It's been a few years since we've had players put up HALF those averages.

First in the nation in rebounding and fifth in scoring? Really? As a freshman, no less. That's a special, special player and anybody who isn't coming out to watch her is really missing out on something unique. We have no reason to expect that or take that for granted. We damn well better appreciate how lucky we are to have a talent like that and do everything we can to make the most of it and enjoy it while we can. We won't get many like that. Not many folks do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:03 am 
UserName Retired

Quote:
We damn well better appreciate how lucky we are to have a talent like that

Agreed - and a coach that had/has the foresight to have gone out on a limb and do something pretty drastic, and at the time somewhat unfavorable with some fans, by tearing this team down and starting over. To bring in the level of talent that Coach Daniel did since this time a year ago is damn near amazing to me. No doubt he is one helluva recruiter.

Now it's our turn to do our part and show up at the game to support this program.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:07 am 
UserName Retired

See you at the games! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:50 pm 
UserName Retired

PHOTO GALLERY