It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 10:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:47 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Pre SLC record against D1 teams is 6-3 ....

However, no D1 opponent has a winning record EXCEPT Belmont (beat SBs by 85-76 in opener) who has a 2 point win over Alabama AND Eastern Kentucky.

WINS
Jackson State, 1-11
Tulsa, 6-7 including wins over SF Austin, McNeese, CS-Fullerton, UMKC
SEMO, 5-9
Eastern Kentucky, 8-7
SIU-Edwardsville, 2-15 includes a win over UMKC and 2 point loss to SFA
Houston Baptist, 3-11 including win over UL-Lafayette

LOSSES
Belmont, 7-6
Lipscomb, 3-12
Chicago State, 6-11 includes a 14 pt loss at TAMCC

My guess is that Lipscomb caught us before we got it together and a 2nd game would be entirely different....Tulsa win is for real and shows potential.....EKU win was big for a road game....

I'm OK with the 4 other games although I wish they had been at the outset to get ready to play tougher schedule...next year with Coach's palyers in place ane exprience together, I would prefer maybe 2 NAIA as "exhibitions" then to D2s....

Still, lots pf progress over past two years......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:34 am 
Two-Time All-American

Beary Manilow wrote:
The Sugar Bears could have played UConn 13 times and it wouldn't have equaled a win over Corpus. I don't think playing Southern, UT-Martin, UAPB and Louisiana-Lafayette really makes you 22 points better than playing Ecclesia, Central Methodist, Wiley and Texas College.

I guess I just interpreted the above statement as you saying that Southern, UT-Martin, UAPB, and ULL were not going to make you any better than Ecclesia, Central Methodist, Wiley, and Texas Collge. When in reality I think playing playing those type of D1 teams would be make your team quite a bit better.

I guess I was just thinking that if it didn't make you better than those schools, then that would put them in the same level.

I prob just read to much into it. HAHA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:33 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

http://thecabin.net/news/2010-01-11/bears-coach-seeing-some-encouraging-signs-even-defeat

...SUGAR BEARS

The UCA women fell to 10-4 after losing 86-65 to A&M-Corpus Christi in their SLC opener.

“They played lights out, and we didn’t help them,” said UCA coach Matt Daniel. “We laid an egg.”

The Islanders led by 31 at the greatest juncture in the second half.

“The bus ride home was very somber, and I think that may have been a good thing,” said Daniel, whose team hosts Stephen F. Austin on Wednesday.

Daniel noted that the Sugar Bears, in nonconference play, had games against Tulsa, Houston Baptist, Southeast Missouri and Jackson State, teams that defeated them last season, two of them by a wide margin.

“And we paid them all back. We beat Houston Baptist by 40,” Dnaiel said. “When you schedule a home-and-home, you hope for a split, and we’ve done that. In looking at things, it’s not where you are, but where you are coming from.”

He said the Sugar Bears stand up well in comparative scores against common non-game opponents by Southland teams.

“I’m not pleased with how we’re playing — haven’t been all year long — but we’re still trying to figure out how to win games and we’ve done that,” Daniel said. “But it’s gonna be a coin flip every night out.”

IN THE CLASSROOM: The Sugar Bears had a cumulative GPA of 3.33 for the first semester. The team has an overall GPA of 3.21.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:41 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Beary Manilow wrote:
I don't think playing Southern, UT-Martin, UAPB and Louisiana-Lafayette really makes you 22 points better than playing Ecclesia, Central Methodist, Wiley and Texas College.

UpandIn913 wrote:
I guess I just interpreted the above statement as you saying that Southern, UT-Martin, UAPB, and ULL were not going to make you any better than Ecclesia, Central Methodist, Wiley, and Texas Collge.

Jesus Tapdancing Christ. It is not that difficult.

Quote:
When in reality I think playing playing those type of D1 teams would be make your team quite a bit better.

I disagree, but I won't get back into it because it clearly didn't soak in the first couple of times. I give up.

(Though I will say this – your original statement, and the basis of my response, was "the NAIA schedule is not paying off". And I would say it has. Those first two games probably helped the Sugar Bears beat Tulsa. The second two stacked on top of that probably helped give them the confidence to stick with it and come back against SEMO, Eastern Kentucky and SIU Edwardsville. Those NAIA games did not cost them the Corpus game – which is why I said playing four crappy D-I teams wouldn't make you 22 points (not any) better than playing NAIA teams ... which is the difference the Sugar Bears would have needed to beat the Islanders.)