It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 9:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HERBERT AMONG ELITE COMPANY AS MILESTONE APPROACHES
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:28 pm 
UserName Retired

[url=http://www.ucasports.com/sport.asp?action=news&sportid=5&article=3476]HERBERT AMONG ELITE COMPANY AS MILESTONE APPROACHES
[/url]

After official review from both schools of game film from Central Arkansas� game at Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, UCA freshman forward Megan Herbert is now on the brink of a major milestone as her double-double streak sits at 17 games leading into Saturday�s game at McNeese State.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:23 pm 
UserName Retired

Ah....she's ok. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:44 am 
Two-Time All-American

Megan will have her jersey retired at Shiloh Christian tonight.

Column in the Springdale Morning News today about her from Nathan Allen (who is different than the older, more sweatered Nate Allen).

Quote:
SPRINGDALE
In the 7 years I’ve been reporting sports for a daily newspaper, I’ve had the privilege to watch some really talented high school athletes.
During those years, there’s always at least one player in every sport that stuck out in my mind.
For me, I remember players like Ronnie Brewer, who was nothing short of outstanding at Fayetteville and Arkansas before being drafted by the NBA’s Utah Jazz in 2006. I also remember Anthony Blackmon, an undersized running back from Bentonville who ran for 2,596 yards in 2007.
That year, Blackmon — now at the University of Central Arkansas in Conway — was added to a short list of elite Arkansas prep running backs to rush for more than 2,000 yards in a single season. He had the fourth-most yards behind guys like West Memphis’ De’Arrius Howard, Conway’s Peyton Hillis and West Memphis’ James White.
One player that will always stand out to me was Shiloh Christian’s Megan Herbert. I had the privilege to frequently cover Herbert during her junior and senior seasons.
I watched Herbert routinely post double-doubles, sometimes scoring more than 20 points or pulling down more than 15 rebounds.
In 2008, when the Lady Saints were in the Class 3A State Tournament in Cave City, Herbert — only a junior — lifted the Lady Saints to a second-round victory by scoring 34 points and totaling 13 rebounds in only three quarters.
It was then I realized just how dominant she was.
The following year, Herbert led Shiloh to a 34-1 record and to the Class 4A state championship, a perfect ending to her three-year run with the Lady Saints.
Herbert, who now plays at UCA, finished her career at Shiloh with 2,867 points and 1,335 rebounds — averages of 21 and 10, respectively.
And her numbers are even better at UCA. As a freshman, she’s had 21 consecutive games with a double-double, the second longest streak in NCAA Division I history. She averages 22.3 points and 14.2 rebounds per game and is one of only three players in the country averaging at least 20 and 10.
The shame is that she’s not showcasing that kind of talent in the Southeastern Conference and on a larger national stage while playing for Arkansas. A team with one conference win could have used a player like Herbert, couldn’t it?
As a tribute to her success, Shiloh is honoring Herbert tonight with a ceremony at halftime of the varsity boys game. Her jersey will be retired as one of Shiloh’s all-time greats. It’s good to see that Herbert’s performances will never be forgotten at Shiloh.
A lot of great prep players have passed before these eyes, and there will be more in the future. And Megan Herbert will rank right up there with the best of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:57 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

here's a 40/29 feature on her as well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnadQ9FoarE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:02 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Some guy named Pippen came out of some small school in Arkansas..such a shame he was not ruined ...er, I mean showcased...at the place up north....get a life....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:43 pm 
UserName Retired

We're all division I right? So...if the pigs don't make the tourney and the Sugar Bears do.....(what does that say?) Just wondering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:52 pm 
Two-Time All-American

I would bet Megan will get to NCAA tourney as a SB...need another really good recruiting class like this year....then watch out...

Oh, you mean we are not FBS in basketball........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:58 am 
Two-Time All-American

That guy is a moron! I love the fact that Herbert is a Sugarbear, she seems to have a good head on her shoulders and is just having fun. I just pray for the day the SugarBears make the NCAA tourny and the Hogs sit at home!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:07 am 
Two-Time All-American

UpandIn913 wrote:
That guy is a moron! I love the fact that Herbert is a Sugarbear, she seems to have a good head on her shoulders and is just having fun. I just pray for the day the SugarBears make the NCAA tourny and the Hogs sit at home!

I agree. I find it extremely comical that she was right in their own backyard and couldn't properly evaluate her talent level.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:56 am 
UserName Retired

Proves to me that Coach Daniel is one helluva recruiter. I still am amazed at the caliber of players he recruited last season. I would imagine with the limited amount of scholarships he has to offer after this season he might just be pretty particular in who he goes after.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:28 am 
Two-Time All-American

He was getting Top 25-caliber classes as the recruiting coordinator as Missouri, so he's got a track record for having a knack for that sort of thing.

They did sign one kid in the early period, Courtney Duever from Austin, Texas (right in Texas State's neighborhood). She plays at Westlake, a 5A school, and they are 24-6 so far this season. In browsing around I found a few games where she had 14 points and 10 rebounds, 13 points and 11 rebounds, etc.

And then I also found this...

Quote:
Although the Westlake starters played limited minutes, they made the most of their opportunities. Senior post Courtney Duever, who ended the contest with a game-highs in points (14) and rebounds (10), had a remarkable first period that included 10 points, nine rebounds, four steals, three blocked shots, three assists and countless smiles.

Sounds like a good addition for next year and will help with frontcourt options. No telling what else he'll end up bringing in, though I would suspect at least one more guard.

With the nine suited up, the two redshirting, the one signee thus far ... that's a pretty good 12 already. Anything on top of that would be spectacular.

I'm curious to see what can be accomplished when he and his staff are recruiting girls to a 20-win team, and not selling the program coming off two seasons of combined 13-45.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:54 pm 
Two-Time All-American

SBs are not quite "back" yet but they are headed right....

Quote:
I just pray for the day the SugarBears make the NCAA tourny and the Hogs sit at home!

Heck no...I would love to see SBs play them in NCAAs and send them home....not quite ready for that yet either ....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:41 pm 
UserName Retired

Quote:
Megan Herbert Ranked Nationally Central Arkansas freshman forward Megan Herbert is the current league leader in scoring (22.2), rebounds (14.3) and field goal percentage (.551). If eligible for NCAA ranking, Herbert’s 22.2 points per game would rank eighth, her 14.3 rebounds per game average would rank tied for first and her .551 field goal percentage would rank 18th in the NCAA. Herbert is currently one of only three players in the country to average at least 20 points and 10 rebounds a game, and is the only freshman of the group.

LINK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:40 pm 
Team Captain

treyuca wrote:
Quote:
Megan Herbert Ranked Nationally Central Arkansas freshman forward Megan Herbert is the current league leader in scoring (22.2), rebounds (14.3) and field goal percentage (.551). If eligible for NCAA ranking, Herbert’s 22.2 points per game would rank eighth, her 14.3 rebounds per game average would rank tied for first and her .551 field goal percentage would rank 18th in the NCAA. Herbert is currently one of only three players in the country to average at least 20 points and 10 rebounds a game, and is the only freshman of the group.

Why is she not eligible?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:49 pm 
All-Conference

Until UCA is a full member of Division I, it doesn't count in the NCAA's eyes. UCA and other schools are listed at the bottom of the stat reports as "reclassifying"