It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 8:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Welcome back, Nakeia!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:11 am 
Practice Squad

As someone very close to Miss Guiden, I'm SO GLAD she has awakened in the last few games and is producing like we all know she can (and we saw glimpses of last year). Keep up the great work, sis!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:15 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

http://thecabin.net/news/2010-01-25/sugar-bear-bear-coaches-describe-some-good-feelings-last-week

Sugar Bear, Bear coaches describe some good feelings last week
Posted: January 25, 2010 - 10:28pm
By David McCollum

Matt Daniel, University of Central Arkansas women’s basketball coach, thinks he is seeing something special develop before him in his second year at the helm.

The Sugar Bears (13-5) have won three Southland Conference games in a row and have exceeded their win total combined from the last two seasons. And Megan Herbert, a freshman post from Shiloh Christian, is getting some national buzz for her 18 straight double-double points and rebound games, which ties her with the legendary Cheryl Miller for the most consecutive double-doubles in NCAA Division I. The Sugar Bears are 3-2 in the SLC, the first time they have been above .500 in SLC play since they have been members of the conference.

“I’m trying to look at things hope versus eailty and realistically, we would have hoped to have won 13 games all season. I think we have exceeded expectations,” said Daniel at Monday’s weekly Bearbacker luncheon. “We trying to get over the hump. We’re not playing great basketball, but we’re 13-5. I realizes the wheels could fall off any minute. We have a good core nucleus with a national superstar who will be around for awhile.”

The “superstar” Daniel is referring to is Herbert, who is second in the nation in rebounding and seventh in scoring.

“She’s doing it as a freshman in her first 18 opportunities,” Daniel said. “She’s on a national stage now. How good is she? I couldn’t tell you. I can tell you how efficient she is.”

Going into Wednesday night’s game against Southeastern Louisiana, the UCA women have won three straight, including a road sweep last week over Nicholls State and McNeese State.

“The key thing is we found a way to win on the road,” Daniel said.

One major factor was Nakeia Guiden, the former Guy-Perkins all-stater who had 20 points and tied career highs with eight rebounds and six assists in the 75-58 victory over McNeese. The 20 points is two off a career high.

“Nakeia is coming into her own,” Daniel said. “People ask me what took her so long. Well, she’s just halfway through her sophomore season and is one of the veterans on our club.”

After Southeastern Louisiana, the Sugar Bears have a road game Saturday at Northwestern State...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:17 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

http://thecabin.net/news/local/2010-01-25/sugar-bear-coach-upbeat-about-progress

Sugar Bear coach upbeat about progress
Posted: January 25, 2010 - 1:39pm
By David McCollum

Realistically, University of Central Arkansas coach Matt Daniel told Bearbackers on Monday, he thought his Sugar Bear basketball team would be able to win 13 games this season.

The Sugar Bears are 13-5 going into Wednesday night's home game against Southeastern Louisiana.

"I think we have exceeded expectations," Daniel said at the weekly Bearbacker luncheon.

One major reason is freshman post Megan Herbert, who has put together 18 straight double-double games (double figures in points and rebounds). That ties her with the legendary Cheryl Miller for third on the all-time NCAA list for consecutive double-doubles.

"She's doing it as a freshman in her first 18 opportunities," Daniel said. "She's on a national stage now. I can't tell you how good she is. I can can tell you how efficient she is."

Herbert ranks seventh in NCAA Division I in scoring and eighth in rebounding...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:02 pm 
Two-Time All-American

She is a dynamo with lots of talent....glad to see her getting in a groove...