It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:58 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Sugar Bears win 53-48!!! Great job ladies and very nice play by play SteveO.

Awesome team effort!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:11 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Megan Herbert only had 24pts and 20 Rebounds to move to 2nd overall in NCAA D1 history for double doubles. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:35 pm 
Two-Time All-American

WOW!!!

UCA storms back in 2nd half to win 53-48 with great defense and rebounding and taking advantage of FTs. SBs extend win streak to 5, secure 1st ever winning season in D1 and take a share of SLC/East !!!! UCA now 15-5/5-2 and NWS falls to 11-8/4-2.

SBs led by Megan Herbert with 24 points and a career high 20 rebounds including 17/14 in 2nd half. Desiree Rogers added 14/7 and Guiden, Rice and Gowans each had 3.

Trudy Armstead came off bench to lead NWS with 18 and UCA held Brittany Houston to only 9 with NONE in 2nd half.

The win snapped a four game losing streak to NWS.

UCA trailed NWS by 34-22 at half, closed to 34-30 early in 2nd, fell back to 41-30 then put on the final charge. UCA won 2nd half by a terrific 31-14. SBs held NWS to NO FGs in final 8:56 of game.

Stats: UCA/NWS

FGs: 15/54=28%; 16-63=25%
3s: 5-16=31%; 5-26=19%
FTs: 18/28=64%; 11-18=61%
Rebounds: 55/40
TOs: 21/113

NWS came in as best SLC team in 3s at 37% and left at only 19% for the game. UCA came in as best defense against 3s at 28% and held NWS to well below that mark.

SBs were 17 of 24 from FT in 2nd half after 1/4 in 1st. UCA outrebounded NWS 31-19 in 2nd half.

Coach: We played awful. ....didn't execute anything...who cares at this point.....they are fighters....Moss played good defense off bench...Moffit was huge on defense....Rogers played good off bench....unbelievable we could shoot so poorly and still win...out of body experience in 1st half....offense really struggled but defense stepped up....ned everybod out at Farris center on Wed night at 7pm to take on Lamar....

Megan Herbert: Took a lot out of us to comeback....got to get every loose ball....played hard and got it done....won game on defense and rebounding....this road win gives us confidence......we are really young and have a lot to learn....had the mentality coming out for 2nd half that we were not going to lose....

SBs are at home next week for two big games...Wed at 7pm they take on SLC/West leading Lamar and Sat at 2pm take on Sam Houston State.

Megan Herbert's 2oth consecutive double double put her past Ann Donovan for 2nd on the D1 all-time DD List...she will be recognized Wed at the Lamar game....

Great game call by SteveO.

GO SugarBears!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:07 pm 
UserName Retired

Great play by play by Steve- O! I thought the SugarBears had decided not to show up..then the second half....wow!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:06 pm 
All-Conference

WOW!!!!! What an amazing comeback for the Sugar Bears!!!! Finding a way to win a game on the road. Just a wonderful job by everyone! Steve-O did a fantastic job of calling the action.

Megan Herbert is a remarkable player, great player to watch. Another double-double, just super real.

Great effort by the team to comeback from double digit deficit.

Now we fans know what to do when they come back this week for two home games. I am not even going to say it because I know what our plan is and I am sure you all know it too.

Enjoy this one! I know I will. See you Wednesday!!! :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:26 pm 
UserName Retired

Sugar Bears rally to move into first place

NATCHITOCHES, La. — The University of Central Arkansas Sugar Bears put on a dramatic comeback Saturday afternoon and moved into first place in the Southland Conference East Division.

The Sugar Bears, who trailed by 14 at one point, rallied from an 11-point deficit in the second half to post a 53-48 victory over Northwestern State and assure themselves their first winning season in NCAA Division I.

The Sugar Bears (15-5, 5-2 ), who have won five games in a row, three on the road, dominated the second half, limiting the Lady Demons (11-8, 4-2) to only 14 points on 15.2 percent shooting, outrebounding them 31-19 and holding a 17-3 scoring advantage at the free-throw line.

Post Megan Herbert pulled the trigger on the comeback with 17 points and 16 rebounds in the second half on the on the way to 24 points and a career-high 20 rebounds. It marked her 20th consecutive double-double, the second longest such streak in Division I history.

She outscored the East-leading Lady Demons 17-14 in the secondhalf and had only three fewer rebounds (16) than the entire Northwestern State team (19).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:02 pm 
Team Captain

What a huge win for the SB's. Wednesday night will be huge, we must get out and support these young ladies. A team's effort is a reflection of its belief in their leadership. That they have accomplished so much so soon is a credit to their work ethic and their buying into what the coach is trying to accomplish in building a program. Congrats SB's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:42 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

1st off, thanks guys, I appreciate the words! But I'd say all the credit goes to the girls, its fun to call when they are rolling, no matter how ugly or pretty a win is!!!

2nd, they just weren't going to lose! Our defense was phenomenal, especially down low in the 2nd half, and out on the perimeter where they do a lot of their damage! This group just has a knack for winning, which doesn't bother me one bit! Other than the Southeastern La game last week, I'm still not sure they have played a totally complete game start to finish in SLC play, but I'm not going to complain when you continue finding ways to win and correct things that need to be corrected in-game to get a winning result. These girls all come from winning backgrounds, and it shows in their desire and determination to win.

http://www.ucasports.com/sport.asp?action=news&sportid=5&article=3495

HERBERT'S HUGE HALF LEADS UCA PAST NSU, INTO FIRST PLACE
WOMEN'S BASKETBALL • Jan 30, 2010
NATCHITOCHES, La — The Sugar Bears are in first place.

Central Arkansas, which trailed by as many as 14, roared back from an 11-point deficit in the second half to defeat Northwestern State 53-48 to pull into first place in the Southland Conference East Division and ensure the Sugar Bears of their first winning season in Division I.

"It's nice to be in first place, but it's early and it's not really about that," UCA head coach Matt Daniel said. "We're trying to win one game at a time, and if you take it that way and handle your business then you look up and suddenly you've won five in a row and three of those on the road. That's what you play to do, is to win and to be in first place. Are we going to stay there? I don't know, but I know that's where we want to be."...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:34 pm 
Two-Time All-American

No offense but we were not crediting you with the win, just a great game call! We also envy you getting to see them play every game. They may not win another game but they will fight .......on the other hand they might win 22+.....get another recuriting class or two on board and the SLC better get ready for the first SB D1 conference championship....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:29 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

yeah, I was saying that tounge-in-cheek, but thanks for the clarification anyway! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:51 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Just kidding.....you do a great broadcast job....