It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reverse psychology works for Sugar Bear coach
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:24 pm 
UserName Retired

McCollum's column: Sugar Bears developing nicely according to plan

Quote:
University of Central Arkansas Sugar Bear coach Matt Daniel may not necessarily be walking on Cloud Nine — but he is tiptoeing on it.

Lots of good things are happening for his team. The Sugar Bears came from 14 down on the road Saturday to defeat Northwestern State, a team that beat them twice last season. They are 15-5 after winning only six games last year. They have assured themselves their first winning season in four years of NCAA Division I basketball. They are 5-2 and tied with Stephen F. Austin for the lead in the Southland Conference East. Freshman post Megan Herbert has 20 straight double-doubles, which puts her alone in second place in NCAA women’s basketball history.

Reverse psychology works for Sugar Bear coach

Quote:
So much for best-laid plans.

Playing at Natchitoches, La., on Saturday, the University of Central Arkansas Sugar Bears trailed Northwestern State in the second half.

“I walked into the locker at halftime and said, ‘Ladies, I really don’t know what to say because I don’t know who you are right now; I think they took it to heart,” said UCA coach Matt Daniel as he described the scene at Monday’s weekly Bearbacker luncheon. “We got off to a fast start in the second half, then hit another lull.