It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 6:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reflections
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:53 pm 
Practice Squad

Now, that I've had a chance to watch a game (via live streaming video from my living room here in Florida!), I am fully ready to engage about this team!

First off... I don't know that I've seen such unselfish basketball in a LONG time... and anyone can score, which makes for a hella fun game! They move the ball and are defensively strong... Board-crashing from start to finish... Beautiful basketball! (Reminded me of some old school Guy-Perkins basketball (LOL), but I digress...)

I love that they are such a young squad achieving this level of success... winning is addictive... Believe me, there are people paying attention across the country!

Megan Herbert is a dang vacuum! She grabs EVERYTHING! It was really fun to watch. I also like that she's first up the floor, never quitting... provides a lot of fast break opportunities... second chance opps... She's a beast, y'all... so impressed.

And, of course, I loved Nakeia Guiden's career high 8 assists in last Saturday's game, just keeps raising the bar in multiple areas of her game... that free throw percentage is much more acceptable this season as well. She's put up some great averages this season, especially in conference play. Still needs to work on turnovers, IMHO, but she'd be one of my 5-on-5 scrimmage picks ANYDAY. :) She's a great young lady that works hard and leaves it all on the floor, I really can't ask for more.

I enjoyed watching Desiree Rogers play again as well. I can't help but wonder what a tandem the Rogers sisters would be right now, but Desiree, keep up the good work!

To everyone else - I knew naming names would get me in trouble, so I apologize for not recognizing everyone individually - you guys rock! The Purple and Grey suits you well.

Kudos to coaching staff as well... So far, I'm loving The Daniel Era! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:53 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

I'm just excited there are people like yourself and others starting to pay attention to, and get behind this Sugar Bear program once again. It's been a much exciting welcome sight after the previous 2 seasons, to put in understated terms!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:00 pm 
Team Captain

You sound like you might be a Guy Perkins girl. Hutch and I played against each other all thru high school and played together at UCA. He is a great friend and an awesome coach. I am glad you are enjoying the girls.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:32 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Quote:
I'm just excited there are people like yourself

Guess us old f....ts just don't merit your praise....?????

(just kidding.....glad to see the SBs attracting attention.....

For old bear...those were great old teams .....Hutch, Couch, Dickey, Graham, Tabor, TJ, Connie Johnson led by that most awesome point guard with a Rush....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:49 am 
Practice Squad

old bear wrote:
You sound like you might be a Guy Perkins girl. Hutch and I played against each other all thru high school and played together at UCA. He is a great friend and an awesome coach. I am glad you are enjoying the girls.

First things first... I'm a old Guy-Perkins DUDE, but it's all good... I tend to speak in general terms, so it's a common mistake.

And to another point made previously, I've been one of the few that stayed in support of the Sugar Bears, through ups AND downs... I've had a vested interest... whether my sister was playing, my brother on the coaching staff, or them letting me sing the national anthem whenever I wanted :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:15 pm 
Team Captain

Those were a really great bunch of guys, Joe Couch's first job was in Clarendon coaching for my dad, and James Dickey, and Kit Moffit and Hutch and Mel Blackwood and Freddie Divatorrio were all great teammates. I spent more minutes helping with academics than on the floor but had a great experience with people that understood TEAM.

I am sorry I missed the dude/gal thing, but it is nice to have loyal fans from far away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:13 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Gosh, how could I have missed Mel and the others......there was also Rock Massarelli whose daughter later ran CC for Coach Martin...