It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 5:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Fan Appreciation Supper
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:29 am 
UserName Retired

A very good column by DMc in today's LCD.

McCollum's Column: Sugar Bear celebration sprang from the joy of fans
By David McCollum

On the way to 21 victories, what the University of Central Arkansas Sugar Bears won most last season were the hearts of their fans.

Thursday night’s appreciation dinner evolved at the grassroots level.

The Sugar Bears planted the seeds with the 21-8 season in which they fell just short of a regular-season division championship. Albeit playing one of the softest NCAA Division I schedules in the country, strategically crafted, with the nation’s youngest team, the Sugar Bears managed a 15-victory turnaround from the year before, the eighth-greatest in Division I history. It included a stirring and decisive win over Southland Conference champ Lamar.

A lot of UCA fans had a lot of fun watching basketball again.

Some of them had so much fun they decided to throw the team a party.

One phone call or e-mail or message board post led to another and a posse of strong supporters, including Rush Harding, decided to make the party a first-class celebration. Soon, the special events center at Centennial Valley was secured.

Then, someone suggested to make the appreciation dinner a fundraiser for the UCA women’s program. So, they began selling tickets. And folks started buying them just because they wanted to feel good about UCA basketball again and pass along to the players their appreciation.

Then, they decided to add trappings. And that’s why Bill Plummer spent most of Thursday decorating the room and tables.

And that’s how about 250 folks packed the events center Thursday night for an outstanding buffet meal. That included several UCA coaches and athletes in various sports, including about 30 members of the UCA football team and the entire football coaching staff. According to NCAA rules, the athletes had to pay their way, but at $5 a pop for students to gain access to an all-you-can-eat buffet, it was a deal.

“It’s fun following a team through the course of a season and spend some time recognizing that special trip,” said Brad Teague, UCA’s athletic director.

In addition to the on-court success, the team has compiled a 3.21 grade-point average.

“They represent what we want all student-athletes to represent,” said Dr. Allen Meadors, UCA president. “They play hard, but they come to get an education and be ready to graduate.”

It was left to second-year coach Matt Daniel to preach to the choir — and he preached with evangelistic fervor. All that was lacking was an altar call.

He praised the family atmosphere among coaches and players at UCA, saying how the athletes on various teams often join each other in social events and noting that new men’s basketball coach Corliss Williamson, who is in the process of moving to Conway but lives in Little Rock for now, has the key to his house and his garage door code if he needs to stay over.

He said he and volleyball coach Steve McRoberts are joining forces soon to host a fundraising poker tournament.

“I came here to not only be part of my family again but to be part of a family here,” he said.

With his voice rising in passion, Daniels said he came to UCA with a vision, which is far from complete.

“I came here for us to hang banners and win jewelry,” he said.

Comparing the current situation to a new car, he urged his core supporters to floor it.

“We are working with the speed limits of Conway and the state of Arkansas,” he said. “I would like to take this thing to the Autobahn and floor it.”

From ticket sales, the event netted $1,570 for the Sugar Bear program. Private donations added $15,250 to that total.

That’s pretty good from something that grew out of sheer fan excitement over some notable baby steps for the program.

“You were 14-1 at home, and that’s the worst record I’ve seen from a Sugar Bear basketball team — and the best record I’ve seen,” said Meadors, in his first year as president, with a chuckle.

He noted the Sugar Bears have set the bar high.

But you know what? I didn’t see anybody flinch.

(Sports columnist David McCollum can be reached at 505-1235 or david.mccollum@thecabin.net)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:42 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Coach D is pumped...we just have to get 3000+ fans into the FC next season for each game...need a plan....not just waiting to see if they come....wish I could have been there but it sounded great.....thanks to all who helped put this on....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:57 pm 
2nd Team

3,000 would be pretty ambitious. if we can't even average one-third of that with this year's team, we're probably not going to triple that next year.
some numbers to consider. the average attendance for all of Division I in 2009 was 1,664. the SLC average was 787. (can't find 2010 numbers yet)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:41 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Your point is? Does anyone think Conque does not plan to win FCS? Oh wait, we were only 5-7 last year and 8-3 would be just swell. Coach D thinks he can win SLC next year and go to NCAA......they may not but got to try...I would rather try to get 3000 per game and get only 1500 than target 1500 because it would be more realistic....the folks are around.....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:54 pm 
UserName Retired

I think the student attendance needs to step up considerably. Hopefully winning will be gimmick enough to get more students to the games this year.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:46 pm 
2nd Team

unfortunately, it takes more of a gimmick than just winning to get kids out these days, especially for women's basketball. check the numbers above. not sure what will get them out but it would be nice to have them.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:53 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

The fans will come back, they started to this year, we saw that. To the tune of 3K per every home game, I dont know, I'd sure hope so, but numbers suggest maybe not 3K per every single home game. But I bet they come back more than last year.