It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 4:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fan Appreciation Supper
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:05 am 
UserName Retired

Through a very nice gesture from one of our members of this fanboard, an appreciation supper is going to be held on April 8th at the Centennial Valley Country Club to honor the Sugars Bears and have the opportunity to personally say "thank you" to them for a very exciting season of basketball that the girls have provided us fans.

Here's some info:

What: Sugar Bears Fan Appreciation Supper

When: April 8, 2010 from 6:00-8:00 pm

Where: Centennial Valley Country Club

Attire: "Come as you would" to the ball game

Cost: $10/person and $5/student with ID. Advanced ticket sales are necessary. Will post a cutoff date later.

All proceeds from ticket sales will be donated to the Sugar Bears basketball
program. Tickets will be available at the Feb. 24th and March 6th games. Tickets may also be purchased at Buffalo Hall and the AD's office beginning Thursday, Feb. 25th.

Let's have a big crowd, meet one-on-one with the team, enjoy some good food and have a good time. This will be a most opportune time to show the girls our support as fans for the appreciation they deserve for their efforts and their success.

If there are any questions feel free to ask and I'll try to come up with an answer.

Last edited by Honey Bear on Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:34 am 
Two-Time All-American

Great – glad this happening. Good job to those who got this organized. Hopefully there's a good response. $10/person is quite reasonable – barely more than going to Sonic, and you get a lot more out of this.

I do have one question though, HB ... you say tickets will be available at the games on Feb. 24 and March 3. The girls will be at Stephen F. Austin then (in a game that may very well decide the East Division crown). Did you mean March 6 or will the tickets just be sold at the guys game vs SFA on the 3rd?

Post subject: Re: Fan Appreciation Supper
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:18 pm 
UserName Retired

You're correct BM. It's March 6th. Thanks. Just planning on selling the tickets at the girls games.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:57 pm 
UserName Retired

This is a great thing! A big thanks to all of you who put it together!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:08 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Thanks to all who put this together...unlikely I can get there but will try to help out financially....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:20 pm 
All-Conference

I thank those who put this amazing idea together. I was thinking softball plays that same night, but if they don't, I will be there right after class. I will buy my ticket at the last game March 6th. This has been a fun year. Four more games to go!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:46 pm 
2nd Team

agreed, the SBs have had a great year, and done it with a bunch of young players. but say they finish second or third in the division (which they probably won't). are we going to start honoring all our teams that finish second or third in their half of the division? I'm all about recognizing accomplishments, but shouldn't they win something first? football finished second in the overall conference in their first full year and we didn't do anything then. VB went 16-0 and we didn't do anything. why now?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:34 pm 
UserName Retired

I think the simple answer is because some one/people decided they would foot the bill for this one.
I'm sure that if you wanted to put up some money for volleyball or all 80+ players/coaches/managers for football, there'd be some people around here that would help you put it together and support it.

The team, however, did go from 2 conference wins to a minimum of 9. From a tie for last in the division to currently in a tie for first. They've taken the transition argument and thrown it out the window. Oh, and they can still win their division.

Did football deserve some recognition two seasons ago? Certainly, and I think they got it.
Did volleyball deserve some recognition the past two seasons? Without a doubt. You can't do better than perfection in the conference. Maybe next year when they repeat someone can put something together for them.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:46 pm 
Two-Time All-American

SBs basketball is the top turnaround story in D1 women's basketball in terms of increased number of wins....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:03 pm 
UserName Retired

Quote:
we didn't do anything then

Nobody's stopping you. Knock yourself out. Oh yeah, how many tickets do you need for the basketball supper?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:29 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

I'm all for this dinner, but I may not be the most objective person to be asking about this thing either!

In the future, you may not want to, or feel like honoring teams that dont necessarily win divisions/championships/etc. But for this group, this program, I'm all for it. When you stop and consider that this season and its accomplishments (to this point) are coming off the heels of the worst season ever in program's history, I think its warranted. There were only 3 returnees from last season's squad, this group happens to be the youngest team in D1 basketball, and them getting done what they have to this point... what a group! Does that warrant a celebration/banquet every year, I dont know, I'm not the judge/jury on that, I dont know who is. But if one or more are going to be more that generous and donate their time, money, and efforts to put this thing together, then why not!

Besides, who's to say this wouldnt be a great thing after every year anyway? As the title of this thread suggest, a 'Fan Appreciation' supper after every season would be a great way to cap every year, to bring together team and fans, and continue to raise money for this program. I only see this as a win-win all the way around. The fact there is even an event such as this speaks to how far this group and program has come in such short time! I cant wait for these final four games, starting Wednesday night at home! I hope all you guys/girls come out, too!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:55 am 
Two-Time All-American

Any reason to honor a team's accomplishments is a good thing.

If it can be used to raise some much needed funding for that program it is AN EVEN BETTER THING.

I will be buying tickets whether I can attend or not.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:17 pm 
UserName Retired

Quote:
If it can be used to raise some much needed funding for that program it is AN EVEN BETTER THING.

And that is one of the purposes of the supper. Not one penny of UCA money is being used to help sponsor the supper.

Quote:

Hopefully, other people will follow your example 75. However, your attendance is encouraged. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:36 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Honey Bear wrote:
Quote:

And that is one of the purposes of the supper. Not one penny of UCA money is being used to help sponsor the supper.

Quote:

Hopefully, other people will follow your example 75. However, your attendance is encouraged. :wink:

Oh, I will be there if at all possible.

I am going to be out of town that day, just depends on my return time.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:46 pm 
Two-Time All-American

you can always be unfashionably late.