It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 8:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Alabama Game
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:57 am 
Team Captain

Sorry Coach and I know it is too early and it is not even the first game, but I am going out on a limb and predicting the Sugar Bears will beat Alabama of the SEC on the road in November. I will be there cheering for the girls. We are so excited about the upcoming season!

Post subject: Re: Alabama Game
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:28 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Pretty brave prediction but it would not at all surprise me.

Last edited by BearsFan52 on Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:02 am 
UserName Retired

This game appears very winnable...especially when they come to the Farris Center. Last season Alabama finish 12-18 (4-13) vs DI competition (RPI 174); we finished 17-8 (11-5) vs DIs (RPI 209). I'm sure Coach Daniel will have them ready to play!!

I never thought I would say this, but is it basketball season yet? :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:15 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

since I'm starting to get excited now, just a small sneak peak at the opponent for our 2nd game The Alabama Crimson Tide:

Quote:
Alabama continued to make progressive strides during the 2009-10 season as it finished the regular season with its highest SEC win total since 2005. Several returning individuals made record-setting performances last season including seniors Tierney Jenkins and Varisia Raffington and junior Ericka Russell. Jenkins led the SEC in double-doubles with 11, and became the 22nd member of Alabama's 1,000 Point Club on Feb. 25. She also broke the single-game rebounding record, which had been set over 30 years ago, by collecting 27 at Belmont on Nov. 21. With her 33 points against Cal State Bakersfield on Nov. 28, Raffington secured her place in the No. 7 spot on Alabama's single-game scoring leaders list. Russell also cemented her name in the annals tying the most points scored in a single game by a sophomore with 30 against Georgia on March 4.

Alabama's signing class ranks ninth on the ESPNU HoopGurlz 100 list, which is the highest ranking in the SEC. Among the Tide's newcomers is its first McDonald's High School All-American and No. 5 overall recruit Kaneisha Horn, the No. 65 overall signee and No. 17 guard Jasmine Robinson and No. 23 wing Khristin Lee.

The bigger they are, the harder they fall!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:39 pm 
Two-Time All-American

joshuca wrote:
This game appears very winnable...especially when they come to the Farris Center. Last season Alabama finish 12-18 (4-13) vs DI competition (RPI 174); we finished 17-8 (11-5) vs DIs (RPI 209). I'm sure Coach Daniel will have them ready to play!!

I never thought I would say this, but is it basketball season yet? :lol:

Bama played 13 non D1 games last year?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:31 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Bama 82 Tennessee St. 55

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/womens-bas ... 1011120006

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:44 pm 
UserName Retired

Halftime
UCA 42
UofA 41

Go Sugarbears!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:09 pm 
UserName Retired

UofA 56
UCA 50

Sounds like the SEC may be calling in some of that infamous home court advantage (read "pay off the refs") to start the 2nd half.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:06 pm 
UserName Retired

Great effort bybthe Sugarbears, but fall 87-76.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:29 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Listened to first half before running out of radio range. Give it to the ladies that they did not in anyway get intimidated by an SEC team. They played gear the first half and started the 2nd fine but then seemed to get out of sync. Anyone who thinks Herbert's double-doubles are flukes, look what she did on the road at a SEC..26 and 16. This team has weapons and depth. Who two years ago would have thought the SBs would go on the road and play an SEC team like this? My guess is they are kicking themselves for not winning. Learn from it and take care of business in all the teams you are supposed to win and it will be a great season.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:54 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

http://www.ucasports.com/news/2010/11/14/WBB_1114105003.aspx

SUGAR BEARS SPUTTER IN SECOND HALF, FALL 87-76 TO ALABAMA
11/14/2010 5:46:50 PM

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — Leading for most of the first half Sunday against Alabama, Central Arkansas appeared poised to score its first-ever win against a Southeastern Conference opponent. But after taking a 42-41 lead into the locker room at halftime, the Sugar Bears couldn't keep pace in the second half and fell 87-76 to the Crimson Tide at Coleman Coliseum.

"We came out solid in the first half, but in the second half the mentality flipped," said UCA head coach Matt Daniel. "Alabama's attitude flipped and ours changed as well – theirs for the positive and ours negative and it didn't play out the way we wanted."

The Tide (2-0) jumped ahead early in the second half, starting with a 15-6 run over the first 3:56 to surge ahead 56-48. They took the lead for good on the first of back-to-back 3-pointers from Ericka Russell, the second one giving Alabama a 52-48 edge with 17:24 left. The lead extended to as many as nine with 14 minutes to go, but the Sugar Bears refused to go away quietly...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:56 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

http://www.rolltide.com/sports/w-baskbl/recaps/111410aaa.html

Women's Basketball Tops Central Arkansas 87-76 Tierney Jenkins contributes 27 points and 11 rebounds to help the Tide go 2-0 for the first time since 2004
Nov. 14, 2010

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. - The women's basketball team improved to 2-0 on the season with an 87-76 win over the Central Arkansas Sugar Bears on Sunday at Coleman Coliseum. It is the first time since the 2004 season that the Crimson Tide has opened the season with back-to-back victories.

Senior forward Tierney Jenkins scored a game-high 27 points, two shy of her career-high, to go along with a team-high 11 rebounds. It was the 25th double-double of Jenkins' career. Junior guard Ericka Russell added 12 points, while senior forward Katie Hancock scored 10 points for the Tide.

"We had to run, and run, and run, and we changed the tempo of the game and got some easy baskets in the second half," Alabama head coach Wendell Hudson said. "From that point on, Central Arkansas was coming from behind, and they were willing to play that kind of basketball. They made some great shots, but they missed a lot of shots that they probably would have made if they had not been running the whole game."...

"They weren't going away, and they didn't care who we were," Jenkins said...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:58 am 
UserName Retired

Second-half lapses against Tide concern UCA’s Daniel

Quote:
The University of Central Arkansas Sugar Bears played before a larger crowd against NCAA Division III Hendrix (about 1,400) than Sunday at Division I Alabama (about 200).

That led Sugar Bear coach Matt Daniel to get philosophical during an appearance at Monday’s weekly Bearbacker luncheon.

UCA led almost the entire first half in taking a 42-41 lead going into intermission.

The Tide rallied in the second half on the way to an 87-76 victory at Tuscaloosa.