It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 12:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SLC Play
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:40 pm 
UserName Retired

Starts on Saturday @ Lamar. We still have one more warm up game before then vs Ecclesia tomorrow at 5:30 in the FC. Lamar enters the game with a record of 11-3 while we come in at 7-5. This should be a good measure of where we stand in the SLC this season.

Post subject: Re: SLC Play
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:44 pm 
UserName Retired

SUGARBEARS dispose of EC, 93-54, in the final tune-up before traveling to TX to face defending SLC champs Lamar.

Go SUGARBEARS!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:26 pm 
2nd Team

are Stewart and Guiden hurt?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:29 pm 
2nd Team

from ucasports.com:

The Sugar Bears will be shorthanded, missing junior guards Nakeia Guiden and Sidney Stewart. Stewart has been released from the team, but will remain on scholarship as she continues to pursue her degree from the university.

Guiden will miss the game due to injury. No decision has been made yet on when she will return.

well, apparently one of them is.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:37 pm 
UserName Retired

Wow! I wonder why Stewart was dismissed.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:34 am 
Redshirt

Stewart has been a source of trouble in every program with which she has been associated. This has continued at UCA. At UCA she was a negative factor on trips, at practice, and in the locker room. Matt took a chance when he took her in the program. If was a risk which was not proving out. The TEAM will be better off. Matt made the right decision!

Go Sugar Bears...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:58 am 
UserName Retired

I noticed on one play in a recent game Stewart split the defense to get an offensive rebound (which I thought was fantastic) and was called for over the back. She was probably ticked off about the call but her attitude went beyond just frustration. She followed that up next offensive play down with a baseball pass to her teammate under that basket that was impossible for her to catch...and I don't mean a fast pass..I mean a hard fast throw...uncatchable. She just didn't seem like she wanted to be there. A whatever attitude. But that was just an outsiders view of what I was watching. Recent actions by coach explains alot to me though. Good luck to her wherever she lands. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:30 am 
UserName Retired

TRUEBEAR wrote:
Stewart has been a source of trouble in every program with which she has been associated. This has continued at UCA. At UCA she was a negative factor on trips, at practice, and in the locker room. Matt took a chance when he took her in the program. If was a risk which was not proving out. The TEAM will be better off. Matt made the right decision!

Go Sugar Bears...

If this is the case, then I hope she was what has been keeping this team from really coming together as well as last years team. Now that she is gone, let's see if this team can dominate the SLC!

Go Sugarbears!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:58 am 
Team Captain

We've heard these rumors for the last 18 months. It is to bad, she played hard every play but basketball is a team sport and one or two distractors no matter how good can destroy an otherwise quality team. I wish Miss Stewart the very best and hope she learns that life is also a team sport.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:51 am 
UserName Retired

A cancer only grows unless it's removed. Even then, it can be too late. Hopefully, this won't be the case with this year's team.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:40 pm 
Team Captain

Matt is as good a man as I know, he has agonized over this decision. She plays hard and wants to win but it just was not a good fit. I have been around the girls in several social settings and SS was always a lady and nice around me. I only wish her the best and I am sorry things did not work out. A COACH WILL DEFINE A PLAYERS ROLE ON A TEAM. IT IS THE PLAYER'S RESPONSIBILITY TO EMBRACE THAT ROLE AND CONTRIBUTE TO THE FABRIC OF THE TEAM IN A POSITIVE WAY. That is the way a team sport works. My role for the UCA Bears in the 70's was to support my teammates, practice hard, keep the shot chart for Coach Nixon, pray for Jim Pickett to make his free throws and to make sure everyone got their homework done. I embraced my role and tried to do it well!!!! Oh, the free throw situation did not always work out.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:15 pm 
UserName Retired

old bear wrote:
Matt is as good a man as I know, he has agonized over this decision. She plays hard and wants to win but it just was not a good fit. I have been around the girls in several social settings and SS was always a lady and nice around me. I only wish her the best and I am sorry things did not work out. A COACH WILL DEFINE A PLAYERS ROLE ON A TEAM. IT IS THE PLAYER'S RESPONSIBILITY TO EMBRACE THAT ROLE AND CONTRIBUTE TO THE FABRIC OF THE TEAM IN A POSITIVE WAY. That is the way a team sport works. My role for the UCA Bears in the 70's was to support my teammates, practice hard, keep the shot chart for Coach Nixon, pray for Jim Pickett to make his free throws and to make sure everyone got their homework done. I embraced my role and tried to do it well!!!! Oh, the free throw situation did not always work out.

Old Bear, I laughed so hard when I read that! Then you follow it up with that last line.... :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:55 am 
Two-Time All-American

old bear wrote:

Jim Pickett, may his memory be eternal.