It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SLC Championship Game - #1 vs. #3
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:00 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

Well, it's come down to this: #3 UCA vs #1 McNeese State. Winner goes to the NCAA Tournament and wins a Southland title. Airtime is 6:45 pm on The Bear 91.3 and UCAsports.com, plus whatever the station the game is on back at home tv-wise I'm sure.

UCA (21-10) has won 6 in a row. McNeese State hasnt lost since they came to Conway. There really isnt much else to add, it's for all the marbles, the trophy, etc. That should be suffice enough!

GO SUGAR BEARS!

Post subject: Re: SLC Championship Game - #1 vs. #3
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:08 pm 
Practice Squad

http://www.ucasports.com/news/2011/3/10/WBB_0310115758.aspx

Quote:
NCAA TOURNEY BID AT STAKE FOR SUGAR BEARS IN FIRST YEAR ELIGIBLE
3/10/2011 9:52:34 PM

KATY, Texas — It's been nearly a decade for some Southland schools since making the finals of the conference tournament championship. For others, it's been multiple decades. For others, it has never happened.

For Central Arkansas, it is happening in Year One.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:56 pm 
UserName Retired

Halftime

McNeese 37
UCA 26

I don't get giving the cowgirls open jumpers in the lane over and over again. Plus our girls are doing crazy leaning difficult shots. Good defense by McNeese but we don't seem to have a game plan to score. :roll: Tale of two halves I hope! Commish said Lamar, McNeese and UCA should be in post season tournys..maybe WNIT?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:05 pm 
UserName Retired

Ouch...not off to a good start in the 2nd half

Also, there are two "other" post season tournaments for women. I think Coach said all-in-all about 110 women's team will make one of the 3 tournaments. Any of the 3 would be a great experience for this team.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:18 pm 
All-American

This is getting ugly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:33 pm 
UserName Retired

Well, it was a great run through the SLC Tournament! Too bad we couldn't win it all in our first year, but next year should be even better!
Hopefully we will still get to continue postseason play in one of the other tournaments! Good luck ladies!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:59 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Cowgirls 71-50 over SugarBears

Hard for the ladies to take a 21 point loss but we should all be very proud of them..great season..two 21 wins season back to back...the SugarBears are BACK....first D1 post-season and they get to the finals....I think if I were Coach D I would make sure they see that runner-up trophy every day from now until next year this time ...then they can replace it with the top one.....

Herbert 13/6
Duever 13/6
Desiree 9/2

Desiree Rogers named to All-Tourney team.

SBs end season 21-12 with 13-6 SLC record.

UCA v MSU

FG: 41% v 55%
3s: 31% v 36%
FT: 57% v 69%
Rebs: 24 v 34
A/TO: 10/14 v 9/11

Asst Coach Tiffany Brooks: McNeese played extremely hard and executed offense and tough defense...we just did not get enough stops. We are extremely proud of this team. overall a good season and will continue to get better.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:19 am 
Team Captain

Any real chance of a WNIT bid ?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:39 am 
Redshirt

Quote:
Any real chance of a WNIT bid ?

On the Lamar site: Lady Cards headed to the postseason

Looks like Lamar gets the Southland's automatic bid. At-large bids will be announced Monday, but strength of schedule could be a challenge. We'll see.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:01 am 
Redshirt

Congratulations to the Sugar Bears on a fine season and best of luck in getting a post-season bid! It would be great to see three SLC teams in post season.
The East Division of the SLC was certainly the strongest this year -- 5 of the 6 division teams made the SLC tournament and the top 3 seeds were all from the East.

I was able to attend only one session, the Cowgirls game against Southeastern on day one. Before the game I had the pleasure of talking briefly with a UCA lady fan who had driven "502" miles for the tournament. Several McNeese fans told her they wished good luck to the Sugar Bears against Lamar. She was a typical classy UCA fan.

I watched the championship game on TV (ESPN Full Court) and was very impressed with the Cowgirls who really seemed to be on a mission. Before the game I really thought the keys would be for the Cowgirls to hold their own in rebounding and to keep the Sugar Bears off the free throw line. I do think those two things were the big difference, but I never would have imagined the Cowgirls would have made 55% of their shots! I do think that the tough game against Lamar took something out of the Sugar Bears -- it certainly was not their typical level of play, but I do think the Cowgirls had a lot to do with that, too. The Cowgirls outrebounded the taller SB's. And UCA which had made a killing at the free throw line in both of their other tournament games didn't find the free throw line as often against McNeese. McNeese played good defense without committing (too many) senseless fouls. Maybe some of those "crazy leaning" shots by the Sugar Bears was their trying too hard to pick up a foul against the Cowgirls and not concentrating on making the basket. (Side note: the SLC officials definitely need to work on calling charging/blocking fouls correctly. Both teams were victimized by that.)

For the Cowgirls they are headed to the Big Dance FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER!

With both UCA and McNeese having relatively young teams, chances are these two teams will have many more epic battles in the years to come.

Geaux Cowgirls! Go Sugar Bears!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:09 am 
UserName Retired

Thanks and good luck to the Cowgirls in the Big Dance!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:01 pm 
Redshirt

SUGAR BEARS FALL SHORT IN SOUTHLAND TITLE GAME

Amazingly, no mention here of Desiree' Rogers being selected to the all-tournament team. I guess if it's not about Megan, it's not worth mentioning...

Congratulations Desiree'. You had a great tournament and it was a pleasure watching you play!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:15 pm 
Team Captain

Des is one of my favorite players, she knows it, too! She had a great tournament. In my eyes, one of the biggest challenges with this team is finding enough minutes to keep everyone happy. I know your comment was meant more for fans and you did not mean it as a dig at MH, but MH is very humble young lady that only wants what is best for her teammates, team, and University. I am proud of how many of the players stepped up in the tournament when there was a lot of focus and pressure on MH. A great year for the girls that is not over yet. We will play in a post season event.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:46 pm 
Redshirt

Quote:
I know your comment was meant more for fans and you did not mean it as a dig at MH

Not at Megan, at whoever wrote and approved the article for posting.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:47 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Be nice for the ladies to get another game in post season......

Good luck to McNeese ...they certainly deserve the chance to play in NCAAs after the defense they played against us....