It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Sugar Bears v. Alabama 11.15.2011
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:06 pm 
UserName Retired

Awesome job Sugarbears! 2-0 to start the season with two of the biggest wins in program history!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:21 pm 
UserName Retired

Impressive win? You bet. Shooting was horrendous but the hustle was outstanding.

I'd also like to add an impressive job of broadcasting by Steve Owens. This young man has really found his niche in his play-by-play calling of the Sugar Bears and the baseball team. I hope he is around for a long time. I might be wearing Depends by the time he gets to his 25th or 30th UCA broadcasting anniversary but I look forward to the day. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:30 pm 
UserName Retired

Honey Bear wrote:
Impressive win? You bet. Shooting was horrendous but the hustle was outstanding.

I'd also like to add an impressive job of broadcasting by Steve Owens. This young man has really found his niche in his play-by-play calling of the Sugar Bears and the baseball team. I hope he is around for a long time. I might be wearing Depends by the time he gets to his 25th or 30th UCA broadcasting anniversary but I look forward to the day. :wink:

I agree on all accounts HB!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:42 pm 
All-American

Ditto, HB. I highly recommend attending the game and listening to the broadcast at the same time!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:45 pm 
Starter

How "bout dem SUGAR BEARS?
Another BIG win for the program!
Outstanding HUSTLE to the ball. These girls make rebounding look easy.
SUGAR BEAR BASKETBALL...AIN'T NOTHIN' SWEET ABOUT IT!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:47 pm 
Team Captain

Never enjoyed a game more. The Sugar Bears play with a lot of heart. Good crowd but against Alabama, was hoping for 4,000! Now we a got to come together and take them one game at a time. This could be a Royal Purple season, if the ladies commit to improving each game the entire season. Go Sugar Bears.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:13 pm 
UserName Retired

Great start for the SBs. Hustle is never a problem. Had to watch on internet tonight but got to catch Steve's game call. Always enjoy Steve's postgame interviews with Matt and one of the players...these are real and not some ESPN contrived thing. Herbert was so excited tonght.

Go SugarBears!!

http://www.ucasports.com/news/2011/11/15/WBB_1115113053.aspx

CROWD RISES, TIDE FALLS

"The thing we're establishing here, it's becoming one of the toughest places to play in the nation in women's college basketball," said fourth-year UCA head coach Matt Daniel, who picked up his 50th win at the school. "But we have to continue to grow it. We haven't played a great game of basketball yet, but we do have a great environment. The test comes not only for our team, but for our community as well, on Monday night. Are they coming to watch our opponent, or are they coming to watch us and cheer us on? I hope that we double this thing on Monday and fill the whole place up vs. Paul Quinn."

http://www.rolltide.com/sports/w-baskbl/recaps/111511aaa.html

CONWAY, Ark. - The women's basketball team suffered its first loss of the 2011-12 season, falling 58-46 at Central Arkansas on Tuesday at the Farris Center. The Crimson Tide is now 1-1 on the season, while the Sugar Bears improve to 2-0.

Central Arkansas capitalized on its 18 trips to the free throw line, scoring 22 points from the stripe, while also collecting 23 offensive boards resulting in 21 second-chance points.

"We did not play very good basketball tonight," said Alabama head coach Wendell Hudson. "We gave up 23 offensive rebounds and had 24 turnovers. This team is going through a little bit of growing pains together. We just could not get five people on the same page tonight. Like I told the team after the game, two games does not make up a season. When we play together, we are a pretty good basketball team."

Sophomore Jasmine Robinson finished as Alabama's leading scorer with 13 points, while also adding a game-high four steals. Junior Kyra Crosby collected a team-best seven rebounds in addition to three thefts.

A free throw by Robinson got the Tide on the board first at the 17:40 mark, however neither team was able to get much going offensively in the early part of the game. Alabama would hold onto the lead until a pair of free throws put the Sugar Bears in front 8-7 with 8:58 to go. Central Arkansas extended its lead to as many as eight in the half, taking advantage of eight trips to the free throw line. The Tide pulled within two with 15 seconds to play thanks to an 8-2 run, but a last second put-back for the Sugar Bears gave Central Arkansas a 24-20 lead at the break.

Despite being down at the half, Alabama did end up with a better shooting percentage from the floor, going 9-for-31 (29.0 percent), while Central Arkansas was 6-for-29 (20.7 percent).

The Tide scored three points to open the second to close the gap to one point, but two more quick trips to the free throw line for the Sugar Bears put the lead back at five with 17:27 on the clock. Central Arkansas would take its first double-digit advantage of the game at the 7:23 mark, leading 44-34. Alabama would come within eight, but would not get any closer for the duration of the game.

Next up, Alabama returns home to take on Northwestern State on Friday, November 18. Tipoff in Foster Auditorium is slated for 6:30 p.m. CT.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:36 am 
All-Conference

Outstanding! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Go Bears!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:49 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

http://thecabin.net/sports/college/2011-11-15/sugar-bears-turn-back-tide-just-indiana#.TsPbb1ZjOkI
Quote:
Sugar Bears turn back Tide just like Indiana
Posted: November 15, 2011 - 10:35pm
By David McCollum

The University of Central Arkansas Sugar Bears are in a rut.

A nice one.

The Sugar Bears defeated off their second name major college opponent in a row, Alabama. And they did it by the same score as they knocked off Indiana last Friday, 58-46.

The UCA women (2-0) won before 3,320 at the Farris Center despite shooting 28.8 percent from the field.

“I didn’t feel like we played that well the whole night. We did not play good basketball on offense at all, but when you lock in on defense and hustle on the offensive board, you’ve got a shot,” UCA coach Matt Daniel said. “Whenever you hold a team under 50 points, you have a great chance to win.”...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:15 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

And to the other things, all I can say is "Thank you, it means a lot to hear/read this! -Steve O

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:31 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

As far this this game, and these first two games to this point really, is that this group has not played real great, and obviously hasnt shot the ball well at all. BUT they have still been the more aggressive team, they have out hustled the other team, they are battling like crazy on the boards, and they are stopping people on defense AND doing what they need to do to find ways to win. Thats exciting and encouraging because that would indicate to me that their best basketball this season is still coming! Its not like they played perfect basketball these 1st two games and took everything they had to beat Indiana and Alabama. Far from it, had some shots fallen we couldve very easily blown both of them out!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:34 am 
Team Captain

Gotten so wrapped up the great play of the Sugar Bears, forgot to ask did anyone note how bad LA Tech beat Ole Miss? Based on the score (and remember we played at their place and Tech played at Ole Miss), we would be about a 20 favorite over Ole Miss.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:42 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

Wanna know how tough the SLC woman are this season? The Lamar women beat Ole Miss last night and McNeese only lost to UCLA by 8 or 9 in LA last weekend. The SLC is going to be a total battle royal this season!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:00 pm 
All-American

Great win. The game was very sloppy on O but we did what we needed to. D looked great. Need to practice hard and continue to improve before Monday nights game. And like others said ahead of me the Radio broadcast was great, exciting to listen to.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:44 pm 
UserName Retired

Bear Fan 101 wrote:
"Thank you, it means a lot to hear/read this! -Steve O

I said I'd be wearing Depends - not hearing aids. Image