It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rushing Recaps
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:17 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

http://www.arkansassports360.com/31668/uca-sugar-bears-turn-to-veteran-rushing-as-coach
Quote:
UCA Sugar Bears Turn To Veteran Sandra Rushing As Coach
by Todd Traub
5/31/2012 at 4:28pm

You can't argue with the resume.

Central Arkansas turned to a proven commodity when it named NCAA veteran Sandra Rushing coach of the women's basketball team Thursday. Rushing has won more than 400 games and earned numerous accolades in her 23-year head coaching career spanning every division of NCAA basketball.

"Coach Sandra Rushing has been a head coach since she was 25," UCA Athletic Director Brad Teague said. "She has over 10 years of experience at a Division I program and 10 years at the top Division II program in the country. She is a winner and doesn't accept anything but success. Coach Rushing is a tireless recruiter and is committed to molding young women to success on and off the court. She will thrive at UCA as a coach and person. She will enjoy the atmosphere among all our athletics staff and support the other sports as they will do the same for her program."...

Post subject: Re: Rushing Recaps
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:18 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

http://thecabin.net/sports/college/2012-05-31/rushing-top-choice-ucas-teague#.T8jO-FI8WG4
Quote:
Rushing top choice for UCA's Teague
Posted: May 31, 2012 - 10:30pm
By David McCollum

Sure, he had a contingency list, said University of Central Arkansas athletic director Brad Teague.

“All AD’s have a list, right? This list was up here,” said Teague, pointing to his head. “At the top of the list (for women’s basketball coaches) was Sandra Rushing. And I was excited to see that the person at the top of my list was interested and excited to be here.”

Thus, Teague told a news conference Thursday he was able to hire Rushing, whose teams averaged 28 wins per season the last seven years at Delta State, within two days after Matt Daniel left after four seasons to become the head coach at Marshall University...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:19 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

http://thecabin.net/sports/college/2012-05-31/rushing-makes-positive-immediately-impression-sugar-bears#.T8jPQVI8WG4
Quote:
Rushing makes positive immediate impression on Sugar Bears
Posted: May 31, 2012 - 10:23pm
By David McCollum

Sandra Rushing seemed to pass her first recruiting challenge Thursday as new University of Central Arkansas Sugar Bear basketball coach.

Among those in the packed Hall of Fame Room at Estes Stadium were returning players from the Sugar Bear basketball that went 24-7 and won a Southland Conference regular-season title last season. After a short meet-and-instruction session with the team before the introductory news conference, the players, still numbed a bit from the sudden departure of Matt Daniel to Marshall, seemed re-engergized.

“It’s been a crazy few days, but we stuck together,” said post Megan Herbert, noting the coaching transition took place in fewer than three days. “I’m excited. She knows how to win and I think she’s gonna push us to greater things.”...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:26 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

I wish I had an ArDemGaz online subscription so I could post Jeremy Muck's articles on here, but I dont...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:14 pm 
Practice Squad

Rushing in as coach as UCA moves fast

By Jeremy Muck

CONWAY — Less than an hour before her introductory news conference as Central Arkansas’ women’s basketball coach, Sandra Rushing gathered her new players in the Hall of Fame Room at Estes Stadium, getting to know a team that has won 21 games each of the past three seasons.

In what was described as a “whirlwind” by Rushing, the former Delta State coach interviewed for the Sugar Bears’ position Wednesday with UCA Athletic Director Brad Teague and was named Thursday as the Sugar Bears’ coach.

Rushing replaces Matt Daniel, who resigned Tuesday to become coach at Marshall University.

During her meeting with her players, Rushing said she wanted to ask them about their concerns and said she was able to quell any initial doubts.

“When there’s change, people have a lot of questions,” said Rushing, who was 254-58 in 10 seasons at Delta State (2002-2012) and is 403-255 overall in 23 seasons. “People are like, ‘What’s going to happen?’ I wanted to assure them that it was going to be OK.

“What I did get out of our conversation is that they care about this program, they take a lot of pride in this program and they’re very passionate about this program.”

Rushing was one of two candidates for the position along with UCA associate head coach Tony Kemper. Rushing interviewed with Teague - who was Delta State’s athletic director in 2002-2007 - on Wednesday and resigned from her Delta State post later Wednesday night. Teague contacted Rushing on Sunday after Daniel had told him that he was leaving to go to Marshall.

On Thursday, Teague called his latest coaching search “fast and furious.”

“It had to be because at this time of year, we couldn’t let this great group of ladies not have a coach for an extended period,” Teague said. “Fortunately, not only did we work fast, we got the best Division II coach in the country with 23 years of experience.

“We’re very pleased that Coach Rushing was willing and excited about being here.”

Teague said Rushing’s contract is three years for $95,000 per season plus incentives. She is the only female head coach at UCA.

Rushing, 47, won six Gulf South Conference championships and made eight NCAA Division II Tournament appearances at Delta State. The Lady Statesmen made six consecutive Division II Sweet 16 appearances (2006-2011) and went to the Final Four in 2008 and 2009 under Rushing.

UCA finished 24-7 and won the Southland Conference regular-season title last season. The Sugar Bears made their second consecutive postseason appearance, losing to Oklahoma State in the first round of the WNIT.

Rushing is entering a stable situation, with three starters returning from last year’s team, including two-time Southland Player of the Year Megan Herbert.

“It’s impressive. There’s a good corps coming back,” said Rushing, who was a finalist for Southland Conference jobs the past two seasons at Stephen F. Austin and Northwestern (La.) State. “I’m excited about this team and their attitudes and their commitment.”

Herbert, who will be a senior next season, said the change in coaches will be good for the program.

“We are a good group of girls,” the Sugar Bears forward said. “Having that experience, we’ve been through a lot. It helps her [Rushing] because we know this program inside and out. It helps us because she can come in and ask us and relate to us and be open.”

Rushing, a native of Biloxi, Miss., played four seasons at Alabama (1982-1986), was a four-time Academic All-SEC selection and is the Crimson Tide’s career free-throw percentage leader.

After graduating from Alabama, Rushing was a graduate assistant under Lloyd Clark at Delta State in 1986-1988. She made her head coaching debut at Division III Millsaps (Miss.) College in 1989-1990 and finished 13-9 before accepting the Texas-El Paso job in 1990, becoming the youngest Division I head coach at 26.

At UTEP, Rushing was 123-175 in 12 seasons (1990-2001) but never made the NCAA Tournament. She then went to Henderson State for one season (2001-2002) and was 13-13 before leaving for Delta State.

Going into her second Division I coaching stint, Rushing said she feels she is more experienced and looked back on her first major coaching experience at UTEP when she was around legendary men’s basketball coach Don Haskins.

“I think I’ve grown as a coach,” Rushing said. “I’ve learned a lot of basketball. ... When I left UTEP, I really grew when I was at Delta State because you have time to study the game and getting to know the players. It’s the same thing we’re going to do here. You never stop studying the game.”

Rushing at a glance AGE 47 POSITION Central Arkansas women’s basketball coach COACHING RECORD 403-255 overall in 23 seasons (254-58 in 10 seasons at Delta State in 2002-2012) HOMETOWN Biloxi, Miss.

COLLEGE Alabama NOTEWORTHY Gulf South Conference West Division Coach of the Decade in 2010. ... Six-time Gulf South Coach of the Year. ... Won six Gulf South championships. ... Went to the NCAA Division II Tournament eight times in 10 seasons at Delta State and made six consecutive Sweet 16 appearances (2006-2011) and two Final Four appearances (2008, 2009). ... Averaged 28 victories per season in past seven seasons at Delta State (198-30). ... Was 132-9 at home as Delta State coach, including a 64-game winning streak in 2007-2011. ... Was 2-6 against UCA during tenure at Delta State (2002-2006) when Sugar Bears were in Division II. ... All-time victories leader at Texas-El Paso (123-175 in 1990-2001).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:27 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

http://thecabin.net/sports/college/2012-06-02/mccollums-column-how-unsettled-front-turned-favorable-forecast#.T8paQFL0-EJ
Quote:
McCollum's Column: How an unsettled front turned into a favorable forecast
Posted: June 2, 2012 - 1:12pm
Advertisement
By Lynn Elber

A job interview morphed into a shopping spree.

When Matt Daniel resigned as University of Central Arkansas Sugar Bear basketball coach, one of the first calls placed from UCA Athletic Director Dr. Brad Teague was to Delta State coach Sandra Rushing. Teague, as athletic director at Delta State, was Rushing’s boss for five years and made careful mental notes.

In college athletics, where the coaching carousel can turn at whirlwind speech and dominoes can turn into an avalanche, every athletic administrator has to have in mind (or a list in a drawer) possibilities for the next coach in every sport.

It’s ironic that in an warp-speed effort to replace Daniel, an avid card player with a knack for comparing basketball to card games, Teague hit blackjack on the first moves...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:43 am 
UserName Retired

Just a reminder that it's not a good idea to post pay-articles in their entirety unless you break them up and editorialize them in some way.

Post subject: Video from 7-17 Meet and Greet
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:38 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

http://thecabin.net/sports/college/2012 ... AgbT6A8WG4

Video: Sandra Rushing Meet-and-Greet
Posted: July 18, 2012 - 3:41pm

July 18, 2012 - Sandra Rushing, the New University of Central Arkansas Sugar Bear coach, was introduced at an informal meet-and-greet Tuesday at Mike’s Place in downtown Conway. Rushing comes to UCA after an impressive tenure at Delta State.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:16 pm 
UserName Retired

http://www.ucasports.com/news/2012/7/19/WBB_0719122743.aspx

New SugarBears assistant coaches.....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:41 am 
Redshirt

I think this is an excellent hire for UCA, as is the hire of the co-head coaches by Northwestern State.

Can't wait for a full round robin schedule and men's/women's doubleheaders this year.

The SLC is going to be SUPER competitive -- UCA, McNeese (lost some good ones but have the Baggett twins back for their senior year), Nicholls (don't have to tell you about them), SFA, Sam....Northwestern ought to be better, SLU is always tough, don't know much about ORU in women's basketball, but I'm sure they'll be a tough competitor, too. Won't be long for a great season!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:21 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

Early scout:

The Sugar Bears lost our 2 primary ball handlers (Destinee Rogers, Guiden), plus our defensive stopper at guard (Guiden). One of our most versatile players is progressing really, really well coming off knee surgery. (Desiree Rogers), we return a great core of 5 Srs & a Jr who've contributed to our very successful last 3 years (a SLC title, 2 postseason appearances, 3 straight 21+ win seasons) I'd love to tell you about our newcomers coming in. Their credentials look good on paper, but you never know until they get going how it will go...

I know you guys have the twins coming back, and added the 3rd sister one as well. Obviously MSU has been the cream besides us in the SLC the last 2 years. I'm fully expecting Sam to contend for the top spot big time with the 2 stars (Martin & Thomas) & the returnees they have back, plus SFA has completely reloaded & has youth too under a great coach. SLU was comprised Srs & Fr last year, they were semi deep. Im curious to see how they play & have developed.

ORU has traditionally done very well in the Summitt. They have a new head coach, Misti Cussen, however she spent 17 yrs on the ORU bench, so I wouldnt expect things to fall off too much there. ORU does have an All-American guard returning for her Sr. year who will be 1 of the best players in the league.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:57 pm 
Redshirt

Yes, I had read something about the ORU guard. ORU has had to deal with South Dakota State in the Summit League, and so I am sure they will come in battle-tested.

Women's basketball is comparable to football in that one cannot take anyone for granted. And, yes, the Cowgirls and Sugar Bears sure have the targets on their backs. The Sugar Bears still have Megan Herbert, and that is plenty. The Cowgirls got a couple of transfers from JC's for rebounding mainly since we lost Kitty Wells and Martika Hull. I don't think anyone can replace Raiyawna Gatlin. Also coming in is a Houston-area freshman Jasmine Prophet, and I am looking forward to watching her develop.

Texas A&M Corpus-Christi also has a new coach, but he was a former head coach at SFA and most recently was at Marshall.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:56 am 
UserName Retired

Quote:
The Sugar Bears lost our 2 primary ball handlers (Destinee Rogers, Guiden), plus our defensive stopper at guard (Guiden).

Plus we lost our highest , I believe, three point percentage shooter in Westin Taylor (transferred to Ark. Tech).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:55 am 
Two-Time All-American

Westin was 7th on the team in 3-point percentage at 28.1 (8th if you count Sharlay Burris 37.5 percent, but it was just 3 for 8, so I wouldn't count it). Had the 4th most made (25) behind Rice (54), Destinee (37), and Herbert (26).

http://www.ucasports.com/custompages/WBStats/2011-12/teamcume.htm#TEAM.IND

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:51 am 
UserName Retired

Thanks for the correction. My bad.