It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2019-2020
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:17 pm 
UserName Retired

She's BACK!!!!! One of everyone's favorite SugarBear ball players...……...suit her up...…...well, guess Southland would not go for that...…….but at least she will be coaching for us...……….Playing for John Huchcraft at GP and then Sandra is pretty solid upbringing…....welcome bac to Keia…….Go SugarBears!!

https://ucasports.com/news/2019/6/13/womens-basketball-guiden-returns-to-sugar-bears-as-assistant-coach.aspx

CONWAY — In 2012, as an all-conference guard, Nakeia Guiden helped lead the Sugar Bears to their first-ever Southland Conference championship. In 2016 she won another, this time as a graduate assistant, as the Sugar Bears claimed their first-ever Southland Conference tournament championship and made the first of back-to-back trips to the NCAA Tournament.

Now, she's back for another one.

The Sugar Bear alum who played an instrumental role in the program's turnaround in its Division I infancy – going from 7 wins the year prior to her arrival in 2008 to 66 over her final three from 2009-12 – returns to her alma mater as an assistant coach, joining head coach Sandra Rushing's staff.

"I'm so excited to have Coach G rejoin our staff," Rushing said. "Her love and passion for UCA and the Sugar Bears program, along with her familiarity, will make for an easy transition. I have seen firsthand her knowledge and understanding of working with student-athletes and administrators. She is a highly-motivated person who is very passionate about the game, and she exhibits a tremendous caring spirit and will be a great role model for our players."

After spending the last three seasons as a head coach in the Arkansas high school ranks at Osceola and Wynne, Guiden – a Twin Groves native and Guy-Perkins High School product – comes back home to Faulkner County for her first full-time collegiate coaching position.

During her four years in a Sugar Bear uniform, Guiden scored over 1,000 points – one of just eight players to do so in the program's Division I history – and ranks in the program's D-I era Top 5 in steals (2nd); free throws (2nd); assists (4th); and blocks (5th), and is one of just 13 players in program history to make at least 100 starts.

"I am extremely excited to be back where it all started for me," Guiden said. "Especially with it being back close to my hometown. I'm closer to family and friends, and Coach Rushing is a familiar face to me. She doesn't know it, but she's been one of my mentors since I was her graduate assistant. I've learned a lot from her then and I know I will learn a lot more. I'm truly thankful for this opportunity to be back coaching with her. I am looking forward to teaching and coaching these young ladies to the best of their abilities while winning some championships. I've also loved the family atmosphere that the UCA community has had and I'm looking forward to that again."

As a four-time all-state performer at Guy-Perkins, Guiden studied under the tutelage of Hall of Fame coach John Hutchcraft and took her team to three state championship games. She then enjoyed success at the high school level as a coach, guiding Osceola to a 3-3A district tournament championship and the quarterfinals of the 3A state tournament.

Guiden fills an opening created when former associate head coach Greg Long, who had spent four seasons in Conway, accepted his first collegiate head coaching job at the University of Arkansas at Monticello last month.

"This staff is great and fun to be around already," she said. "It felt like we already knew each other before we even met. I'm excited to work with them, and I'm more excited about the players we have. They are young, energetic, athletic, have big personalities, and I love it! I believe our program has a bright future ahead with these young ladies. This program has a lot of potential and we are preparing every day to win another championship."

Post subject: Re: 2019-2020
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:12 pm 
UserName Retired

Southland Preseason

2019-20 Southland Women’s Basketball Preseason Poll

School (First-place votes) Total
1. Abilene Christian (14) 273
2. Stephen F. Austin (9) 255
3. Sam Houston State (1) 234
4. Texas A&M-Corpus Christi (1) 229
5. Lamar (1) 195
6. Central Arkansas 172
7. Nicholls 154
8. New Orleans 113
9. McNeese 111
10. Southeastern Louisiana 86
11. Northwestern State 78
12. Houston Baptist 73
13. UIW 55

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:11 pm 
UserName Retired

https://ucasports.com/news/2019/11/6/womens-basketball-rushing-anxious-optimistic-as-sugar-bears-set-to-open-season-at-tennessee.aspx

SugarBears and Lady Vols tomorrow from Knoxville…...might as well start with a big challenge....

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — If there is one thing Sandra Rushing has learned in her 30 seasons as a head coach, it's that there is no substitute for experience.

As she enters her 31st season overall and 8th on the Central Arkansas sideline, Rushing has a wealth of experience from which to draw – having seen it all at all levels of college basketball, from Final Fours to 5-win seasons.

Her team, however, is another matter.

And as the Sugar Bears prepare for their season opener at Tennessee on Thursday, that gives Rushing both a bit of anxiety and a dose of cautious optimism.

The 2019-20 campaign begins with the Sugar Bears featuring just five players returning from last season – including just one senior in guard Taylor Sells and one junior in forward Hannah Langhi. In addition to returning sophomores Alana Canady, Carley Hudspeth and Shay Johnson, the Sugar Bear roster is rounded out by seven newcomers to the program.

Young and inexperienced. But eager.

"I'm excited, but I'm anxious," said Rushing, who comes into the season with 544 career wins to her credit. "I'm excited because I like this team and their eagerness to learn and their enthusiasm. I'm anxious because nothing takes the place of experience – and that's not something we have a lot of. It's the unknown right now that has me worried, until we start to get that experience under our belts together. Physically, I think we're there – I've been really impressed with their work ethic and their commitment to the weight room. But it's the mental aspect of the game we have to figure out. That's the big challenge facing us as we get started. Obviously Tennessee is a tremendous challenge, and we have a lot of challenges ahead of us in the non-conference schedule – and that's the way we want it. Tennessee, Texas A&M, Tulane, Little Rock, on down the line. These are the games that are going to prepare us for conference, this is where we're going to go through some adversity and learn from it. We're not going to be the same team in March that we are right now. It's going to be fun watching this team grow and mature. We're going to go through some growing pains - you talk about Tennessee, one of the top couple programs in the country, for our first game. That's a big challenge for any team – especially one this young. But that's what I want. I want to put these young ladies on the big stage right away and see what it's like, because that's where we want to be again at the end of the season."

To get there, the plan is simple: work harder than everybody; play better defense than everybody; and be mentally tougher than everybody.

Easier said than done, however.

"This team, we're going to have to outwork people this year," Rushing said. "We had two preseason scrimmages and averaged 40 points. So there is some concern about where our scoring is going to come from. But we didn't have everybody for those games. When we have our full group out there, we have people who can score. We've just got to get them in the right situation to be successful. But what we have to do – one thing that is never an option – is to play defense. We are going to play defense, and we are going to play it hard and consistent. You're going to have bad shooting nights – but you can still go out and give effort on defense and put your team in a position to win. It comes down to mental toughness. You go through the adversity of a season, and you get to March, you have to be strong and hope you're a little bit more mentally tough than the other team and keep grinding through it. And that's the biggest thing for us – physically, I think we're fine. What we're trying to do right now is condition the mentality on the floor. They've got to understand the speed of the game, what's expected in this program, time management, and so many other things. Their heads are spinning a little bit. But I'm excited to get them in a different environment on the road, and see how we handle travel, preparing for a game, and going to play the Lady Vols on national TV. We're going to learn a lot about this team early. I've seen already that they want to please and do everything right – even if they always don't. But they want to. When things don't go right, they've got to understand that one game is not going to define us. It's not about Thursday or next week. It's where are we going to be in February, March? This team has more in it than they think they do – and it's my job to pull that out of them. They're fun to coach because of the energy and competitiveness they have in practice. I see what's coming down the line - we just have to get there and make sure they see it too. I don't want this team to lose any ground if we hit a little adversity and drop a couple games early."

With Sells (7.0 points per game), Langhi (6.8) and Canady (6.6) the leading returning scorers, and Langhi (4.5) and Sells (4.3) the only players back to average at least 3 rebounds per game, Rushing will be spending much of the early part of the season figuring out where the Sugar Bears will be getting the bulk of their production. While several players have shown flashes, the Sugar Bears are not quite where she would like for them to be as opening tip approaches.

"The biggest obstacle we've had in the preseason is not having everyone on the floor," she said. "You can't gain chemistry if you don't have the whole team out there. We've had injuries, some personal and family things where people have had to miss, and there's just no way to build the chemistry you need if everybody's not on the floor. That's been frustrating for me, because this is the time we'd ideally be building that and teaching everybody. Different players learn differently, and not having them all out there – that's been a big challenge for me. But we have a bunch of players who are really pulling for each other and are going to make a good team. And we compete against each other in practice more than what we have the last couple years. That's been encouraging. But we need a vocal leader on the floor. We're searching for that. But we will be fine if everybody learns to share the ball and not try to be a superstar."

Sells, who has played in 85 games with 59 starts over three seasons despite missing the last 10 games of last season due to injury, will be counted upon to lead the charge in her final year in the purple and gray.

"I'm so happy to see Taylor back on the floor for us," Rushing said. "She has three years of experience in our program and she's the quickest guard on the team. She's not as vocal as I'd like for her to be, but she understands what I want. We need her to have a great senior season for us. And then we have Hannah who has been in the program for two years. She's stepped up in her role, and increased her range and is shooting the 3. We'll need her to keep coming on this year."

After starting a combined 19 games a year ago as freshmen, the trio of Canady, Hudspeth and Johnson will be expected to play increased roles in their sophomore campaign.

"AC is a tremendous athlete, we just need her to be more aggressive and vocal. She can score, but we're still working on her defense. Shay has some experience at the point from last year, but she's still young and has a lot to learn. But she's willing to learn. You want your point guard to see the same thing you see out on the floor - that's where things start flowing. We're trying to get her there. And Carley, she's one of the hardest workers on the team. She's a really good teammate - she'll do anything to help this team win. I've asked her to play post, guard and point guard. And it's always 'Coach, whatever you need me to do - I'll do.' She just wants to be on the floor, and will do whatever we need her to do. You can't have enough players like that."

Rushing also expects heavy contributions from the crop of newcomers, which features a quartet of junior college freshmen and three freshmen, though only two will be available this season as Jalisa Outlaw will miss the season following offseason surgery.

"I really like the new players we've brought in," Rushing said. "We've got a pair of twins in Yanni and Bri Trigg – I wanted them because of their energy. Energy breeds energy, and they have brought that to our team. Energy, a commitment to the weight room – they are very physical young women, and that's brought a different dynamic to our team. Savanna Walker, she plays with a lot of passion and plays bigger than she looks. Romola Dominguez, I'm excited she'll be with me for three years. She comes in with a lot of energy and leadership. She's going to be a great leader for us, especially once she learns the system. The twins and Ro, they've been to the national tournament in junior college and played at the highest level you can play at. They know how to win and know what's expected to compete at a championship level. These kids came here because they want to win a championship – they're used to winning, and you want kids who know the commitment it takes to win a championship because that's what we plan on doing here again."

Outlaw will miss the season and freshman guard Brionna Budgetts has been out during the preseason, but one freshman who has made an impact already is forward Terri Crawford from Birmingham, Ala.

"Terri is very strong and physical, and I'm excited to watch her career here at UCA," Rushing said. "She's going to be a big factor for us on the block. However, she's still a freshman and she's coming in and her head is spinning a little bit. Sometimes it takes a little bit for freshmen to figure things out because everything's so fast - but when she does figure it all out, I really like her potential."

And getting the entire roster to reach their full potential is what has Rushing most excited each day as the season approaches.

"I love teaching the game, I really do," she said. "I really enjoy getting up every morning and coming to work and going to practice and teaching these kids. They want to get it right. They mess up and say 'Coach, one more time'. It puts a smile on my face. When you have the opportunity every day to go in and do a job you love and be around kids you love to be around, that's enjoyable. Yes, there are challenging days - but that's going to be the case no matter what you do. But I enjoy being around this team and I'm ready to see what we can accomplish this season."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:22 pm 
UserName Retired

@Tennessee

Lady Vols led 20-18 after Q1and after a hard Q2 stretched the lead to 33-25. SugarBears could not keep up in Q3 and fell behind 51-32...then could not score in Q4 and lost 63-36.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:04 pm 
UserName Retired

Home vs Hendrix

No match here.....

HC 6-12-6-4= 28
UCA 27-34-24-19= 104

Terri Crawford ripped the net....24/5R/3S and 10/11 FGs.....Hannah Langhi tossed in 17 with 9 rebs as did Shay Johnson...Sells added 15 and Ayanna Trigg 13....most impressive was 18/23 FTs......

Now back to real games….@UALR on Sat at 2pm....Go SugarBears!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:04 am 
UserName Retired

@UALR

UCA 11-20-4-13=48
UALR 21-9-16-13=63

Led at half 31-30...then forgot how to get baskets in Q3......UALR had 4 in double figures and SBs only one....shot only 33% FGs vs 46%...only 3/12 3s...out rebounded by 5.....Langhi led SBs with 11/5....

Next game is Friday at noon in NOLA vs Tulane

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:57 pm 
UserName Retired

So far only 1-4 with the one being a lopsided win versus overmatched Hendrix...SBs need to find a way to score more......defense has been OK with giving up 63, 63, 65 and 72 (that is too much especially for Northern Kentucky when you hold UTK to 63...).

Other than Hendrix SBs have scored only 36, 48, 38 and 56.....they are back home Sat night vs Jackson State and need to get a win....then off to Texas A&M on Wed.....

Avg 17 TOs per game really puts pressure on the defense...shooting only 18% from # and 55% for FTs has got to get better......only Terri Crawford is avg double figures at 10.2 (54% FGs) but hitting only 43% FTs....also avg 5 rebs per game……..Hannah Langhi avg 8.4/6.0 so far....

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:20 pm 
UserName Retired

Jackson State @ UCA

JSU 10-6-21-17=54
UCA 11-14-16-16=57

Any win is a good win when struggling for wins.....let down in Q3 disappointing coming out of half and not building on a lead.....at least able to come back and hold off at the end....both teams had 19 FGs the difference being UCA was +5 on 3s even though only shooting 3%.... SBs shot only 52% from FT line and hit only 13/25....A-Twigg and Dominquez each had 13 and Sells had 11/8 game....B-Twigg was 7/8....not a great stats night....<4> rebs…<3> steals...<4> blocks....but was +4 on TOs yet still had 20..ugh....enjoy the win...Texas A&M next at College Station.....Go SugarBears!!

https://ucasports.com/news/2019/11/30/womens-basketball-sugar-bears-hold-off-jackson-state-for-57-54-win.aspx

CONWAY — Central Arkansas knocked down seven free throws in the final minute and drew a key charging foul in the waning moments to fend off Jackson State 57-54 in the Farris Center on Saturday.

The Sugar Bears (2-4) led by two after Romola Dominguez made the second of two free throws to make it 56-54 with 23 seconds left. On the ensuing possession, Jackson State's Keshuna Luckett drove to the basket – right into a waiting Briana Trigg for a charging call with 17 seconds to play. The Tigers (1-5) sent Dominguez back to the line four seconds later, where she again converted 1 of 2 to push the lead to three for the final score, as Central Arkansas freshman Terri Crawford would come away with a steal at the end, keeping the Tigers from attempting a final shot.

In their best perimeter shooting game of the season, the Sugar Bears knocked down six shots from 3-point range, finishing 6-of-19 (31.6 percent) – their first game of the season to make more than three from long range. After being outscored 39-12 from beyond the arc in their last two games, the Sugar Bears had 18 points from the perimeter to just 3 for Jackson State on Saturday, as the Tigers were just 1-for-8.

The Sugar Bears got off to a strong start defensively, leading 11-10 after the first quarter in which they got all 11 points off of 10 Jackson State turnovers. In the second quarter, they would hold JSU to just 21.4 percent shooting (3 of 14) en route to building a 25-16 halftime lead.

Jackson State would answer in the 3rd, however, starting the second half with a 9-0 run in the first two minutes to draw back even at 25, and eventually take a 31-30 lead midway through the period on a pair of Cherelle Jones free throws. The lead would hold for just 25 seconds, and the Sugar Bears reclaimed the lead for good with 2:53 left in the period on a Taylor Sells layup. When Jackson State had cut its deficit to one late in the quarter, Savanna Walker banked in a 3-pointer from the top of the key to extend the cushion to four points headed into the 4th.

Though JSU would outscore the Sugar Bears 17-16 in the final period, it was not enough to overcome eight turnovers and 50 percent (5 of 10) free throw shooting in the quarter. For the game, JSU committed 24 turnovers, which led to 23 Sugar Bear points.

In the win, Walker and Dominguez tied for the team lead with 13 points apiece – season highs for both. Sells added 11 points and 8 rebounds while drawing 9 fouls, and Trigg – in her first action since Hendrix on Nov. 12 – added 7 points and 8 rebounds. Walker led the Sugar Bears with 3 assists, and Ayanna Trigg had a team-high 3 steals. Dominguez was 3-of-7 from 3-point range, while Walker added a pair, going 2-for-5.

The Sugar Bears return to action on Wednesday when they meet up with 6th-ranked Texas A&M in College Station, before returning to the Farris Center next Saturday to host Crowley's Ridge College at 7:00pm.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:49 am 
UserName Retired

@Texas A&M

UCA 12-9-16-9=46
TAM 26-21-8-21=76

About what I expected...…...shot only 33% FGs and 20% 3s......worst yet shot only 4 FTs...….4 …..lost all stats categories except minutes played...….at least we only had 13 TOs......pretty good against a very good team like Gary Blair's TAM....

Savannah Walker had a terrific night with 13/10 double/double and 2 blocks....Taylor Sells was 10/8

Now 2-5 and next game is Sat at home vs Crowley's Ridge....7pm tip.....

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:28 pm 
UserName Retired

Crowley's Ridge

https://ucasports.com/boxscore.aspx?path=wbball&id=4015

SBs win 82-26.....nothing learned here.....

Next game is 12/15 vs Central Baptist at Farris Center with tip at 3pm.....Go SugarBears!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:37 pm 
UserName Retired

UCA@UIW

UCA 8-17=25-11=36-11=47 (1-0)
UIW 12-4=16-12=28-9= 37

Continue the 7-0 unbeaten win streak vs UIW.....Taylor Sells and Langhi lead with 12....Crawford 6/7...good first win on the road.....now to Corpus for a big early season game..GoSugarBears!!

UCA/UIW
FGs: 30% v 26%
3s: 14% v 0%...held UIW to 0/11
FTs: 14/18/77% v 19/25/76%...Cards had more at FT line that from FGs...
Rebs: 42 v 25...17 o-rebs
TOs: 12 v 3

Q3: Still hanging in with a modest lead...now to finish this off strong....Langhi has 8....

H1: Lead at half 25-17..held UIW to no FGs in Q2....SBs shot only 28% but have +14 rebs including 11 o-rebs……and only 6 TOs....Hannah Langhi has 6 points and Terri Crawford leads with 7 rebs...….

Game under way......Go SugarBears!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:25 pm 
UserName Retired

UCA@TAMCC

UCA 9-6-16-16=47 (1-1)
TAMCC 17-20-12-18=67 (2-0)

Defense not up to the task today.....

UCA/TAMCC

FGs: 37% v 42%..each made 19...UCA +7 shots taken
3s: 0% v 17%..poor shooting by both teams
FTs: 64% v 74%...TAMCC 28/38..some home court advantage...+19 made
Rebs: 35 v 33
TOs: 16 v 7......ugh...….TAMCC +18 POTs

Taylor Sells nice game at 13/8 and 60% FGs....only 2 TOs.... Go SugarBears!!

Next is home on 1/2 vs HBU.....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:13 am 
UserName Retired

Sugarbears lay the wood to HBU today. Win decisively. Something like 60+ to about 30something.

Game wasn't close and all but one player scored. HBU has potential but they missed waaay too many shots.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:56 am 
UserName Retired

Nice to see them get back to what they do well!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:49 pm 
UserName Retired

HBU@UCA

HBU 4-11-9-15=39 (0-3)
UCA 16-13-18-16=63 (2-1)

HBU/UCA

FGs: 31% v 49%
3s: 0% v 14%...combined 1/17
FTs: 33% v 50%
Rebs: 29 v 44.....
TOs: 14 v 19

Good scoring balance.....Canady had 12/5, Langhi 10/9 and Trigg, Walker and Crawford each had 8....

Next at McNeese on Saturday......Go SugarBears!!