It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 12:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:20 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Quote:
I say let the schools decide.

Wow, I am getting concerned as I find myself agreeing with McNeese people more and more....maybe since they whipped us in football so bad I have respect for them......whoever would think to let the schools work it out....I suspect those with longest trips would find ways to accomodate each other. SLC might let schools play either Wed or Thur with the home team making the final all.

Hard to say what Bro Tubbs' reasoning is and those who voted with Lamar on this ......I have to agree we will not win the battle for the casual fan on Wed nights....

If I lived near Conway, I think I would prefer the women's and men's having the schedule as they do now .....playing both on one night at home is not good for attendance as a double header is very hard for school kids much less us old folks....while it is a challenge for those of us living far from Cownay to listen to two games in one night (sometimes simultaneously), if I lived near I could go to home games each week and alternate seeing men and women...that would be nice....

GoBears!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:49 am 
All-American

The thing about it is, however, there are MANY valid points on this issue.

There is only one point that I would be dead set against and that would be double headers. I understand and respect why we use to do it along with the reasoning given to me by the folks at McNeese State. IMHO, DH's hurt your overall attendance.

Also, I think if you are going to establish yourself as a solid mid-major type of program, DH's have to be done away with. I have no solid proof to back up that statement, but, for the most part, you do not hear about schools scheduling DH's on a regular basis. There have been one or two times this season that I have noticed where UALR and Arkansas State had scheduled DH's. Don't know how many times this happened, but just reacall it. I use them only as an example. I wonder how many schools on our level do this on a regular basis.

Monty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:51 am 
Two-Time All-American

MontyR wrote:

There is only one point that I would be dead set against and that would be double headers. I understand and respect why we use to do it along with the reasoning given to me by the folks at McNeese State. IMHO, DH's hurt your overall attendance.

Also, I think if you are going to establish yourself as a solid mid-major type of program, DH's have to be done away with. I have no solid proof to back up that statement, but, for the most part, you do not hear about schools scheduling DH's on a regular basis. There have been one or two times this season that I have noticed where UALR and Arkansas State had scheduled DH's. Don't know how many times this happened, but just reacall it. I use them only as an example. I wonder how many schools on our level do this on a regular basis.

Monty

I believe all of the historically black colleges follow this format.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:49 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

OK State men and women had a DH the day the Sugar Bears played OK State this season. We were supposed to be the 2nd game of the double header that afternoon/night (Cowboys played UTA) but due to weather, we got moved up. But I cant think of many true basketball powers that schedule DHs. UAPB was the only one we have been a part of other than Ok State this season. And I do not think our guys faced any DH situations at all this season.

Like Monty mentioned, for McNeese, and even possibly TAM Corpus Christi, it might be financially better for them to schedule DHs since we know McNeese rents out Burton, and I'm only assuming TAMCC rents out the city arena they play their games in. But for the rest of us, al lyou're doing is making it tough for a full fan base to sit in a gym for that long if you plan on staying and supporting a full 40 minutes for both teams.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:49 pm 
Two-Time All-American

MontyR wrote:

Monty

As I have access to UALR season tickets I can tell you that the Sun Belt DOES play DH during the regular conference season, most of the time.