It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Recruit Fallout
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:45 am 
All-Conference

huggy_bear wrote:
I thought Pennell was a good hire, and he had a good recruiting assistant. I didn't realize that Pennell didn't believe in playing defense.

The facilities are the worst in division 1. The Farris Center is a dinosaur and an eye-sore. Build a 2k - 3k seat arena and give the basketball program a fighting chance.

I agree, we need something better than the Farris Center. Turn it into a full time practice faculty or something. PLEASE UCA ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT. TELL US THAT YOU HAVE SOMETHING IN THE WORKS.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:54 am 
UserName Retired

Money is the issue....seems to me coaching stability is more important than a new arena.......however, if anyone is willing to write a big check, you could do both.....I can think of a university with an exceptional set of basketball facilities and they struggle to compete...their new coach seems to be getting that changed......not due to facilities but to better coaching .....we were close a couple years ago to the men getting to a consistently competitive level......we have had good players when they played as a team and played defense....the California trip/s a couple years ago may have been for the payday but it may have been the best basketball ever played by MBB at UCA (I saw many of the best of the AIC era teams but admittedly missed the Pippen and early D2 years) ....took UCLA at Pauley to OT, played very well at Eugene vs a very good Oregon team, play well vs a good San Francisco team and beat UC-Berkley, a PAC -12 team.....this is not out of reach but we have to have coaching stability....

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:50 am 
All-Conference

JRK wrote:
Money is the issue....seems to me coaching stability is more important than a new arena.......however, if anyone is willing to write a big check, you could do both.....I can think of a university with an exceptional set of basketball facilities and they struggle to compete...their new coach seems to be getting that changed......not due to facilities but to better coaching .....we were close a couple years ago to the men getting to a consistently competitive level......we have had good players when they played as a team and played defense....the California trip/s a couple years ago may have been for the payday but it may have been the best basketball ever played by MBB at UCA (I saw many of the best of the AIC era teams but admittedly missed the Pippen and early D2 years) ....took UCLA at Pauley to OT, played very well at Eugene vs a very good Oregon team, play well vs a good San Francisco team and beat UC-Berkley, a PAC -12 team.....this is not out of reach but we have to have coaching stability....

JRK....everything you state is true, however, until the athletic administration decides to make a commitment to mens basketball, it ain't happening. One program has to take the fall and its mens basketball.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:10 am 
Practice Squad

Just heard while at friends home watching the football game tonight... Russ Pennell has accepted a position at Link Year Prep, up in Branson, Missouri. Money you can kiss that pipeline goodbye. How could Pennell, recommend any talent going back to Conway with his former Bad News Bears Staff in place. Plus, how he was run out and your top player bails to be reserve role player elsewhere tells you everything....

What has the recruiting truely been for a program that for the last six years is not even .300 program.

In the last six years our Bears 59-129 that is .292% .... Tells you recruiting has and will continue to be .... poor! I get money game posts so you lose 7 games a year for Teague Bank Account __ but come on talent is weak and will stop there.

It's going to be The Nightmare at Farris Center in 2021....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:50 am 
All-Conference

Toadsuckhoops wrote:
Just heard while at friends home watching the football game tonight... Russ Pennell has accepted a position at Link Year Prep, up in Branson, Missouri. Money you can kiss that pipeline goodbye. How could Pennell, recommend any talent going back to Conway with his former Bad News Bears Staff in place. Plus, how he was run out and your top player bails to be reserve role player elsewhere tells you everything....

What has the recruiting truely been for a program that for the last six years is not even .300 program.

In the last six years our Bears 59-129 that is .292% .... Tells you recruiting has and will continue to be .... poor! I get money game posts so you lose 7 games a year for Teague Bank Account __ but come on talent is weak and will stop there.

I like Anthony Boone alot, but I am not sure he is the answer.....

Your last statement about the The Nightmare at Farris Center in 2021.....This will continue for MANY more years to come. Hate to admit it, but it is true.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:38 am 
All-Conference

For those are saying we need to do this or that (including myself) I am always asking the question, Why would they come to UCA? I look at what our program has to offer and it's pretty sad. Let's give coach Boone 2-3 years to build something with some recruits. I really think he is going to have to look at JUCO possibly, but maybe a high school player or two. I think in the future UCA is going to have to get a proven D2 college head coach or a Hot Shot assistant at a higher level. Even though you look at Ark State (assistant from Lousville) and what they have tried to do. They still struggle. Sorry I know this is all over the place, but I think if UCA could at least get to a .500 mark for several consistent years, that would be a start. GO BEARS!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:35 am 
Redshirt

Mulerider wrote:
For those are saying we need to do this or that (including myself) I am always asking the question, Why would they come to UCA? I look at what our program has to offer and it's pretty sad. Let's give coach Boone 2-3 years to build something with some recruits. I really think he is going to have to look at JUCO possibly, but maybe a high school player or two. I think in the future UCA is going to have to get a proven D2 college head coach or a Hot Shot assistant at a higher level. Even though you look at Ark State (assistant from Lousville) and what they have tried to do. They still struggle. Sorry I know this is all over the place, but I think if UCA could at least get to a .500 mark for several consistent years, that would be a start. GO BEARS!

I think you may have hit the nail on the head MuleRider

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:05 pm 
Redshirt

Toadsuckhoops wrote:

saw on twitter: looks like it's factual

Link Year Prep
@linkhoops
·
Aug 20
HUGE ANNOUNCEMENT

Coach Pennell will be joining our staff this year doing skill development!

@coachpennell
has over 30 years of experience at the D1 and Pro level. Which includes Coaching the Arizona Wildcats to the Sweet 16!

A HUGE addition to our team this year!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:43 am 
All-Conference

Link Year Prep
@linkhoops
·
Aug 20
HUGE ANNOUNCEMENT

@coachpennell
has over 30 years of experience at the D1 and Pro level. Which includes Coaching the Arizona Wildcats to the Sweet 16!

A HUGE addition to our team this year![/quote]

Apparently he is not good enough to be a head coach at that level. Skill Development? Come on now. I like Coach Pennell, but why take a drop like this? Does he have family in the area? Also for those who said the pipeline is drying up, have we received more than 1 or 2 players from this place total?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:43 am 
All-Conference

Link Year Prep
@linkhoops
·
Aug 20
HUGE ANNOUNCEMENT

@coachpennell

A HUGE addition to our team this year![/quote]

Apparently he is not good enough to be a head coach at that level. Skill Development? Come on now. I like Coach Pennell, but why take a drop like this? Does he have family in the area? Also for those who said the pipeline is drying up, have we received more than 1 or 2 players from this place total?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:59 am 
All-Conference

FaulknerFrank wrote:
Mulerider wrote:

I think you may have hit the nail on the head MuleRider

I agree with both of you....however, I still think we can do better than .500. Again, until the athletic administration makes a commitment to a better program, it ain't happening.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:18 pm 
Practice Squad

Team Captain crawl out from under the rock..

Link Year Alums:
Hayden Koval, Current UCA players Deandre Jones, Rylin Bergsten and add who departed before graduation Matthew Mondseri and those were Pennell kids no else's.

Heard gets paid there plus remember the UCA board approved he is being paid this season like $80K....

He will have a major job next year on big program ___ plus there is some family Branson connection I'm told. Makes sense and is in the game. UCA the door is shut and closed for good.

I agree never in hell will they be .500 unless Boone cleans house with the staff and they have to invest in JUCO players.

Speaking of recruiting the offer to the 7' in Kansas, will never step on UCA campus and saw California kid two years out... Hold s two offers take your choice UCA vs. Pepperdine? Come on can they not recruit in there local geography. We are not a Power 5 or even mid-major... We are the 2nd worst rated conference in talent rating out of 35 conferences. Only one lower SWAC or MEAC....

Update checked this Link Year Prep program __ Loaded this year and how ironic is Southland schools SFA, New Orleans, SHSU are making offers.... What has happened to this pipeline __ Simple all the past Link Year kids were aligned to Coach P. not the staff that has the keys.

Seen two (2) magazines and Purple Bears are factored at 10th and 11th.. Remember they are worst defensive team in Southland.... No Koval this will be a guess a DUMPSTER FIRE of major proportions.

Team Captain is the sun out!