It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 9:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Scottie Pippen
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:12 pm 
Team Captain

I have not been around UCA for a long period of time, but when I did get here I was surprised to see no Scottie Pippen stuff anywhere in the Farris or elsewhere for that matter. Not even a picture in the lobby or halls. No banner hanging. He won a gold medal and is a top 50 NBA player. Why no recognition. Are we waiting for him to die? ( I hope not)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:17 pm 
Redshirt

We used to play a commercial that had him and President Hardin talking about UCA. Come to think of it; it has been awhie since I've seen that commercial. Does anyone know if we even air that anymore? I dont know why we dont have anything commemorating Scottie Pippen. You pose a good question bizzar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:19 pm 
Team Captain

BearFan4Life wrote:
We used to play a commercial that had him and President Hardin talking about UCA. Come to think of it; it has been awhie since I've seen that commercial. Does anyone know if we even air that anymore? I dont know why we dont have anything commemorating Scottie Pippen. You pose a good question bizzar.

At least retire the jersey and hang it up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:54 pm 
UserName Retired

That commercial as well as some others can be seen here:
http://www.uca.edu/uca/studentstories.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:04 pm 
UserName Retired

bizzarobear wrote:
At least retire the jersey and hang it up.

I'd agree with that.

Now that I think about it, I don't remember ever seeing any jerseys hanging. I guess we haven't retired anyone's jersey in our 100 year history?

Has Scottie - other than the aforementioned commercial - ever given back to the university financially? (I think I remember him giving the basketball team shoes - you know the Nike shoe named after him??) Maybe that could be a reason? Some of you that have been around longer than I have might know more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:05 pm 
UserName Retired

bizarrobear wrote:
elsewhere for that matter.

Go to Buffalo Hall. He was chosen Distinguished Alumnus by the Alumni Assc. for the year 1996. Got a bronze plaque on the wall along with only about 20 other alumni.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:07 pm 
UserName Retired

Honey Bear wrote:
Go to Buffalo Hall. He was chosen Distinguished Alumnus by the Alumni Assc. for the year 1996. Got a bronze plaque on the wall along with only about 20 other alumni.

He's also in the UCA Hall of Fame. I think that gets you a plaque in the Hall of Fame Room on the Wall of Honor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:52 pm 
Practice Squad

The UCA brass want a big donation from him before they reitre the jersey. They'd be smarter to retire the jersey first then he might be in a more giving mood.

ABOLUTELY NO EXCUSE that his jersey has not been hanging from the rafters for at least a decade now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:05 pm 
UserName Retired

I attended UCA in the early 90s and I can tell you from my personal experience of meeting him personally(off season) and socializing with his friends who live here in Conway that he is not too social of a person. Some say he is a "jerk". I guess you get that way when everybody wants you to get Michaels auto for them. :shock: :lol: Setting that aside, I must say that his status in his long ball career merits recognition by the university. I do believe there is a trophy case in the Farris Center that has his jersey and other mem. of his in it. Along with Hortons and Harris' I believe. It has been a while since I looked at the stuff so it probably has changed. But I know his stuff is there. Maybe a little more outward display in the lobby of the farris center for our past ballers is due. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:02 pm 
Two-Time All-American

I thought that he donated the $ for the new gym floor. Is it not called the Pippen Court? I also heard rumors that they were going to name a dormitory after him. Bear 2006 is correct about some memorabilia in one of the trophy cases with Pippen in it(front door to the left toward the gym floor). There is one certificate that lists & pictures the NAIA All-Americans and it also has SE Oklahoma's Dennis Rodman on it.

Pippen has also lent his name to the Coaches Basketball camp and shows up for the last day and given photo ops for the campers.

Pippen and Monte Coleman should definitely have their #'s retired.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:34 pm 
Team Captain

I know about the UCA Hall of Fame and his plaques, but nobody really goes to those places to see it. I feel we need something more out in the open. Whether or not he gives money, his jersey should be retired and a banner about the gold medal and top 50 NBA player should hang in the Farris. And yes, Monte Coleman should be honored too. No doubt about it. People should not have to get money to be honored for outstanding achievement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:42 pm 
Two-Time All-American

bizzarobear wrote:
I know about the UCA Hall of Fame and his plaques, but nobody really goes to those places to see it. I feel we need something more out in the open. Whether or not he gives money, his jersey should be retired and a banner about the gold medal and top 50 NBA player should hang in the Farris. And yes, Monte Coleman should be honored too. No doubt about it. People should not have to get money to be honored for outstanding achievement.

Money should definitely not play a factor on whether you honor somebody. But if we want to really honor them why would we hang their Jersey's or Banners in the Farris Center :?: Shouldn't we put them in places where they might be seen by a lot of people :?: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:47 pm 
Team Captain

Quote:
Money should definitely not play a factor on whether you honor somebody. But if we want to really honor them why would we hang their Jersey's or Banners in the Farris Center :?: Shouldn't we put them in places where they might be seen by a lot of people :?: :wink:
[/quote]

LOL! But hey, a nice crowd tonight for UTSA.

Post subject: pippen
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:56 am 
Redshirt

for those who don't know...pippen bankrolled the teams equipment during the 1990's...among other things...div 2 schools dont get nike contracts. there was a trophy case with a lot of his stuff..but was stolen over the years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:43 pm 
All-American

Yogi wrote:
The UCA brass want a big donation from him before they reitre the jersey. They'd be smarter to retire the jersey first then he might be in a more giving mood.

ABOLUTELY NO EXCUSE that his jersey has not been hanging from the rafters for at least a decade now.

To my knowledge, there are only two jerseys in school history that were retired. Notice I said jersey and not number.

The #22 jersey worn by Tommy Taylor in the late 40's early 50's use to hang in a trophy case in the old gym (Prince Center). The #44 jersey worn by Wally Love was retired, I believe in the early 90's. I don't believe it was ever put on display since he got in trouble.

#33 has only been worn a handful of times since Scottie left UCA. I honestly can only think of two or three times, but it may have been more.

I agree...I would love to see the number 33 completely retired and never worn again.

Monty