It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The time is now for a new basketball arena
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:42 am 
All-Conference

The time is now for a new basketball arena. If UCA wants to stay competitive in Basketball, they need to look at raising money for new facilities and arena. Our current arena is old and awkward. At this point it is best used for volleyball and graduations/other events. I heard rumors that Scotty Pippen was donating money before he thought he was going to go through a divorce.

I would maybe say build something along the lines of a 7000-8000 capacity and make it designed for basketball (circled seating). Yes, many would argue that we wouldn't be able to fill this. Then let's make it 5,000 and focus on atmosphere! Make these games sell out! Also turn the old court into a multipurpose facility for all events not basketball related and have throwback nights were you have one or two games in there. Also, this would be awesome for tournaments or basketball camps. Even a tournament like the TBT that is hosted during the summer months.

Why can't the university start up a giving campaign?

Post subject: Re: The time is now for a new basketball arena
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:54 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Mulerider wrote:
The time is now for a new basketball arena. If UCA wants to stay competitive in Basketball, they need to look at raising money for new facilities and arena. Our current arena is old and awkward. At this point it is best used for volleyball and graduations/other events. I heard rumors that Scotty Pippen was donating money before he thought he was going to go through a divorce.

I would maybe say build something along the lines of a 7000-8000 capacity and make it designed for basketball (circled seating). Yes, many would argue that we wouldn't be able to fill this. Then let's make it 5,000 and focus on atmosphere! Make these games sell out! Also turn the old court into a multipurpose facility for all events not basketball related and have throwback nights were you have one or two games in there. Also, this would be awesome for tournaments or basketball camps. Even a tournament like the TBT that is hosted during the summer months.

Why can't the university start up a giving campaign?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:56 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Step on up there.

Wouldn’t hold my breath on Scottie.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:57 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Need something in the 3500-5000 range.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:25 pm 
All-Conference

Farris Center is a 6000 seat facility. Why would you build something else in the same range? I agree that the FC is in bad need of a makeover, I think that might be better.

The best way to fill up any arena is to win consistently.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:55 pm 
Two-Time All-American

STEPHENS CENTER IS about 5500.

Only come close to selling out vs ASU and they are in LR and sell beers.

Gonzaga’s arena is 6000 and we will never have the success in MBB they have%

3000 would be plenty and hope we get good enough to fill is 75% or so on a regular basis.

Better atmosphere, at lower cost, than half full arena.

The odds of us averaging more than 3500 at BB for any year in next 20 is virtually nil.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:25 pm 
Redshirt

Does the campus even have the grounds to build something like that? Not much room from what I have seen lately around the gym now.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:28 am 
All-Conference

FaulknerFrank wrote:
Does the campus even have the grounds to build something like that? Not much room from what I have seen lately around the gym now.

I think at this point we would have to pull a Indiana and renovate our quaint facility that we use for Basketball. Here is what I am seeing needs upgrading:

1. Color Scheme, even if it's a new coat of paint around the whole place. We need make the gray and purple more vibrant. This can be done with a lot of creative graphics and paint schemes, even keeping the same school colors.

2. Seating, fix all broken seats as well as install or paint seats for update.

3. Ceiling, this probably is #1. This is one of the ugliest things about the arena on the inside.

4. Eliminate the reserved seating when you only have 200 people attending games. You hear me UCA Board? I know you are reading this.

5. Something needs to be done about brightening up the inside of the arena. It's getting better, but still dark.

6. Bathrooms need updating. Mainly just fixtures and paint. Size of bathrooms are fine.

7. Need more food options, Aramark please look into this.

8. Encourage tailgating if we pull in any big games, such as UALR. Open this up for free until it grows in popularity.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:37 pm 
All-Conference

Hello everyone...it has been a while since I have posted so bare with me for a moment. This has been VERY difficult for me to write.

I have spent alot of time thinking about the Farris Center over the years and yes, like many of you, I agree a new facility for basketball is needed. The Farris Center, in my opinion, is beyond updating. It needs to be replaced. Don't even bring up Scottie Pippen. That donation is not happening.

Money is tight in higher education and at UCA, that is no exception. With the cuts the school is facing this year, we will not see any substancial improvements made to the building for a while. It would be nice if general maintenance would be addressed, but from what I am told, the money is just not there. Location was mentioned in an earlier post. I suppose the school could look at the area on the southwest corner of the campus at Dave Ward Drive and Farris Road. Nice location. They looked at that as the location for a hotel at one time.

Meanwhile, it is my believeth that UCA is using mens basketball for nothing more than to fund the minor sports in the athletic department. I believe that the department is not interested in having a successful mens basketball program. Yes, there has been success in the academics of the program, which is most important for the school and those student athletes who are participating. According to the budget, the department had $1.2 million dollars in game guarantees during the 2019-2020 fiscal year. The 2020-2021 budget is calling for $1,179,500, which is a reduction of about $20,000. Yes, I know, there is, most likely, game guarantees in there for football and I suspect the remainder is coming from mens basketball and maybe a few from womens basketball. In checking the conference schedules from last season from around the Southland Conference, it appears that most schools are scheduling two to three money games per year. I can't confirm this, but it looks like last year that the Bears played seven money games. It appears that we are sending our guys out there to get killed by major Division I programs while the department is laughing all the way to the bank.

Correct me if I am wrong, but most of our athletic teams have had pretty good won-loss records over the years with the exception of one...mens basketball. Until the athletic administration makes a commitment to mens basketball, there will be no improvement in the program. I really had high hopes when Russ Pennell was brought back and I am sorry that did not work out. Hope Anthony Boone can get things going this year.

Sorry for the length of the post....like I mentioned, alot of this has been on my mind for a long time.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:23 pm 
All-Conference

Beau wrote:
Hello everyone...it has been a while since I have posted so bare with me for a moment. This has been VERY difficult for me to write.

I have spent alot of time thinking about the Farris Center over the years and yes, like many of you, I agree a new facility for basketball is needed. The Farris Center, in my opinion, is beyond updating. It needs to be replaced. Don't even bring up Scottie Pippen. That donation is not happening.

Money is tight in higher education and at UCA, that is no exception. With the cuts the school is facing this year, we will not see any substancial improvements made to the building for a while. It would be nice if general maintenance would be addressed, but from what I am told, the money is just not there. Location was mentioned in an earlier post. I suppose the school could look at the area on the southwest corner of the campus at Dave Ward Drive and Farris Road. Nice location. They looked at that as the location for a hotel at one time.

Meanwhile, it is my believeth that UCA is using mens basketball for nothing more than to fund the minor sports in the athletic department. I believe that the department is not interested in having a successful mens basketball program. Yes, there has been success in the academics of the program, which is most important for the school and those student athletes who are participating. According to the budget, the department had $1.2 million dollars in game guarantees during the 2019-2020 fiscal year. The 2020-2021 budget is calling for $1,179,500, which is a reduction of about $20,000. Yes, I know, there is, most likely, game guarantees in there for football and I suspect the remainder is coming from mens basketball and maybe a few from womens basketball. In checking the conference schedules from last season from around the Southland Conference, it appears that most schools are scheduling two to three money games per year. I can't confirm this, but it looks like last year that the Bears played seven money games. It appears that we are sending our guys out there to get killed by major Division I programs while the department is laughing all the way to the bank.

Correct me if I am wrong, but most of our athletic teams have had pretty good won-loss records over the years with the exception of one...mens basketball. Until the athletic administration makes a commitment to mens basketball, there will be no improvement in the program. I really had high hopes when Russ Pennell was brought back and I am sorry that did not work out. Hope Anthony Boone can get things going this year.

Sorry for the length of the post....like I mentioned, alot of this has been on my mind for a long time.

UCA Athletic Department take note! This guy is speaking the truth!