It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2020-2021 Season
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:00 pm 
UserName Retired

1967 Snow Fine Arts center.

2000 Reynolds Performing arts center.

2021 $20 million Windgate performing arts center.

1972 Farris Center.

Pretty much tells me how much UCA cares about the success of its sports. #-o

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:39 pm 
Practice Squad

Check my 2020-21 post on season prediction less then 7 wins and projected 11th or 12th in conference play. UCA for the last couple years statistically has been 12th/13th rating as a defensive club.

The head coach has zero help and probably no support behind the scenes. Dr. Teague needs to get a huge fire hose as the majority of the recruits and direction is a classic:

Dumpster Fire of Epic Proportions __ Please someone call the Conway Fire Department we have 12 alarm fire starting with ACU and SFA at the Ferris Center coming up over the next week.

Dr. Teague the program is worse this year then last year.... The change you made for whatever reason is worse.... Dr Davis needs step in as going ASUN the talent level goes up.

UCA _ The Southland's Washington Generals. LOL

PS will be at the game Saturday to recap and hope I can get in with a crowd over over 50 people in attendance.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:59 pm 
UserName Retired

I would think $30 million would do it...if you know anyone with that type bucks I'll bet there would be interest.....higher ed in the US is a mess even if UCA has kept its head above water through two serious recessions......there is a real limit to what athletic departments can obtain through student activity fees....don't count on major capital dollars for athletics from state money or student fees.......every university needs a T Boone.....we are just one short of that....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:39 am 
UserName Retired

JRK wrote:
I would think $30 million would do it...if you know anyone with that type bucks I'll bet there would be interest.....higher ed in the US is a mess even if UCA has kept its head above water through two serious recessions......there is a real limit to what athletic departments can obtain through student activity fees....don't count on major capital dollars for athletics from state money or student fees.......every university needs a T Boone.....we are just one short of that....

This.

But lack of donations is directly affected by how much a university makes their alumni and donors and tailgaters feel part of the program. When you tailgate and simple rules of enforcement are pushed aside then you quit tailgating. When you have 11 football games and only four of them are at home and 3 of them are late in the season, the college kids just don't care. Why should they? It proves the university considers athletics second on every level. When the facilities are the oldest and smallest in most of your poor conference, it shows you don't care. A 9000 seat football stadium in the Southland? THAT'S SMALL even for the SLC. A basketball arena that functions as classrooms, is 50 years old, and serves refried hot dog water bites at $3 a pop....um...no.

The university needs to find a way to make the experience of athletics better. No. They need to actually MAKE an athletic experience at UCA. I once tailgated at a baseball game...the looks I got from some fans (what's this? it's new!) and the administration (why are you doing that!) was strange. The smiles I got from the players and the coaches was awesome.

It doesn't take HUGE dollars to make fans feel like family.

My tailgates and get togethers are open to anyone who wants to join me.
But you better be a BEAR fan! LOL.

I have tailgated with fans from other schools too. They are a blast.
I've been to McNeese's tailgates. Their fans cook up and invite ANYONE and party and drink and have a blast the day before a football game.

That doesn't cost UCA a darn penny.

Ok . Rant over. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:51 am 
All-Conference

BearCountry wrote:
JRK wrote:

This.

But lack of donations is directly affected by how much a university makes their alumni and donors and tailgaters feel part of the program. When you tailgate and simple rules of enforcement are pushed aside then you quit tailgating. When you have 11 football games and only four of them are at home and 3 of them are late in the season, the college kids just don't care. Why should they? It proves the university considers athletics second on every level. When the facilities are the oldest and smallest in most of your poor conference, it shows you don't care. A 9000 seat football stadium in the Southland? THAT'S SMALL even for the SLC. A basketball arena that functions as classrooms, is 50 years old, and serves refried hot dog water bites at $3 a pop....um...no.

The university needs to find a way to make the experience of athletics better. No. They need to actually MAKE an athletic experience at UCA. I once tailgated at a baseball game...the looks I got from some fans (what's this? it's new!) and the administration (why are you doing that!) was strange. The smiles I got from the players and the coaches was awesome.

I've been to McNeese's tailgates. Their fans cook up and invite ANYONE and party and drink and have a blast the day before a football game.

BearCountry would love to get together with ya sometime and tailgate with you. I did for the 2019 season, but didn't get a ton of people who wanted to do it with me. I can bring the TV, Boombox and Food! Even for a couple of games!

I am suprised how much UCA doesn't care for the non-bear backer fans. Most of the fans back the bears! We just don't have 10,000.00 to hand out to you.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:56 am 
UserName Retired

Mulerider wrote:
BearCountry wrote:
JRK wrote:

This.

BearCountry would love to get together with ya sometime and tailgate with you. I did for the 2019 season, but didn't get a ton of people who wanted to do it with me. I can bring the TV, Boombox and Food! Even for a couple of games!

I am suprised how much UCA doesn't care for the non-bear backer fans. Most of the fans back the bears! We just don't have 10,000.00 to hand out to you.

I've been going to UCA football games since 1989. I know that's not as long as some of the posters on this board, but it is what it is. I'm disappointed in our athletic administration making this a afterthought. The players deserve better. The fans deserve better. Maybe it's time to take it off their hands and create a group that leaves them behind. :lol: I can see it now after we set up a tailgate tent on the berm along first base line. "um. You are not allowed to set up a tent on the visitor side. You can rent a spot on the wooden patio though". UGH. Seriously. Dogs and kids run on that thing. How about we let the fans get some HYPE into this program for once.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:20 pm 
All-Conference

This.

Ok . Rant over. :lol:[/quote]

I am suprised how much UCA doesn't care for the non-bear backer fans. Most of the fans back the bears! We just don't have 10,000.00 to hand out to you.[/quote]

I've been going to UCA football games since 1989. I know that's not as long as some of the posters on this board, but it is what it is. I'm disappointed in our athletic administration making this a afterthought. The players deserve better. The fans deserve better. Maybe it's time to take it off their hands and create a group that leaves them behind. :lol: I can see it now after we set up a tailgate tent on the berm along first base line. "um. You are not allowed to set up a tent on the visitor side. You can rent a spot on the wooden patio though". UGH. Seriously. Dogs and kids run on that thing. How about we let the fans get some HYPE into this program for once.[/quote]

Wow, now I feel like a kid with being born in 1994. Haha! Yes you have hit the nail on the head. For real though, send me a private message if you want and maybe we can tailgate at an event sometime. I have an official UCA Tent from Sam's. A pretty good TV, and can get a hold of a generator if needed. Also, my wife loves to make tailgate food and do all that kind of stuff. As well as if anyone wants to PM me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:59 pm 
UserName Retired

Mulerider wrote:
Wow, now I feel like a kid with being born in 1994. Haha! Yes you have hit the nail on the head. For real though, send me a private message if you want and maybe we can tailgate at an event sometime. I have an official UCA Tent from Sam's. A pretty good TV, and can get a hold of a generator if needed. Also, my wife loves to make tailgate food and do all that kind of stuff. As well as if anyone wants to PM me.

Woah. Now you are going to make FOOT feel REALLY REALLY OLD! :lol:
1994. I was basically ready to graduate UCA at that time! UGH. How time flies!

OK. Back to the basketball season folks!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:23 pm 
All-Conference

Good discussion....bottom line, this department is not going to change. Oh, they talk a good game, but they are not in any way, shape, or form going to change.

Yep, the Farris Center has seen better days and it probably does need replacing, but that dreaded word...."Money" always seems to be right there in the way. I have been to all of the facilities in the SLC and I must say that the Farris Center is probably some where in the middle to just below the middle of the pack. Some of the league schools have basically a barebones hyper facility that they play their games in.

All of you have brought up very, very valid points regarding the mens program, but let's just face it, UCA is not going to strive to make improvements. They are going to let it rot away some more.

They are going to bring in a few guys every year that do not mind getting their brains beaten out because they are getting school paid for and we will continue to see three to five wins per season.

I don't know why I keep beating the drum for this program, but I have come to the conclusion that it is time to just stop trying. I guess 40 plus years was enough.

Good Day Gentlemen.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:36 pm 
All-Conference

Beau wrote:
Good discussion....bottom line, this department is not going to change. Oh, they talk a good game, but they are not in any way, shape, or form going to change.

Yep, the Farris Center has seen better days and it probably does need replacing, but that dreaded word...."Money" always seems to be right there in the way. I have been to all of the facilities in the SLC and I must say that the Farris Center is probably some where in the middle to just below the middle of the pack. Some of the league schools have basically a barebones hyper facility that they play their games in.

All of you have brought up very, very valid points regarding the mens program, but let's just face it, UCA is not going to strive to make improvements. They are going to let it rot away some more.

They are going to bring in a few guys every year that do not mind getting their brains beaten out because they are getting school paid for and we will continue to see three to five wins per season.

I don't know why I keep beating the drum for this program, but I have come to the conclusion that it is time to just stop trying. I guess 40 plus years was enough.

Good Day Gentlemen.

I wonder what the athletic fee they charge per tuition hour is? Maybe they could raise that just a bit and get a grant or private donation for the rest?

I would assume that if there was a new building, it would be shared with Volleyball. The current Farris would then turn into a practice gym or graduation/concert venue. Speaking of.... What if UCA held more concerts in the Farris Center...... Not a bad idea...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:43 pm 
UserName Retired

https://uca.edu/studentaccounts/files/2020/07/2020-2021StatementofFees.pdf

$19 per credit hour per above link......same as A-State....always contentious to raise.....academics seem to think it should go to academic programs....how odd....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:37 pm 
Team Captain

Some of my thoughts on Fundraising and lack of a quality Basketball facility:

1. People like to know where there donations are going, this is why the day of giving is so successful, and because the university has set the expectation that it’s a once a year thing. It’s a really excellent example of gamification, and its this gamification that should be leveraged year round. Let me explain if you go to the alumni website, the UCA home page, UCA sports, UCA iPhone app (you get the point) there should be a sidebar with top funding initiatives, and bar displaying how much is raised. Plus the ability to click in and see all funding initiatives, and sharing links for sharing socially. Big initiatives would be things like new Basketball arena, smaller initiatives could be funding for departments things like medical simulators for nursing students.

2. Even large donors don’t want to pay for an entire building, they want to see there donation matched, or see that many others in the community have contributed, so when they do donate it’s for something bigger than just there own ego or tax deduction.

3. I donated twice last year, to two different causes at UCA. While I did receive confirmation and thank you emails, it’s interesting to me I haven’t received a call or email prompting additional/future donation.

4. We’re all getting the confirm your contact info postcards and emails. Shouldn’t we instead be getting funding campaign emails that also list an option to update contact detail? Updating your contact detail shouldn’t be independent campaign (sorry for marketing jargon).

5. Segmentation/Targeting... sure we all wish/hope for the white whale, but in the absence or in parallel the university should be segmenting their alumni and donors. A small handful of students could identify alumni on LinkedIn. Bucket them by job role & earning potential. Then begin outreach campaigns within LinkedIn adding value in addition to seeking donations. Example: I see you’ve had a successful career in XYZ industry, are you aware you can post job openings and recruit students by contacting career services? Also I see it’s been ages since you supported a cause at UCA. Was there a specific team, department, or cause you cared about while on campus? Would you consider becoming a sustaining donor to one of those causes?

6. The prior segmentation could determine who reaches out (president, athletic director, Bruce D Bear (haha), alumni director, student)

7. I agree with the former comments about concerts/comics/theater productions. It’s free publicity, brings in revenue, and in some ways it’s a public service that all tax payers helped fund. Why are there so few (in non covid times)?

Rant over

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:51 pm 
UserName Retired

ACU@UCA

ACU 49-33=82 (11-2)
UCA 36-48=84 (3-10)

ACU/UCA
FGs: 45% v 51%....Bears +2 made 2s
3s: 52% v 37%....ACU +5 made...12/23..wow
FTs: 64% v 64%...Bears +7 made...still missed 12
Rebs: 8/26/34 v 9/31/40
TOs: 11 v 13..still ACU had 9 steals

HUGE win .....solid rebs...much better TOs....solid shooting.....Coach credits Bergerson running the point well.....Bergerson had an excellent game with 26/3/7A/2B/1S....7/15 FGs including 3/6 3s....in 39 minutes....Chatham had a fine game also with 21/10 double in only 29 minutes....steady Eddy had a solid 13/8/2A/2S....with 6/7 FTs.....Bennett also solid at 11/3/2A/1B....

Down16 at half then stormed back and took lead at the 8:37 minute mark on Bennett fastbreak...able to stay close then Chatham hit a bucket for a 3pt lead... with 3:21...Kayouloud added 4 FTs to build a 4 pt lead with 1:23....then added another with 10 seconds left for the final score.....

Maybe ACU took Bears for granted until it was a real battle....still the played with a very good team who had whipped them earlier....not this time....really glad for the guys .....maybe get in the groove for the rest of the way...

SFA on Monday and SLU on Wed both at FC......Go Bears!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:42 pm 
Practice Squad

Another great effort at home. SFA defense strategy on R. Bergersen was spot on as he has poor ball handling and the 5 turnovers then effected the shooting.

Eddie K and Chatham played good and Bennett scores but massive defensive liability. See Cooper was back and he did not show.

Heard today at the game Southland Conference is now taking ten (10) teams. Too bad as the Bears loss and tonight HBU, Lamar etc wins and are fighting for the final spot.

Very sad picked 7th pre-season ___ Can't make a ten (10) team tourney. Texas CC, UCA and probably HBU stays home again for another year.

S.O.S. Dr Teague get Anthony Boone help ___ Since firing Pennell still winning PCT% 30%... Question is it the players (or) recruiting talent?

Coach Boone hang tough.

Last edited by Toadsuckhoops on Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:50 am 
All-Conference

Toadsuckhoops wrote:
Another great effort at home. SFA defense strategy on R. Bergersen was spot on as he has poor ball handling and the 5 turnovers then effected the shooting.

Eddie K and Chatham played good and Bennett scores but massive defensive liability. See Cooper was back and he did not show.

Heard today at the game Southland Conference is now taking ten (10) teams. Too bad as the Bears loss and tonight HBU, Lamar etc wins and are fighting for the final spot.

Very sad picked 7th pre-season ___ Can't make a ten (10) team tourney. Texas CC, UCA and probably HBU stays home again for another year.

S.O.S. Dr Teague get Anthony Boone help ___ His staff is weak and track record to date overall .30% win pct. Bring in your guys not these strays from the Pennell era.

Coach Boone hang tough.

Despite the final result, I appreciate the effort the Bears put out on Monday.

IMHO, Teague will not take any action. He has failed to do so in the past. I really don't think he gives two hoots about mens basketball.

Hope the Bears can close out with a couple of wins this week.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next