It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2020-2021 Season
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:55 pm 
All-Conference

Toadsuckhoops wrote:
Wow

Watched the SHS and UCA game yesterday ESPN+. How do you compete for 20 minutes and the next 20 minutes get out scored by 38 points?

Answer: Coaching and talent off the bench.

Very easy new head coach, who has been there for what six (6) years and his so called head assistant who brought in the majority of the talent (exception the Bergerson and Jones kid who were brought in with Koval by Pennell.

The talent here is a dumpster fire __ Coach Boone needs talented assistants who know and can develop talent. The lead recruiter + Boone are recruiting and performing at under 30% wins and loses over six+ years.

Picked 7th 20-21 and they will lose ALL but maybe win at home vs. USEL and finish 4-20. Please and this talent will be back because NO one if entering the portal would take them.

Bergersen only stat filler and like yesterday cannot handle the ball and should be wing. In addition, look at Koval UNCG on the bench averaging six points a game and minutes getting less and less. Koval and like UCA program horrible defensively and when pushed like yesterday ___ flatout quit.

Going to the ASUN it will get tougher and UCA and Kennesaw St will be the dumpster fire programs.... UCA administration needs support Coach Boone, get him reasonable budget and hire real assistants with connections geographically.

Hate to be harsh but does AD care (or) does AD & President like the loser checks more? Plus, who cares when 50 people go to the games.

Agree with everything you have stated....I'm not sure the administration cares.

It is so obvious that the AD does not care. He has been here a number of years and has let things get even worse. But, you can be damn sure he loves those checks for those big money games.

I stated this early on that Coach Boone deserves a chance and I still feel that way, but the man is not getting any help. Think it might be time to look for another AD, but again, no one cares.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:32 pm 
Redshirt

Would have posted more this season, but site seemed to have lost my login info. So had to make new account.

Haven't watched a whole lot of action to be honest, but I'm sure it is hard to be positive in this teams W-L column situation.

Coach Boone just needs to finish out this year. Reevaluate everything in program. But hey a breath of fresh air will be nice in a new conference. Didn't even know this was happening up until 2 weeks ago. Just hope he can get a good budget and source of help to build a good program. I feel like between COVID and losing a few key guys due to injury may have put this team back a year or 2.

Just stay positive Coach Boone & Co.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:52 pm 
All-Conference

FaulknerFrank_ wrote:
Would have posted more this season, but site seemed to have lost my login info. So had to make new account.

Haven't watched a whole lot of action to be honest, but I'm sure it is hard to be positive in this teams W-L column situation.

Coach Boone just needs to finish out this year. Reevaluate everything in program. But hey a breath of fresh air will be nice in a new conference. Didn't even know this was happening up until 2 weeks ago. Just hope he can get a good budget and source of help to build a good program. I feel like between COVID and losing a few key guys due to injury may have put this team back a year or 2.

Just stay positive Coach Boone & Co.

I think the players for the most part like Coach Boone. I think he needs a definitely bigger budget for stuff. No reason UCA shouldn't be able to build a .500 team. Many JC players and walk on's. Recruit some local Central Arkansas guys with a good GPA and attitude. No reason we should be loosing games by 20 in conference. Just doesn't make sense. Also, from what I have heard from locals, they want to go to the games, but want to get a good deal on tickets.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:34 pm 
UserName Retired

2020-21 TICKET PRICES-Basketball
Single Game Tickets
Reserved: 15.00
General Admission (Adult) - $10
General Admission (Youth/Senior) - $8

Not sure what people expect for D1 basketball games but this has to be pretty competitive with other non-P5 conferences and non-top tier mid majors.....

UALR shows $14 for GA
Lipscomb shows $10/$5
Kennesaw State shows $15
La Tech shows $10-25/$8-10
Northwestern State shows $10/$5
Southeastern La shows $8-26/$6
Nicholls State shows $10-15
UNO shows $10-15
Austin Peay shows $15
Lamar shows $15
SFA shows $15-25

Could not find for A-State

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:39 pm 
All-Conference

JRK wrote:
2020-21 TICKET PRICES-Basketball
Single Game Tickets
Reserved: 15.00
General Admission (Adult) - $10
General Admission (Youth/Senior) - $8

Not sure what people expect for D1 basketball games but this has to be pretty competitive with other non-P5 conferences and non-top tier mid majors.....

UALR shows $14 for GA
Lipscomb shows $10/$5
Kennesaw State shows $15
La Tech shows $10-25/$8-10
Northwestern State shows $10/$5
Southeastern La shows $8-26/$6
Nicholls State shows $10-15
UNO shows $10-15
Austin Peay shows $15
Lamar shows $15
SFA shows $15-25

Could not find for A-State

I think I would be ok if I wasn't getting harassed by workers. Oh sir, you can't sit there, but you can sit one row up. Hun, I'm ok with that, but it's kinda embarrassing where are at that point where the games streamed online look empty because most don't want to pay for reserved. Also, it's very hypocritical when you let students or athletes from other sports do what ever they want and sit wherever they want. entitlement much? Plus they sit there for like 5 mins then leave. I almost always move seats at halftime for a better seat.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:00 pm 
UserName Retired

UCA@Nicholls

UCA 30-38=68 (2-9)
NSU 37-42=79 (10-2)

UCA/NSU
FGs: 41% v 44%...Colonels +9 made
3s: 46% v 29%...UCA +2 made
FTs: 82% v 57%...+1 made...excellent shooting just not enough at the line
Rebs: 7/29/36 v 15/29/44...Colonels +20 PIP...ugh...+9 2nd chance
TOs: 16 v 10..hard to beat very good teams on the road with TOs....

Kayouloud exceptional in only 31 minutes (fouled out) with 22/7/1A/3S and only one TO....9/15 2s and 4/8 3s.....Bergerson had another solid game 17/4/5A/2S....Cooper added 16/4.....Bears only led once at 23-22 then hung around and got back to 41-42 early in H2....then continued to hang in until the last 8-9 minutes when Nicholls got hot from 3 while the Bears were cold...got down 17 then outscored NSU 21-15 to end but just not close enough....

Now to NOLA for a Monday make up game with UNO (3-6) which is huge in the standings for Bears....then home next Sat vs ACU (10-1)....Go Bears!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:12 pm 
UserName Retired

UCA@UNO

UCA 30-33=63 (2-10)
UNO 44-44=88 (4-6)

UCA/UNO
FGs: 32% v 58%...UNO +10 made...62% FGs
3s: 19% v 46%...UNO +2 made...Bears only 4/21
FTs: 59% vs 75%....Bears +1 made but missed 9
Rebs: 24/19/43 vs 7/32/39...UCA +12 2nd chance...but UNO +16 PIP
TOs: 14 v 13

Wonder if rebounds were some sort of NCAA record to grab 24 o-rebs, be up +17 o-rebs and lose game by 25? In spite of poor shooting (2s, 3s and FTs) it was a general lack of defense that made the big difference....UNO +16 PIP....with good D mid 60s should be in contention to win....

Bears generally led the first 9 minutes then UNO took a 17 point game with 3 minutes to go in H1....Bears cut it back a bit ...neither team scored in first 4 minutes of H2...UNO edged it out to 18 and Bears cut in back down to 12...then UNO edged out to 20ish....Bears poor shooting just not able to cut not the lead....

Kudos to Jared Chatham who had a very fine 14/13/1A/1S/2Bs....Masai Olowokere had a solid 12/4 with 3/5 3s....Rylan Bergerson just another day at work with a very good 16/4/4A/1S...not up to par shooting with only 5/16....Khaleem Bennett was solid at 12/6/1A/2S/1B....

Bears playing without Samsom George and Collin Cooper (another G down).....

Now back to FC for tough games vs ACU and SFA before ending home schedule vs Southeastern and road game at Northwestern State...need a couple wins.....Go Bears!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:15 pm 
UserName Retired

Lack of defense.

Extremely poor shooting. 32%

Pathetic 3 point shooting. 19%

Pedestrian free-throw shooting. 59%

But hey! We can rebound! :|

That tells me we are missing a leader on the floor. No point guard.

Ok. Do teams have a moving basket when we play them? :lol:

I mean the FREE THROW hasn't changed in 100 years. No one is playing defense on you when you shoot it. The basket isn't moving. It's literally a FREE THROW at the basket..which is what I think we do when we are allegedly shooting it.

19% from the 3..........4/21. Ok. If I recall typically if you are short a PG or two and you are left with forwards and centers etc...that tends to MAKE you change your game from an outside shooting festival to an inside out game. 21 shots??? WHY? Draw the fouls down low!

SFA isn't going to let us play a low game. IF we use this same plan we will be destroyed by our next few opponents.

But if all you have is the low block game...you better use it and hope the fouls are called against the defense.

Speaking of defense........what is our primary game in that horrible area?
Man to man?
Zone?
Bench?
Who cares!..let me get another rebound!!! (we're pretty good at that it appears).

Man this team needs to get healthy...and his brother point guard. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:58 pm 
All-Conference

BearCountry wrote:
Lack of defense.

Extremely poor shooting. 32%

Pathetic 3 point shooting. 19%

Pedestrian free-throw shooting. 59%

But hey! We can rebound! :|

That tells me we are missing a leader on the floor. No point guard.

Ok. Do teams have a moving basket when we play them? :lol:

I mean the FREE THROW hasn't changed in 100 years. No one is playing defense on you when you shoot it. The basket isn't moving. It's literally a FREE THROW at the basket..which is what I think we do when we are allegedly shooting it.

19% from the 3..........4/21. Ok. If I recall typically if you are short a PG or two and you are left with forwards and centers etc...that tends to MAKE you change your game from an outside shooting festival to an inside out game. 21 shots??? WHY? Draw the fouls down low!

SFA isn't going to let us play a low game. IF we use this same plan we will be destroyed by our next few opponents.

But if all you have is the low block game...you better use it and hope the fouls are called against the defense.

Speaking of defense........what is our primary game in that horrible area?
Man to man?
Zone?
Bench?
Who cares!..let me get another rebound!!! (we're pretty good at that it appears).

Man this team needs to get healthy...and his brother point guard. :lol:

Bring in Air Bud!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:23 pm 
All-Conference

Can't believe I am saying this....but why, why, why, why, why does UCA still have a mens basketball program ? And lets leave out the obvious of funding the other minor programs at the school.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:24 pm 
All-Conference

Beau wrote:
Can't believe I am saying this....but why, why, why, why, why does UCA still have a mens basketball program ? And lets leave out the obvious of funding the other minor programs at the school.

To fund other non profitable men's and all women's sports?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:15 pm 
UserName Retired

We've fired coaches.

We've dismissed players.

We've watched women's basketball win the conference and go the BIG DANCE.

There is ZERO reason why this program is as bad as it is.

Sometimes you fall into a hole and all you can see is the walls.

Time for a reset. Time to give this program new life.

Scottie Pippen is not walking through that door.
Clifton Bush is not walking through that door.
Joe Sitkowski is not walking through that door.
Arch Ford is not walking through that door.
And if they do they are going to be old and gray.
But that's not who we are! We're young, exciting, hard-working and going to improve.
People don't realize that!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:48 pm 
All-Conference

BearCountry wrote:
We've fired coaches.

We've dismissed players.

We've watched women's basketball win the conference and go the BIG DANCE.

There is ZERO reason why this program is as bad as it is.

Sometimes you fall into a hole and all you can see is the walls.

Time for a reset. Time to give this program new life.

Scottie Pippen is not walking through that door.
Clifton Bush is not walking through that door.
Joe Sitkowski is not walking through that door.
Arch Ford is not walking through that door.
And if they do they are going to be old and gray.
But that's not who we are! We're young, exciting, hard-working and going to improve.
People don't realize that!

Sorry BearCountry, but I just don't see it happening.

The decline really started after Don Dyer retired in the early 1990's.

Arch Jones tried and failed as did others.

Rand Chappell had some success in the latter years of Division II, but even he couldn't keep it going after the move to D-I.

Then you have Corliss, Clarence Finley, Russ Pennell and now Anthony Boone.

One winning season since the D-I era started.....we are not even competitive.

I am not asking that we win EVERY game....I just want us to be competitive.

At least our guys, from what I understand, are going to class and getting their degrees. That is a good thing.

Until we get a change in the athletic administration, there will be no change in the mens basketball program. PERIOD!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:02 pm 
UserName Retired

Oh I agree.

I just thought it would be funny to steal and twist a quote from Pitino.

I was here during the early 90s. Basketball was not only fun to watch but we won. Yes it was at the NAIA level, but going to those Nattys was a blast for students.

When you look at what the recruits see when they show up it pretty much says band-aid for the program. Tarps hanging off walls. Bats flying around the rafters. It's second place to everything else on campus. While i'm glad the gimmick known as the stripes has worked, I don't want to be known as "the school that pippen went to one time".

There really is only one fix for this.

New building that displays a sense of pride in our programs..both mens and womens. Even if it looks like Conway High's stadium...it's better than what we have. I'll put up some money...

Old photo..but you get the idea. Circle that puppy! No more walls and reserved seating. IT has a new floor now. Seating is still 2300 though. Still 2000 more than we need.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:40 pm 
All-Conference

The university is going to have to do a better job of filling the stands up. Give out tickets to high school students. Have special themed nights. Have a better deal on season tickets. Try to make the gym somewhat appealing. Have friendly ushers that don't harass you if you accidently sit in the wrong seat. Don't have students and other sport athletes walk on the floor during the game.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next