It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mens Basketball/Serious Question
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:31 pm 
All-Conference

Because of my job, I don't get on here as much as I would like. Just always gone and in an effort for full disclosure, I have not attended a game this year and last year.

It would appear that as the season has gone on, the team has vastly improved. Looks like a real good chance of finishing third in the division. It seemed like when we were in the Southland, we could never get any traction and just die a horrible death toward the end of the season.

Many of you also know that I have blasted the heck out of the athletic administration regarding all of the money games they schedule and the general lack of support for mens basketball.

The simple question...is the ASUN a better basketball league than the Southland ? It appears to me that it is weaker, but since I have been relegated to live stats and occasionally the internet radio, I just don't know. Look forward to your feedback.

Post subject: Re: Mens Basketball/Serious Question
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:33 pm 
UserName Retired

Looking at the RPI by conference:

#23 ASUN
#30 Southland

Now #23 as a conference out of 32 conferences is nothing to shout about it is much better than the Southland who basically had one team, SFA, that made noise.

We are going to get better basketball players because just looking at the teams in the ASUN you see more basketball powers. Liberty is a huge one. FGCU is one I've seen make noise too.

I think we will be better in basketball because we joined the ASUN. I also think the ASUN will be better in it too because of how they approach the sport by taking on new members like UCA.

We sure weren't going to get good basketball recruits in the Southland. It's a football league. The ASUN seems to be a good balance of both sports.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:53 pm 
UserName Retired

Win tonight @UNA to claim 3rd seed in West Division.....need to win at Lipscomb on Sat to keep the train rolling....need a crowd at tourney game next Tue at FC....credit coach and the players for keeping at it this season.....ASUN is certainly better in basketball than Southland overall....hope that translates in recruiting at a higher level....

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:20 am 
2nd Team

JRK wrote:
Win tonight @UNA to claim 3rd seed in West Division.....need to win at Lipscomb on Sat to keep the train rolling....need a crowd at tourney game next Tue at FC....credit coach and the players for keeping at it this season.....ASUN is certainly better in basketball than Southland overall....hope that translates in recruiting at a higher level....

I would assume we won't play too many key players Saturday. No seeding benefit to winning. Momentum, sure, but I would treat it like a week 17 NFL game if you already have seeding locked in...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:21 am 
2nd Team

Beau wrote:
Because of my job, I don't get on here as much as I would like. Just always gone and in an effort for full disclosure, I have not attended a game this year and last year.

It would appear that as the season has gone on, the team has vastly improved. Looks like a real good chance of finishing third in the division. It seemed like when we were in the Southland, we could never get any traction and just die a horrible death toward the end of the season.

Many of you also know that I have blasted the heck out of the athletic administration regarding all of the money games they schedule and the general lack of support for mens basketball.

The simple question...is the ASUN a better basketball league than the Southland ? It appears to me that it is weaker, but since I have been relegated to live stats and occasionally the internet radio, I just don't know. Look forward to your feedback.

Top to bottom, ASUN is much stronger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:27 pm 
UserName Retired

Last night was the first time I have seen a game in person since about 2018...I thought the players last night looked and carried themselves like real D1 basketball players...not top tier for sure but credible in their league's ....Stetson was 6th seed in the East and they had several very good players...two guys could light it up from about 25 feet...a telling statement was the quote from the Stetson coach in the Democrat-Gazette today that UCA is one of the hardest teams in the ASUN to play because the Bears have so many players about the same size and who can switch off so much....I saw that for real last night on both ends of the court.....apparently the consistency from game to game is an issue and probably cost us 5-6 games that were losses but very winnable....were it not for the terrifically tough OOC schedule this team could have been about 16-14...

Crowd was only about 2100 but it was very loud and involved in the 2nd half....