It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 6:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Something New!!!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:45 pm 
All-American

I guess you could consider me a long time lurker and a first time poster.
I have been requested by a few of you if I would come on the board after our games and take questions, make comments, etc. .

Steveo has been doing this for a while when time permits and I am willing to try this and see what happens.

Usually, I am back at my hotel or at my house within an hour after the game, give or take a few minutes.

If you guys would like to visit tonight, I suspect I will be logged on some time between 7:30 and 8 p.m. . It is about a 30 minute drive up to Jax. St. . I'll try to get back as soon as I can.

Monty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:44 pm 
UserName Retired

Well it's about time you made yourself known on here. Hope you can handle all the intellect associated with this board. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:35 pm 
All-American

Honey Bear wrote:
Well it's about time you made yourself known on here. Hope you can handle all the intellect associated with this board. :wink:

I suspect the pressure will be unbelieveable.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:08 pm 
All-American

Mens game delayed...the officals have not arrived...I will post the game time when I get it.

"M"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:18 pm 
All-American

Even worse...the officals thought it was a 7 p.m. tip...we will be here for a while...will keep you posted.

"M"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:21 pm 
All-American

Will take air shortly after 4:30 p.m. . Tip at about 4:45 p.m. .

"M"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:53 pm 
UserName Retired

No broadcast of the Sugar Bears game, yet. Sounded like the boys played one of their better all-round games this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:56 pm 
All-American

Honey Bear wrote:
No broadcast of the Sugar Bears game, yet. Sounded like the boys played one of their better all-round games this year.

Understand he had to use a cellphone because the lines in that basically NEW facility are garbage

Going to get some dinner...if anyone wants to visit about the game when I get back in about an hour, I will be available.

"M"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:18 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Monty:

Bears are off to a great start.....wish we had put in a couple games before taking on Kentucky....

Hard to tell how good the team might be just listening on radio......our guards seem to be coming together and playing pretty solid.....any comment or observations?

What size crowd did Jax State have today? Sounded pretty loud at times....

Seems like we played better today on the road than at home last weekend.....did Jax State did play poorly today or were Bears at a level or two up from last week? That would be good news to play well on the road....

Thanks for your game calls...I'll be listening in next Wed v Idaho.

SBs win also on the road today...great day to be a UCA fan!!!

GoBears!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:36 pm 
UserName Retired

ucafan1907 wrote:
Sounded pretty loud at times....

That band was pretty loud.

Those are some pretty good questions. I don't think any others need to be added.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:04 pm 
All-American

treyuca wrote:
ucafan1907 wrote:
Sounded pretty loud at times....

That band was pretty loud.

Those are some pretty good questions. I don't think any others need to be added.

LOUD & OBNOXIOUS...that was good...

"M"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:23 pm 
All-American

ucafan1907 wrote:
Monty:

Bears are off to a great start.....wish we had put in a couple games before taking on Kentucky....

Hard to tell how good the team might be just listening on radio......our guards seem to be coming together and playing pretty solid.....any comment or observations?

What size crowd did Jax State have today? Sounded pretty loud at times....

Seems like we played better today on the road than at home last weekend.....did Jax State did play poorly today or were Bears at a level or two up from last week? That would be good news to play well on the road....

Thanks for your game calls...I'll be listening in next Wed v Idaho.

SBs win also on the road today...great day to be a UCA fan!!!

GoBears!!

I'll try this again...password here at the hotel expired and when I hit post, I lost it all.

Anyway, regarding the crowd. Listed at 1309. They are dreaming.
Maybe 300...most of them were right there around me and the band. Their SID told me before the game they had been drawing around 1500-to-1700 for home games. Go figure.

One thing I really liked about this game is that is only the 5th game that Jacksonville State has lost to a non-conference foe since the 2000-2001 season. They were 22-and-4 coming into the game tonight.

Regarding the guards, I think our trio of guards are as good a group as I have seen in many years. Each contributes in their on way. Marcus and Nate are both good at shooting the three and and slashing inside. This could be debated, but I think Marcus is a little bit better at handling the ball than Nate. York Sims is the first guard I have seen in years that goes after the rebound after his shot. Love that.

I really like the way the big men are playing, especially Nevels and Marks.
Marks was EVERYWHERE tonight. 10 points and 17 rebounds. Nevels had 14 points 11 rebounds. Landrell Brewer is coming along and I think he will contribute more as the season progresses. I know it is still early, but I like what I am seeing out of Marc Winston. I know he has played in only two games, but he rebounds well and has a good touch on his shot.

Although we most likely played our best game today, I think we
can play better. Our biggest problem, I feel, is depth. Losing
Mitch Reuter was huge. He could play so many positions. As an example
only, looking at todays box score, after our starters, our bench provided only six points. Four from Cannon and two from Brewer.

Rand spoke the other day about finishing strong. Once Jacksonville State came out and jumped on us to start the second half. Our guys settled down and got back into their game.

Regarding the Sugarbears, I was thrilled to see them win tonight. They
are SO young. If she can keep them together, they might be pretty salty in a year or so.

Hope I answered your questions.

Monty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:57 am 
Two-Time All-American

Thanks. Be interesting to see how Winston works out.....always good to have a big football player who can take a beating and give some fouls to plug the middle and get some rebounds. Depth might be the Achilles Heal.

The exciting thing about a young team such as the SBs is they play with intensity and enthusiam. Like AA baseball players they really want to improve. Never know how far they might go this year... confidence will go a long way.

GoBearsAndSugarBears!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:54 pm 
All-American

Welcome to the board, Monty. It's nice to have more company here in the electronic depths of the Sea of Purple. If you see us in public, just act like you don't know us. No use ruining your reputation. :wink:

Saturday's game sounded good. It makes me think they are getting close to being a long-term team.