It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mirror Schedule
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:41 am 
All-American

I am curious as to how the Southland fans that have come on to the board in recent days feel about the mirror schedule that they are using in basketball.

I had heard that the SLC is instituting the system this year.

For you that have not heard of this, I am told, for example, the days of double headers are gone in conference play. To continue the example, I am told that on a conference game night, UCA's men would be playing a home game against, lets say Sam Houston State while the Sugar Bears would be on the road at Sam Houston. Tipoff times, I am told, would also be the same.

I may have some of this wrong and please correct me if I am.

Whatta you guys think ? How does it work ? etc....

Burly Bear :D

John Wayne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:36 am 
Redshirt

no you got it right ... that is exactly how it is going to work ... for those of us who like to go to both men's and women's games it is better .... since there are fewer early or late starts .... but what it will do (in my opinion) is limit the "spillover" attendance you see at games .... what I mean is people who come to the men's game and say "I got nothing else to do" and stay for the women's ......

we will see how it goes this year though

www.goutamavs.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:18 pm 
All-Conference

This stinks a lot. Not a fan of it, but we'll see how it goes. What will be bad is there is ALWAYS going to be a basketball game at home. What about schools where we have softball and baseball? Game staffs are going to be stretched very thin as some sports have the same stat crew/PA announcers/broadcasters. I'm talking about the early part of the schedule, especially when your school is hosting a baseball and softball tournament (as SHSU is) and will have basketball going on during those weekends at home.

What a headache!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:31 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

for those of us outside listening or attending areas, you are also forced to listen to only 1 of the 2 teams play. Let's say this year playing in the GSC, both are teams are in the top tier, with our women making the D2 National Semifinals and losing to the National Champions in the final minute, we would only be able to listen to one of the broadcast of the games. That and I know UCA only has one announcer for both teams so obviously a choice would have to be made on which game Monty Rowell would cover on a given night. In the past Mr Rowell has always gone with the team playing the farthest from home, or in these cases, the visitng team each time. So again those of us outside listening or attending area would be left out of basically every home game.

Point about spillover crwowd, that was the ONLY way the men's team used to get people to watch when I was in school, but then again, they weren't very good either. Most people would show up early for the Sugar Bears, and leave after their game.

You also bring up the point of stretching staffs too thin. Our staff here at UCA, unless things have changed this year, are almost always stretched too thin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:26 am 
All-Conference

Media coverage is definitely an issue. Talked to the Huntsville newspaper. They said they'll cover home basketball games for both M and W, while only covering the M on the road, though I'm sure they'll call the W to get quotes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:26 am 
All-American

Bear Fan 101 wrote:
for those of us outside listening or attending areas, you are also forced to listen to only 1 of the 2 teams play. Let's say this year playing in the GSC, both are teams are in the top tier, with our women making the D2 National Semifinals and losing to the National Champions in the final minute, we would only be able to listen to one of the broadcast of the games. That and I know UCA only has one announcer for both teams so obviously a choice would have to be made on which game Monty Rowell would cover on a given night. In the past Mr Rowell has always gone with the team playing the farthest from home, or in these cases, the visitng team each time. So again those of us outside listening or attending area would be left out of basically every home game.

Point about spillover crwowd, that was the ONLY way the men's team used to get people to watch when I was in school, but then again, they weren't very good either. Most people would show up early for the Sugar Bears, and leave after their game.

You also bring up the point of stretching staffs too thin. Our staff here at UCA, unless things have changed this year, are almost always stretched too thin.

Talked to Monty Sunday night when he stopped at the Bucksnort General Store to gas up and the subject came up about basketball next year

He said he is looking at several possibilities involving the coverage of both teams beyond this year, but he wouldn't tell me what he had in mind.

He did say, however, that we had an advantage in that UCA has two radio stations. Bearfan, I would bet Monty is planning to do as many games as he is doing now. Probably will split the stations and put one game on KCON and the other KUCA.

It will be interesting to see what he comes up with.

John Wayne

Post subject: Re: Mirror Schedule
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:11 am 
Redshirt

The SunBelt Conference has done this for several years, and, it stinks! When our Men played UALR in LR, our women were playing the Lady Trojans in J'Boro. It hurt attendance for both teams.

ASU lead the SBC (and, even the UofA Ladybacks) in attendance last year, but, it could have been much more without those mirrow schedules. It also hurt us with the W. Kentucky University and Middle Tennessee State University games. Those are games that many of our fans go to.

I have heard that the SBC may make some adjustments this year. Hopefully the SLC will too.

Burly Bear wrote:
I am curious as to how the Southland fans that have come on to the board in recent days feel about the mirror schedule that they are using in basketball.

I had heard that the SLC is instituting the system this year.

For you that have not heard of this, I am told, for example, the days of double headers are gone in conference play. To continue the example, I am told that on a conference game night, UCA's men would be playing a home game against, lets say Sam Houston State while the Sugar Bears would be on the road at Sam Houston. Tipoff times, I am told, would also be the same.

I may have some of this wrong and please correct me if I am.

Whatta you guys think ? How does it work ? etc....