It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 2:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:18 pm 
UserName Retired

We had moments where there would be a nice play or two in a row, but then we'd give up something far too easy on the other end. The crowd even tried to get into the game a few times in the second half, but not long after Sam would shut everyone up.

It was a very disappointing second half after the first half play.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:13 am 
Team Captain

Not good tonight at all. Very disappointing. We can play much better. Not going to get easier on the road at Lamar.

Also here are the RPI's for men and women for the week of 2/11/08

Men: 302 out of 341: Previous week: 282 Southland rank: #12
Women: 318 out of 338: Previous week: 319 Southland rank: #9

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:10 am 
UserName Retired

I think we are jacking up too many 3-pointers. Seldom do we get the rebound when we miss, which seems to be quite often. I have been more impressed with our "in the paint" offense the past two games than our long shot weapons. I was commenting to someone at halftime how we were just "this far away" from being a very competitive team in the SLC and then we come out the second half and stink up the place.

Not to be getting down on the guys but I really felt like we would be doing better at this point in the season than what the last two games showed. Hopefully, consistency will be our friend for the remaining games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:37 am 
Practice Squad

Bears played poorly in the second half but we need to remember that for both the men and women we are still transitioning. Rand and Matt will continue the search for better players which will continue to be difficult when there is nothing to play for down the stretch or for two more years. Our fear is that Clint, Rand - two most capable coaches - and Matt - with promise - will look elsewhere.

Go Bears! Hang on fans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:13 pm 
Team Captain

To be successful at this level of DI, you have to have an adequate point, you need a good post player, you need an athletic body that can get to the rim and finish, and you need fundamentally sound basketball players that are willing to accept their role on the team. The players must respect each other and the coaches, egos must be set aside. Depending too much on transfers and jucos can really get you in a mess with discipline and attitudes. We only need one, maybe two stars, at most and the rest be disciplined basketball players who are team oriented and real college students. If the student athletes outnumber the future NBA dreamers, they have a chance to impact them and bring about oneness and team chemistry. If 10 of your 13 are just "hangin til I get to the league" (a myth coaches sometimes nurture) attitudes sour as minutes diminish, the coach is always "holding me back" and you see a lot of one on one and jacked threes. Coaching is a very tough way to make a living. We are fortunate to have good coaches. They need to be reaffirmed that they will be given the time to do it right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:35 pm 
Practice Squad

Honey Bear wrote:
Thanks to all of you that made the Alumni pizza party at halftime a success. About 70 people, plus kids, showed up. A big thanks to Larry's Pizza for sponsoring the event. Hope to make it an annual event.

Oh yeah, fed the band and cheerleaders with what was left over.Image

Hey, Thanks for the pizza!!! I thought about leaving the comment when it was brought over. It saved my life too, I was so hungry I was shaking and could barely play!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:24 pm 
UserName Retired

Glad to help. Wish it would have been more. Again, thanks for what you guys do. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:01 pm 
UserName Retired

Tough 2nd half for the Bears...hopefully they can turn things around soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:11 pm 
All-Conference

Very tough loss last night for the Bears. They had the lead at halftime, but when you have a good team like Sam Houston St. at your own gym, you have to give them your best ball. Had we done that we could of won the game. Huge road week this upcoming Lamar and McNesse will both be tough games. The shooting and defense need to be on point for both games in order to win on the road.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:36 am 
All-American

Honey Bear wrote:
Thanks to all of you that made the Alumni pizza party at halftime a success. About 70 people, plus kids, showed up. A big thanks to Larry's Pizza for sponsoring the event. Hope to make it an annual event.

Oh yeah, fed the band and cheerleaders with what was left over.Image

The Alumni event was a nice half-time occasion, I really enjoyed it. HB, did the secret escape route work?

When we switched to the north basket for the second half, it seems our game went south. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:39 am 
UserName Retired

PB&WC wrote:
HB, did the secret escape route work?

You bet! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:12 am 
UserName Retired

old bear wrote:
The players must respect each other and the coaches, egos must be set aside.

Someone had to say it...

Also noticed that Ryan Williams was not on the bench at all Saturday. He is still listed on the ucasports roster. Anyone know what's going on there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:39 am 
Two-Time All-American

This game was a very good example of where we are as a program.

We were competing against one of the top teir team, altough not the very best.

We have just enough spunk and tenacity to hang in there but we are simply one or two pure "basketball players" away from being able to generate enough offense to win these type games.

Give coach another year or two to recruit better pure players and get the transfer from Wichita St. eligible and I truly begin you will start to see us winning more games and scoring more points.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:57 am 
Team Captain

In answer to Trey's question, the player asked about was put on a plane back to LR during the road trip to Nichols State. I hate to see a young person miss on what might be his last opportunity, but he has had issues from his last day at Tulane to his first day at UCA. I hope he figures life out and gets it together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:08 am 
UserName Retired

old bear wrote:
In answer to Trey's question, the player asked about was put on a plane back to LR during the road trip to Nichols State. I hate to see a young person miss on what might be his last opportunity, but he has had issues from his last day at Tulane to his first day at UCA. I hope he figures life out and gets it together.

That is too bad for him. I hope that he is able to get things figured out for himself.