It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 3:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:13 am 
UserName Retired

This is just crazy. :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:45 am 
UserName Retired

I also think this is a bad move but we are the new kids on the block and until we make some waves in the SLC our insights on the situation probably aren't going to register too high on the SLC g.a.s. factor.

This was my main concern when joining the SLC about all the travelling that would be involved with teams that play during the week. Hopefully our athletes are good enough at the books to keep their heads above water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:41 am 
All-American

Honey Bear wrote:
I also think this is a bad move but we are the new kids on the block and until we make some waves in the SLC our insights on the situation probably aren't going to register too high on the SLC g.a.s. factor.

This was my main concern when joining the SLC about all the travelling that would be involved with teams that play during the week. Hopefully our athletes are good enough at the books to keep their heads above water.

I totally agree with you HB...however, I just wonder how long this has been batted around ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:55 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

King of the South wrote:
The move doesn't make a ton of sense for the league at all, as far as I can see, but is especially a royal pain in the ass for us given our distance from every other school in the conference. For many of the schools, a mid-week road game could mean a trip an hour or two down the road much like we used to have in the GSC. So whether the game is on a Wednesday or Thursday, from a travel standpoint, is of little consequence...

Thank you KOTS, for your long post summerizing what more than a few of us feel about this switch, but didnt feel like taking the time to actually type out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:08 am 
Two-Time All-American

Looks like this rule benefits half the league and really penalizes the other half. UCA will still be making long bus rides while other teams with shorter distances will end up with more preparation time than us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:53 pm 
All-American

UCAMonkey wrote:
Looks like this rule benefits half the league and really penalizes the other half. UCA will still be making long bus rides while other teams with shorter distances will end up with more preparation time than us.

I don't know if penalizing is the right term, but I think it will probably have more of an effect on us an Corpus Christi and anybody.

The thing that I really hate, is that the weekend swing trips where would could get two games in one trip is over. Starting next year, we will have to make separate trips.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:26 pm 
Team Captain

This is a great schedule if you are in a BCS conference. Why? One answer: Charter jets. All big conferences fly their teams on the day of the game and back that night. You only miss one day of school. We will now be missing Tuesday (most if not all) and Wed. And of course, I'm sure the kids will be real alert if they have an 8 or 9 a.m. class on Thursday.

I know in the Big 12 they take 2 charter jets, in some cases, for a basketball team to fly somewhere. We aren't talking a 737. It's two smaller corpoate jets. Now that's some expense. Remember the Ok. St. tragedy. The team was on several planes coming back from Colorado I believe.

It's just a hunch (ha ha!) but I doubt the Southland schools can afford to charter their baksetball teams on Wednesdays.

Post subject: SFA fan's view on it
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:51 am 
Redshirt

You know, even though the Southland is growing and getting more attention, trying to make it like the power conferences is ridiculous.

For us at SFA, we're being moved to the SLC East supposedly, so now we're going to have long road trips just like you guys at UCA, and that's going to affect the players mentally and physically. Instead of getting our normal road trips to TSU, UTSA in one swing, we'll have to see you guys, then someone like Southeastern or Nicholls State.

Hopefully neither one of our programs suffers too much.

By the way, I wasn't able to watch you guys play us last year, and I was very impressed with Nate Bowie. Too bad he's graduating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:34 am 
All-American

I liked them playing on Thursday nights. For people that follow high school basketball, it gave a day between the Tuesday night high school game and the Thursday night college game. Having a Thursday night college game and then a high school game on Friday doesn't bother me because I can sleep late Saturday to make up for it.

Post subject: Re: SFA fan's view on it
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:28 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

SFADustin wrote:
You know, even though the Southland is growing and getting more attention, trying to make it like the power conferences is ridiculous.

For us at SFA, we're being moved to the SLC East supposedly, so now we're going to have long road trips just like you guys at UCA, and that's going to affect the players mentally and physically. Instead of getting our normal road trips to TSU, UTSA in one swing, we'll have to see you guys, then someone like Southeastern or Nicholls State.

Hopefully neither one of our programs suffers too much.

By the way, I wasn't able to watch you guys play us last year, and I was very impressed with Nate Bowie. Too bad he's graduating.

You would still have to make long road trips whether or not you were in the East or the West. Nothing changes, the geography of the conference doesn't change one bit for you or anyone else, so I'm not sure what you mean by that. What will change for you is the fact that you will only play your hated rival Sam Houston only once (& UTA, UTSA, TAMCC, & TSU-SM) instead of twice. And some of the schools you normally play once you will play twice a home and home (us, NW State, SELA, Nicholls, & McNeese)

As far as the travel partner/2 trips in one deal, I think this whole Wednesday/Saturday split will affect that too. I dont think that will be the case anymore either, where you play @ UCA, and then @ NW State. You may play us on the road and then them at home, or the SLC may scrap that all together too. Who knows. IF they keep it the same, there will a TON of missed classes from the one or two schools isolated in geography, either that, or a ton more bus time in which you jsut go to class on a Thursday and pile back in on a Friday. Still a lot of questions tob e answered.

But welcome to our board! :D

Post subject: Re: SFA fan's view on it
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:45 am 
Team Captain

SFADustin wrote:
For us at SFA, we're being moved to the SLC East supposedly

This was an agreement reached between Lamar and SFA when the 2 sided 12 member conference was established. I know the first 2 years Lamar is in the east. Years 3 and 4, they switch with SFA. Not sure if the 2 year flip flop will continue for the next 4 year cycle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:00 am 
Redshirt

I honestly hope they move us back to the SLC west after this flip-flop and leave us there, or fix it to where we can still get a home and home vs Sam. I can't see a way they would do that one.

I understand how Lamar and us are in the middle geographically, but as a Jack fan, it sucks when you only get one game against your rival.

I hear that the SFA Hecklers are going to make the trip to Conway next season, just because they haven't been there yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:04 am 
Two-Time All-American

SFADustin wrote:
I honestly hope they move us back to the SLC west after this flip-flop and leave us there, or fix it to where we can still get a home and home vs Sam. I can't see a way they would do that one.

I understand how Lamar and us are in the middle geographically, but as a Jack fan, it sucks when you only get one game against your rival.

I hear that the SFA Hecklers are going to make the trip to Conway next season, just because they haven't been there yet.

Not against the rules to play a confercne foe in a non-conference game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:04 am 
UserName Retired

SFADustin wrote:

We'll be sure to alert the Purple Haze Army to be out in full force that night! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:22 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

yeah I will say it does kind of stink you lose your home and home with what might be the best rivalry in the SLC...Sam-SFA.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next