It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pre-Season Rankings
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:00 am 
UserName Retired

I know they really mean nothing, but once again UCA (both men and women) are unranked in the National Preseason Poll. I couldn't find the website, but you can go the the GSC webpage and read the season previews for both the Men and Women Teams of the GSC. I can see the guys being left out even though they did well last year they lost the majority of their starters, but have a good group left and it should be a good year. They are picked 2nd in the GSC West.
The women on the other hand should be ranked in the National Polls (HENDERSON IS #5). I don't know why UCA never gets respect at the beginning of the season, but I like what has been said to me many times before...win, and the polls will work themselves out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:27 am 
UserName Retired

You must have found something I can't find.

Where did you see this on the GSC site? Cause after I read this, I've searched all over for it.

I also looked at the polls that I've looked at in the past and none are updated since last season...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:38 am 
UserName Retired

Well, I found the women's poll in the Season Preview on the GSC women's BBall page. Here is a direct link to the pdf file. ( The poll is in the middle of the pdf file in a box.)
I have yet to find a site that has good Women's BBall coverage period.

I found the men's poll here. Hope this helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:43 am 
UserName Retired

I think you must have been the first to find that link. Either my cookies won't update or they've taken it down now.

The only thing I can think of is that poll listed is the Division II Bulletin Top 25. I don't even know what that means, but it sounds different than the usual USA TODAY/ESPN/WBCA Division II Top 25 Coaches' Poll.

But who knows. We lost a lot of offense from last years team, 50% of the scoring just from the seniors alone. Caronica may be the new Carone though... we'll have to wait and see.
The coaches think the race in the west between us and Henderson will determine the conference winner.

Good work finding the info...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:02 am 
Two-Time All-American

I don't worry about the Sugar Bears. They'll be fine.

It's ridiculous they aren't ranked, but that's to be expected. They weren't in the Top 25 until the NCAA regional last year, and at the Elite Eight they came in ranked in the mid teens, which might've been the lowest in the field.

And, we all saw what they did to No. 1 Shaw.

Rankings, especially preseason rankings, especially DII preseason rankings, aren't worth just a whole lot. There are 300+ schools you have to look at, and it's not like the information is just abundant to begin with. It's a crapshoot.

When the pollsters were looking for 25 teams to slap in there, they started with the teams who were good last year and probably looked to see what was coming back or whatever. They saw All-World Carone Harris gone, and two other rock solid senior starters gone, and saw a roster of only about five players – including one who rarely played and one who was injured. Basically they saw the Sugar Bears with three returners - and Victoria and Renita don't have stats that jump right off the page. Suddenly you're left with a one-woman team.

Those who know the team realize things aren't as dire as that sounds, but people voting aren't going to be taking the time to fully analyze the entire situation for a mess of teams. It's DII women's basketball.

It didn't stop them last year, and won't this year. If anything, it's fuel for their fire.

As for the guys, I wouldn't expect them to be ranked since they return even less than the Sugar Bears and weren't as wildly successful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:23 am 
UserName Retired

King of the South wrote:
As for the guys, I wouldn't expect them to be ranked since they return even less than the Sugar Bears and weren't as wildly successful.
Agreed. And you have to believe that the main reason they are 2nd in the GSC preseason poll is just simply because of Coach Chappell. There's no way anyone can know how this group will play together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:04 am 
All-American

Remember boys and girls, it's not the poll at the start of the season, but the one at the end of the year that counts.

Burly Bear :D

John Wayne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:47 pm 
Starter

Burly Bear wrote:
Remember boys and girls, it's not the poll at the start of the season, but the one at the end of the year that counts.

Burly Bear :D

AMEN!!!