It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sugar Bears Beat UALR
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:49 pm 
Redshirt

The Sugar Bears beat UALR tonight. Caronica scored 49 points. I'm not real sure what this means. UALR was without their starting point guard, Heather Morris, whom they didn't have last year due to an ACL injury. She was supposed to back this year. I've heard she is on some sort of discipline suspension. It's being kept pretty quiet. Take a look at what a guy on ASU's message board says about Caronica. http://www.arkst.com/board/index.php?s=536383d064b9d1cb3488b4f8947ae199&showtopic=21247&st=0&#entry278075 He says Caronica came to UCA because she didn't think she was good enough to play on ASU's level.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:55 pm 
Practice Squad

Don't get me wrong. That is what she thought. That isn't what the ASU people thought. Understand this has been a couple of years ago. This is from my memory, I could have her mixed up with someone else but, I don't believe so. She really is a good player. I remember watching her and hoping ASU would get her. I was very disappointed ASU didn't get her. How has she been doing overall?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:10 pm 
Redshirt

This will be pretty good bulletin board material for the Sugar Bears before they take on ASU. Somebody be sure Checola knows about this. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:14 pm 
Practice Squad

I guess if you can use her words as bulletin board material that will be fine. I know she's good enough. I'd take her in a heartbeat. I beat UALR would also. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:16 pm 
Practice Squad

Who else do you have on your team. I know about the Sample girl. What do have as post players?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:28 pm 
Two-Time All-American

The post area is probably the team's weakest spot. The starting 5 is oft-injured Shannon Oden, a good-sized 6-foot-1 girl with a bit of a mean streak and a decent outside shot, but lacking in the hops department. Victoria Richards, last year's 5 and the starting 4 this year, is real skinny and has razor-sharp elbows. She doesn't like to play with her back to the basket, and is at her best on turnaround jumpers on the baseline. Off the bench comes big 6-foot-3 Jamie Boone, a transfer from UAFS who can eat some space, throw people around, and all that other good stuff. She can actually post up and play back-to-the-basket, and she's got a pretty soft touch. She's also very foul prone. The other reserve post player is freshman Brittany Greer from Conway, who is fairly athletic and can block some shots.

It's the guards you have to watch for. Caronica is your classic G/F, swingman type of player. She'll take it to the hoop and mix it up in the paint no problem, or she can beat you from the outside. Her outside shot looks much improved from a year ago. Her versatility and ability to draw fouls is what allows her to go off for 49. That and she pretty much has the green light.

If you've never seen Renita Dobbins play, you're in for a treat. Hell, you're in for a treat even if you have seen her play. You might also be in for six turnovers, but she'll make you forget those.

Transfer Lauren Williams, who can run some point but starts at the 2, is real smooth and can drill it. She can also get after you on the other end.

I think that's enough for now.

And as for how Caronica has been doing overall, last year she averaged 20 points and 8 rebounds or so a game and was an All-American Honorable Mention, I believe. That came with being Scottie to Carone Harris' Michael. This year isn't going to exactly be KG and his band of misfits, but there is no doubt it's her show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:43 am 
Practice Squad

It sounds like it should be a good ballgame when you guys come to town. I'm looking forward to the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:17 pm 
Starter

I went to the game and it was great!! Caronica and all the girls played well. Caronica also beat the record of points in a game at UCA---which was held by Coach Seals!! It was 46 pts. It was an exciting game! We looked pretty good and UALR did too. It's going to be a great sugarbear year!! GO SUGARBEARS!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:02 pm 
Two-Time All-American

I heard by a very reliable source that she put up 49 points

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:13 pm 
All-Conference

The 49 points does not count for the school record due to the fact that it was an exhibition game, but still an amazing feat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:48 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

yeah even though it was an exhibition game vs Ualr, I suspect stAte Lady Indians will be a whole lot better than Ualr for our Sugarbears to play.

as a side, to keep with the football theme last week, and even though it was an exhibition affair... I'm glad the Checola led Sugarbears beat the $#it out of Foley, that ex-tech head man! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:04 am 
All-American

Bear Fan 101 wrote:
yeah even though it was an exhibition game vs Ualr, I suspect stAte Lady Indians will be a whole lot better than Ualr for our Sugarbears to play.

as a side, to keep with the football theme last week, and even though it was an exhibition affair... I'm glad the Checola led Sugarbears beat the $#it out of Foley, that ex-tech head man! :wink:

Amen brother..... :lol:

John Wayne