It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pouncy out for rest of the year
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:54 am 
UserName Retired

UCA basketball report

By Nick Walker

Pouncy’s season finished
CONWAY — Junior guard Mike Pouncy had seasonending surgery on his right foot Thursday. It was the same foot that he broke before the season.
“I don’t know you replace a Mike Pouncy, but you sort of have to develop a different personality as a team,” Coach Rand Chappell said.
Although team doctors said the rehabilitation is six to eight weeks, Chappell said he’d be surprised to see Pouncy back on the court before the end of the season.
Chappell said Pouncy was starting to become the team’s stopper on defense. He said that’s a role that junior Brooks Taylor, from Buffalo Island Central, is going to have to try and fill.
“We’ve been putting Brooks on the other team’s best offensive player, and he’s getting used to it,” Chappell said.
Pouncy, who has started nine games after transferring from Jacksonville (Texas) College, also was the team’s third-leading scorer, averaging 10.1 points and 23.5 minutes per game. Taylor is the fourthleading scorer at 9.0 points per game.
Shooter shooting
After an 0-for-7 three-point shooting performance against Stephen F. Austin, Central Arkansas guard Marcus Pillow is 5 for 25 from three-point range in his past four games.
Pillow owns school records for career three-pointers attempted (525) and made (173), and Coach Rand Chappell said Pillow’s reputation as an outside shooter might be hurting him this season.
“If you look at our team, you’d really only say that we only have one legitimate threepoint shooter,” Chappell said. “So that means other teams are really locking up on Marcus from the outside and hindering him from getting good looks.” Chappell said the solution to Pillow’s struggles is relatively simple. “We’ve just got to have other guys start hitting some shots to free him up,” Chappell said. For the season, Pillow is shooting 33.6 percent from three-point range (37 of 110).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:56 am 
UserName Retired

That sucks! I was afraid of that after he went down in the Haskell game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:21 am 
All-American

Once it was determined he was going to have to have surgery, I figured he was done for the year.

I wonder if a medical redshirt is a possibility ? Don't know what the rules allow on something like that. Comments ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:34 am 
UserName Retired

Here is a copy of what I found. Someone with a legal and/or mathmatics background can interpret it. :wink:

Medical Hardship Waiver
If a student-athlete suffers a season-ending injury or illness after competing in a limited amount of
competition during a particular academic year, he/she may qualify for a medical hardship waiver which
would allow him/her an additional season of competition during the five-year period of eligibility. To qualify
for a medical hardship:
• The student-athlete’s injury or illness must occur in one of the four seasons of intercollegiate
competition at any two-year or four-year collegiate institution or occur subsequent to the first day of
classes in the student-athlete's senior year in high school;
• The injury or illness must occur prior to the completion of the first half of the playing season that
concludes with the NCAA championship in that sport (measured by the number of scheduled contests
or dates of competition) and result in incapacity to compete for the remainder of that playing season;
and
• The injury or illness must occur when the student-athlete has not participated in more than two
contests or dates of competition (whichever is applicable to that sport) or 20 percent (whichever
number is greater) of the institution's scheduled or completed contests or dates of competition in his or
her sport.
Student-athletes should note that medical hardship waivers are not automatic and, therefore, the studentathlete
should consult with his/her head coach along with the Head Athletic Trainer and Assistant Athletic
Director for Compliance Services.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:43 am 
Two-Time All-American

Too bad for Mike..when I saw him play vs UNC-Greensboro he looked like a player who has the ability to spark a team and make things happen. Medical RS seems a long shot. Here's to a speedy and complete recovery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:26 am 
All-American

I think the medical redshirt, most likely, is a stretch, but Rand said Saturday during the pre-game that they were looking into it.