It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:52 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

joshuca wrote:
Attendance: 1,071...still disappointing.

It wont hold much more than that now...pretty full house last night

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:26 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Maybe it's disappointing for somebody just looking at a number on a box score from afar, but in person it was actually far from a disappointing crowd. It was actually quite encouraging. It was the loudest I remember the Farris Center being in some time and the majority of folks (students included) stayed the whole time and stayed into the game. Organized "defense" chants and everything. Might not have been a huge number of folks, but with the new setup it was a much more effective crowd and they were engaged. I'll take 500 people sitting together making noise over 2,000 spread out everywhere, sitting on their thumbs every single time.

It's unrealistic to expect 4,000 in there – particularly with the state of the program of late. But you can look around the country and outside of the big-time programs there are a lot of places drawing that size crowd.

What would be a realistic non-disappointing number to you? And is that number unconditional, or would you have different standards for early season, non-conference midweek games and for conference games?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:39 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

http://thecabin.net/interact/blog-post/david-mccollum/2009-11-17/new-farris

The new Farris
Submitted by David McCollum on Tue, 2009-11-17 10:16

UCA officials have probably done the best they can do to make the Farris Center, an almost impossible facility to make great and intimate for basketball, into a nicely intimate facility for basketball.

There is a vinyl curtain blocking the top areas of the stands on both sides. It has been reduced to about 1,800 seats for basketball with all the seats close to the court. That's as big as it needs to be for now.

The students have their own entrance and sections and some special promotions provides an element of fun. It's an event.

It has the feel of a vibrant basketball facility. That's major progress.

It's interesting how many college programs have discovered that smaller may be better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:46 pm 
UserName Retired

I guess this puts to rest any talk amongst whomever about us needing a new basketball facility anytime soon. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:37 pm 
UserName Retired

Beary Manilow wrote:
Maybe it's disappointing for somebody just looking at a number on a box score from afar, but in person it was actually far from a disappointing crowd. It was actually quite encouraging. It was the loudest I remember the Farris Center being in some time and the majority of folks (students included) stayed the whole time and stayed into the game. Organized "defense" chants and everything. Might not have been a huge number of folks, but with the new setup it was a much more effective crowd and they were engaged. I'll take 500 people sitting together making noise over 2,000 spread out everywhere, sitting on their thumbs every single time.

It's unrealistic to expect 4,000 in there – particularly with the state of the program of late. But you can look around the country and outside of the big-time programs there are a lot of places drawing that size crowd.

What would be a realistic non-disappointing number to you? And is that number unconditional, or would you have different standards for early season, non-conference midweek games and for conference games?

You are right..I see where the capacity is reduced to around 1,800...which I am sure 1,000 or so look alot better in that size space as opposed to a space that holds 5,000.
As far as your last question..I don't know what would be a non-disappointing number. I guess when I think about it...1,000+ really isn't that bad given the state of the program over the past few years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:19 pm 
UserName Retired

Bears can’t get over hump against Golden Eagles

Quote:
While the University of Central Arkansas Bears had a smooth slide at the foul line Monday, the Tennessee Tech Golden Eagles kept the incline steep in a wire-to-wire 71-67 victory at the Farris Center.

It was the opening game in ESPN’s multi-team Tipoff Classic, which will take the Bears to Lawrence, Kan., on Thursday.