It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 9:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: McCollum's Column
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:02 am 
UserName Retired

McCollum's Column: Bears go from new atmosphere to classic one

Quote:
It’s not the glamor basketball place of the universe, but University of Central Arkansas officials have done a nice job in giving the Farris Center a basketball-friendly makeover.

The new-look is probably the best they can do for an arena that was built more for an indoor graduation service than as a fan-friendly playing arena.

Basically, the spectator area for basketball are the lower seating areas and the high set of bleachers behind the south goals. The high parts of the arena are blocked off by large vinyl curtains.

At first, it appears you have entered a haunted house.

But you get used to it, and it adds electricity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:55 am 
UserName Retired

Quote:
electricity

I'm sure that is what is needed to help raise the spirit level but loud music is not necessarily the way to go. Many on the alumni side of the crowd were complaining about the loud noise. Before any of you get defensive of the student section, remember the alumni are the gate paying customers for all of these events on campus. Oh yeah, they are the major donors of these events to help keep them afloat also. Not sure we want to piss them off to where they would rather stay home than listen to too much loud noise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:57 am 
UserName Retired

Honey Bear wrote:
Quote:
electricity

I'm sure that is what is needed to help raise the spirit level but loud music is not necessarily the way to go. Many on the alumni side of the crowd were complaining about the loud noise. Before any of you get defensive of the student section, remember the alumni are the gate paying customers for all of these events on campus. Oh yeah, they are the major donors of these events to help keep them afloat also. Not sure we want to piss them off to where they would rather stay home than listen to too much loud noise.

I figured the DJ wouldn't go over too well with the older alumni, but it is only a few game per year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:39 am 
Two-Time All-American

Glad to see attendance over 1000 per game so far.....the Pippen posters looked nice when I was at FC earlier this fall...hope I can get to a game later and see what the other changes look like....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:05 pm 
All-American

With the loud music and the curtains holding the noise level in, it was almost unbearable. I'm bringing earplugs next time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:21 am 
Two-Time All-American

Plenty of questions out there for UCA basketball

Quote:
"The Sugar Bears may not be as far along as their 10-3 record would indicate on the surface.

The Bears could be a tad farther along than their generally unimpressive 6-8 mark."

Does anybody else who has seen the games get this feeling?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:08 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Beary Manilow wrote:
Plenty of questions out there for UCA basketball

Quote:
"The Sugar Bears may not be as far along as their 10-3 record would indicate on the surface.

The Bears could be a tad farther along than their generally unimpressive 6-8 mark."

Does anybody else who has seen the games get this feeling?

How are the women not farther along? They have been competitive in all of their games so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:39 pm 
Two-Time All-American

This is really Coach's first true recruiting class.......they made big strides from last year and 10-3 is a good start although some of the wins were against weak teams....still....they have played much better and have some meanignful wins.....the Easterrn Kentucky comeback on the road was notable....still, they have a ways to go to be at top tier of SLC as thy saw today......let's see how they respond to a pretty good whipping....my guess is they will have some fire in their eyes.....

As to Bears, the loss of Pouncy will be hard...I thought a couple of weeks ago they were finally beginning to get some rhythm when they were on the win streak....not sure I agree with the notion they are better than their record.....I think they have potential to be better.....