It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 5:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dreaming
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:32 pm 
UserName Retired

So I'm going to start dreaming about an opening for a new UCA men's basketball coach....
If such an opening came up, who would you want to fill it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:12 pm 
Team Captain

Russ Pennell or James Dickey are two that would come to mind if there was a coaching change, but I'll think of a different one later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:06 am 
Starter

Pennell is my choice. But I'm also open to Joe the Plumber, Victor E. Bear, and Debra Hale-Shelton -- they'd all do a much better job than Chappell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:23 am 
UserName Retired

Well, not DHS, I can hear the post game interview now, "Coach S, what went wrong?", "My players suck, they couldn't steal the ball, they couldn't dribble, they couldn't pass, they couldn't shoot, they couldn't comunicate, they couldn't dunk, they coudn't......" (you get the picture.) :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:52 am 
Team Captain

Beaumadine Louise Pusser wrote:
Pennell is my choice. But I'm also open to Joe the Plumber, Victor E. Bear, and Debra Hale-Shelton -- they'd all do a much better job than Chappell.

Ouch!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:51 pm 
Two-Time All-American

While some moan and groan about things I will just keep trying to support the Bears. My guess is that Coach wants the team to play well and win more than any of us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:18 am 
Two-Time All-American

Porter Moser

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:39 am 
Two-Time All-American

UCAMonkey wrote:
Porter Moser

I think that's exactly the kind of guy you need to stay away from.

A decent head coach, sure, but he's just another average coach in the middle of his career just sort of moving about. What's his real upside? He got UALR to 18 wins a couple times. Yay.

Not to say I wouldn't love to have 18 wins, but there's nothing about him that screams great success. Plus, with him already having been at UALR there's a certain bar for him already set around here and the constant comparisons wouldn't be great.

And how exciting a hire is that? A guy with a 105-101 career record who has bounced between a couple mid-major jobs before becoming an assistant at Saint Louis. Yippee.

What do you get out of him? In two, three years he's got you 17-12 maybe, then you get something between a 15-14 and 18-11, then probably a 10-19 thrown in there and you're just sort of treading water between 10 and 17 wins.

It's a safe pick – he's probably not going to completely suck – but the upside is minimal and the excitement factor is almost nonexistent. It's basically like we're taking UALR's scraps.

I think the way to go is a hungry, young guy with a ton of promise looking to work his way up. A guy you hope you're replacing in about 4-5 years, for the right reasons. Preferably one with some name recognition and/or a great lineage.

Either that or something like Bobby Knight or Nolan Richardson that'll just blow everybody's mind.

Post subject: new men's B-ball coach
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:18 am 
2nd Team

I think Chappell gets one more year, unless things get really ugly in conference play. Not that losing at home to an NAIA school wasn't ugly, but oh well.

I would take someone like Coach Daniel/Conque.

good, young, energetic coach that has been an asst at mid to high D1 school.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:13 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Beary Manilow wrote:
UCAMonkey wrote:
Porter Moser

I think that's exactly the kind of guy you need to stay away from.

A decent head coach, sure, but he's just another average coach in the middle of his career just sort of moving about. What's his real upside? He got UALR to 18 wins a couple times. Yay.

Not to say I wouldn't love to have 18 wins, but there's nothing about him that screams great success. Plus, with him already having been at UALR there's a certain bar for him already set around here and the constant comparisons wouldn't be great.

And how exciting a hire is that? A guy with a 105-101 career record who has bounced between a couple mid-major jobs before becoming an assistant at Saint Louis. Yippee.

What do you get out of him? In two, three years he's got you 17-12 maybe, then you get something between a 15-14 and 18-11, then probably a 10-19 thrown in there and you're just sort of treading water between 10 and 17 wins.

It's a safe pick – he's probably not going to completely suck – but the upside is minimal and the excitement factor is almost nonexistent. It's basically like we're taking UALR's scraps.

I think the way to go is a hungry, young guy with a ton of promise looking to work his way up. A guy you hope you're replacing in about 4-5 years, for the right reasons. Preferably one with some name recognition and/or a great lineage.

Either that or something like Bobby Knight or Nolan Richardson that'll just blow everybody's mind.

Moser turned around a UALR program that won 1 game the previous year. Was doing a pretty good job at Illinois State before they gave him the ax.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:32 pm 
Team Captain

Don't forget Scotty Pippin has said he's interested if you want name recognition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:21 pm 
All-American

What's Mike Newell doing these days?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:04 pm 
Two-Time All-American

James Dickey

also

HC at Drury.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:47 pm 
Two-Time All-American

WampusCats&PurpleBear wrote:

He is the HC at UA Monticello..I heard he was in line for the AD job when it is open

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:51 pm 
Two-Time All-American

UpandIn913 wrote:
WampusCats&PurpleBear wrote:

I heard he was in line for the AD job when it is open

That's weird. It was open just this past year and they gave it to Chris Ratcliff, the women's basketball coach.