It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:12 am 
UserName Retired

UCABEARS75 wrote:
You can recruit high school players to a campus like UCA to do well at the SLC (or Sun Belt level) we just have to find the right person to do it, like we have with the SUgar Bears.

So you are "saying we should" even though "that is Brad's job"?
I'm not being critical, just trying to figure out exactly how you feel. :P

Post subject: Re: Dreaming
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:48 am 
Team Captain

One big big problem is that we are NOT getting (I'm sure we are trying) high school players to come in as freshmen. You can't build a program on juco players. Juco players should be quick fixes, not long term growth plans. WBB did it with true freshmen. VB did as well. FB brings in tons of freshmen every year as well as jucos. MBB has had to rely too much on juco players and can't build from the bottom up. Maybe it's the nature of this conference, but I hope it doesn't have to be so with UCA.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:51 am 
UserName Retired

If the juco's were providing quick fixes though, I don't think this conversation would exist.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:01 pm 
Two-Time All-American

treyuca wrote:
UCABEARS75 wrote:
You can recruit high school players to a campus like UCA to do well at the SLC (or Sun Belt level) we just have to find the right person to do it, like we have with the SUgar Bears.

So you are "saying we should" even though "that is Brad's job"?
I'm not being critical, just trying to figure out exactly how you feel. :P

I admit I have mixed feelings.

I like Rand a lot and I know he can coach. I also think he has a very good staff.

He has won at every level he has coached up until our move to D-I. Obviously the transition period hurt us. When you look at what other schools have done during the transition process the results, overall, are not any better, if as good, as ours.

We seem to be just one player short every year. For example, I think Pouncy would have made a huge difference in our season this year, maybe 5 or 6 wins.

If you look at our roster, next year we could actually have a winning season, in particular if Pouncy comes back healthy.

Given the variables I know (proven coaching ability, returning roster, financial considerations) I would be inclined to give him one more year without adding to his contract and have specific goals for next year. These goals would obviously include number of wins but would also have some provions for signing some players this spring and next fall who fit our needs both in on court ability and off court (classroom etc.) ability.

That's my take which is worth exactly what you paid for it Trey.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:22 pm 
Team Captain

I agree with you 75, Rand is a good coach, good players, although to me it seems as if we have a lot of good "role players", and lack one difference maker, JUCO or freshmen he just isn't here. I still think if we did indeed change, you go towards an older proven coach who could right the ship for about 3 years. Someone who is well-known and could bring in that difference maker. Brady with ASU and Wimp Sanderson with UALR are good examples. I fthe change did happen, I could see James Dickey getting a look.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:04 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Dickey is coaching 8th grade basketball in Stillwater according to a friend...

Add Pouncy, get another player the talent level of Sheppard, add another year's experience for Poellnitz, Rehmel and Clayborn and get Dos Santos to be a little more productive on boards and there is the making of a pretty good SLC level team. Agreed we have to start getting more true freshmen so we can build the team chemistry. While the record is disappointing, I am not really down and out...they show sparks of fine play.