1. No center 2. no bench 3. no real offense 4. therefore no fans

Post subject: Re: same old ,same old
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:29 am 
UserName Retired

purplebruinfan wrote:
It's tough to watch our bears year after year with the same old problems
1. No center 2. no bench 3. no real offense 4. therefore no fans

You left out the most important element. First two guesses don't count. :wink:

Post subject: Education for those in need...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:56 pm 
Redshirt

I have read with some amusement the wide range of negative posts regarding the progress of the UCA Men's basketball program, as well as the harsh criticisms of Rand Chappell. Admittedly, I don't make it back to campus much, but I do follow the Bears, and from my perspective they, for the most part, have been competitive and had some very impressive wins.

Now, your tutorial for the day:

First, you have no idea how difficult the transition is from D-2 to D-1 in Men's basketball. In Men's D-1, the tournament is the deal. It is just nearly impossible to recruit quality players during the transition period. Second, and this stings for folks like us who worship the gridiron, but, in general, people just don't care about 1AA (or whatever it is called now) football. There is a distinct difference in the recruiting intensity between D-1 basketball and 1AA football. The explanation for this is simple: the allure of 1AA football post-season pales in comparison to that of March Madness. Therefore, on marginal mid-major kids, the best UCA can hope to recruit for both sports, right now, March Madness is a strong leverage tool working against UCA men's basketball. Also, helping Coach Conque, who IS a wonderful coach, transfers from 1A football to 1AA football do not have to sit out a year--this is a huge plus for UCA, especially when once considers its proximity to Southeastern Conference powerhouses.

Finally, the Southland may be a little stronger than you think. There is no doubt it is a better conference than the Ohio Valley, and many of this year's conference teams have had some remarkably strong games against outstanding competition. Of course, some may say look at the UCA women, but one has to admit the Southland is a notoriously weak women's league, which is not meant to take anything away from the great success the Sugar Bears are having. Some simple score comparisons confrim this obvious fact.

So, for all of the great former athletes and rocket scientists who share their disdain for Chappell on this website, I suggest you do a broad survey of other schools that have gone through the transition, and I think you will find that the UCA administration will give Chappell at least another year, which, in my opinion, he deserves. He has won at other levels; he will win here. For those with a theological bent, he and UCA basketball are suffering their fourth and final year of purgatory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:46 pm 
Redshirt

People amaze me when it comes to disrespect players no center Tadre one of the top rebounders in conference and avaeraging 12 a game....and another thing you want to see players compete at a high level come supportt instead of bashing them on here...players compete hard everyday I haven't seen uca get blasted at all this year all games they are capable of winning...I do agree coaching has something to do with it, but players play how the coaches want them to, not how they want to play. I wish people that talk so much noise knew basketball and not just a score on a score board, i know its easy to talk big talk on a keyboard but I know you guys will never face the players with what you say, how about you support them the rest of the year then talk about coaching changes at the end of the season, players do read this.

lastly PLAYERS PLAY HOW THE COACHES WANT THEM TO! THEY EXECUTE THE PLAYS THE COACH ASK THEM TO RUN! THINK ABOUT THAT THE SUGAR BEAR RUN AND GUN AND PLAY HARD AND WIN, THE BOY PLAY HALF COURT BALL. SO WHEN THAT CHANGES L'S WILL BECOME W'S WITHE SAME PLAYERS THEY HAVE ON THE ROSTER.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:32 pm 
Two-Time All-American

First, to Bear76...welcome to the board and thanks for following Bears basketball.

Second, no doubt lack of post-season play affects basketball recruiting much more than lack of a bowl game or playoff affects football. The transfer rule is also a help to FCS programs. With only a handful of players, there is little room for error, injury, etc. We all know of programs that spend lots more than we do on basketball and are fully eligible for post-season and still struggle. D1 basketball is brutally competitive.

Third, I have no doubt that if Mike Pouncy were not injured the Bears would have won several games they lost. He is a play maker and spark plug. Maybe they would be only about break even which is not what we (nor they) want but better.

Fourth, there is clearly some talent on the team based on what I have seen. Tre Sheppard has the body and basketball moves to be very good. He is 60% from field and 43% from 3 with 8 rebounds per game. Chris Poellnitz at times look solid but is inconsistent and still averages 11. Carlos Dos Santos at times shows great hands, makes some nice moves to the basket and shoots 47% from field . Mitch Rueter never gives up and fights for shots and rebounds; avgs 12 with 43% from field and 73% from FT.

Fifth, we do not have the pure shooter who can hit 40% from 3 and we do not have a dominating big man in the paint. That puts the offense in a tough position in having to crate shots on the drive when the defense knows what is coming. These are the two most sought after positions in basketball and there never will be too many. Sheppard and Ryan Daniels have averaged 40%+ this year but have only taken about 15 shots between them...maybe they need to shoot some more.

Sixth, of the main scorers, only Rueter is a senior (assuming Pouncy plays next year on medical redshirt).

Finally, I would be glad to speak face to face with the team and let them know I support them and encourage them to keep working hard and NEVER give up.

It will get better. No one wants that more than the Bears and Coach.

PS....Southland Men are usually pretty solid as a mid-major...normally 2-3 teams that can play well with many SEC and Big 12 teams.

Coach Matt plans to make Southland Women top notch....a few more years of recruiting and I think we will be surprised to see what SBs can do.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:44 pm 
Redshirt

I am happy that you would speak with them face to face, You do need to give players credit for coming to a school that can't even compete in there conference tournament! I really do think they will be able to compete with other schools in recruiting this year because now they are eligible....if they find a big man that can dominate the paint and actually get paint touches, be all uca teams have been strickly a pass round the perimeter and try to score in 5 seconds, so if they find someone to play along Tadre wow....a combination like that would be great in the Southland! Yes Pouncy is a warrior I wish he would have healed his whole juinor year so he could have been healthy this year, I know next year he will bounce back with a strong year....

Boss

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:59 pm 
Team Captain

to boss...............I've been a Bear fan since 1974,and I also walked on and played a little bit back then,so I do have some knowledge and history.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:20 pm 
Redshirt

like I said purplebruinfan...you dont know what your talking about basketball isn't the same as 1974...ok....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:25 pm 
Redshirt

ig they would run and play how all college teams do today they will win games with the roster they have now!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:42 pm 
Two-Time All-American

boss wrote:
like I said purplebruinfan...you dont know what your talking about basketball isn't the same as 1974...ok....

It's the same game...dribble the ball, set a screen, and shoot...a monkey could do it. The only difference is that they added the 3 point line. I'm pretty sure if someone has PLAYING knowledge of the sport they prob know what they are talking about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:10 pm 
Redshirt

well that the offense you see on the court and its not working basketball is different now more spread out the court more dribble drive, setting a screen and shooting ball yes but there is more into it....watch utsa or lamar play

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:55 am 
Two-Time All-American

When I was younger watching Bears in AIC, the game was about tight and smothering man defense, hitting free throws, minimizing turnovers, blocking out, rebounding and finding the open man.

Noen of that has changed.

What has changed is the 3 point shot and much more athlettic players..that means great shooters can really make quick difference and the speed element of the game. I get tired just watching Mike Anderson (UAB, Mizzou) teams play with all the trapping and up and down the court....they may not always win but they are interesting to watch and exciting....Nolan understood that you can have off night shooting from perimeter but you can always play hard on defense and create easy baskets off turnovers while wearing the other team down....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:01 pm 
Redshirt

I agree with you on that one....if you play that way you will always be capable of winning games..Mike anderson way is a great blueprint....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:00 am 
All-Conference

High marks for Bears...

Quote:
“(The Bears) have a bunch of new faces,” Bearkats head coach Bob Marlin said Friday. “Rueter is one of the best players in the conference. He is playing really well, having an all-conference type season. Tadre Sheppard could be the best athlete in our conference. He is a high-major athlete that blocks shots and is the top offensive rebounder in the league.

“They have 10 new guys, but they are more athletic than they were last season. They have lost some games that could have gone the other way, but they are going through some growing pains.”

http://www.itemonline.com/sports/local_ ... 03523.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:35 am 
UserName Retired

Some of that is probably true but most of it is coachspeak for the opponent. Even the coach of the best team in the nation has something nice to say about the worst team in the country.