It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Welcome Coach Williamson
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:39 am 
UserName Retired

I see where Corliss is a staff of 1. Heard that a staff was suppose to have been announced yestiddy. Anybody know anything. Would think recruiting would be at a high level right now.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:28 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Honey Bear wrote:
I see where Corliss is a staff of 1. Heard that a staff was suppose to have been announced yestiddy. Anybody know anything. Would think recruiting would be at a high level right now.

Recruiting his staff right now.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:19 pm 
Team Captain

WILLIAMSON HIRES TWO FOR STAFF

CONWAY, Ark. _ University of Central Arkansas men’s basketball coach Corliss Williamson has hired two assistant coaches, Jonathan Jackson and Anthony Walker, to partially fill out his first Bears’ coaching staff.

Jackson comes to UCA from Arkansas Baptist College, where he worked the previous three years alongside Williamson. Jackson played and coached at Philander Smith after a prep playing career at Hall High School in Little Rock. He was the head coach at Arkansas Baptist College when the Buffaloes won the United States Collegiate Athletic Association (USCAA) national championship in 2004 and was named the USCAA national coach of the year.

“I’ve had the opportunity to work with Coach Jackson the past three years at Arkansas Baptist,’ said Williamson, “and I know the kind of person he is. We have the same philosophy and work ethic and he knows what I expect from our players and this program. I felt like this was a great opportunity for myself and for our program to have someone like Coach Jackson come aboard.’

Jackson, who has also coached at Henderson State University, was a two-year letterman at point guard for Philander Smith and also played with the Arkansas Express, a touring exhibition team, for 10 years. He once scored 21 points in an exhibition game against the Williamson-led Arkansas Razorbacks in 1994, the season they went on to win the NCAA national championship.

“He will bring an intensity to our practices that I’m excited about,’ said Williamson, who was hired to lead the UCA program on March 12. “He was a point guard as a player so he’s definitely going to be able to help us in the areas of grooming and growing our point guard play. Coach Jackson is also a big defensive guy. He ran our defense for us at Arkansas Baptist. I trust him because he knows what I want from our defense, and he’ll make sure the players are getting the job done.’

Walker, who played collegiately at Hendrix College in Conway, comes to UCA from a four-year stint at Southern Arkansas in Magnolia. While at Hendrix, he was a member of the Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference Academic Honor Roll, was president of the Hendrix Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA) and was awarded the Carl Babcock Award in 2006 for character and leadership in athletics.

“Coach Walker came highly recommended from Coach (Eric) Bozeman at SAU,’ said Williamson. “He is a young guy who is really a workaholic. His interview alone was what really blew me away. His enthusiasm in wanting to be here and wanting to be in this community is unbelievable. He has a passion and a hunger for knowledge, to grow as a coach, and that was intriguing to me.’

Williamson said Walker will have varied duties on the staff, ranging from recruiting to scheduling to basketball camps.

“He really gained some great experience working with Coach Bozeman,’ he said. “He is someone who can help us develop players, can prepare scouting reports, can recruit. Those are all parts of this program that we’re going to have to pull together, and I think’s he’s the perfect fit for this staff.

“As far as recruiting, he’s young enough to get out there on the road, and he’s excited about that. That’s one of the points that really sold me on him, besides the on-court basketball knowledge. He wants to get out there and find players. He wants to get better at it and at the same time, make us better.

“I think he has the work ethic and the attitude and the personality that one day he will be a very good head coach somewhere.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:29 pm 
UserName Retired

Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:41 am 
UserName Retired

This is from an article in today's ADG:

For now, the Bears’ staff remains absent of NCAA Division I coaching experience. 8-[

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:32 am 
UserName Retired

Honey Bear wrote:
This is from an article in today's ADG:

For now, the Bears’ staff remains absent of NCAA Division I coaching experience. 8-[

Everyone has to start somewhere!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:43 am 
UserName Retired

True, but wouldn't you feel better if that wasn't the case?
The "for now" gives me a little hope that there's someone else coming (that they know who it is maybe) who does have some experience.

I was for starting over. But, this is almost starting from scratch. I had hoped for lots of experience coming from assistants, both from an Xs and Os standpoint and an administrative standpoint - the rules/how things work.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:43 pm 
UserName Retired

I am listening to Coach Williamson on the radio. He said is going to be hiring one more Assistant Coach, and this one will have DI experience.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:25 pm 
UserName Retired

Catching up on the coaching carousel
By Andy Katz
ESPN.com
Quote:
Central Arkansas
Out: Rand Chappell
In: Corliss Williamson

The move: Williamson was a huge name for Nolan Richardson's 1994 national champion Razorbacks, so this move was a big hit in the state of Arkansas. Scottie Pippen's alma mater will become a full-fledged Division I member this fall. Will success in the Southland Conference follow?

Important step: This is a classic case of brand name that wins the news conference and gives the school instant name recognition for the foreseeable future. Time to capitalize on it.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:20 pm 
UserName Retired

Williamson looks back at past, ahead toward future

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:11 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Quote:
Outside of winning Arkansas’ lone national championship in 1994, Williamson referenced to the 1993 game with Kentucky in Barnhill Arena his freshman year as being his most memorable moment in a Hogs uniform.

“I remember jumping up on the scorers table and waving an Arkansas flag,” Williamson said. “That’s when I knew how much this state loved and supported us.”

How awesome is that? Hopefully he'll get us to a spot where one of our kids can have the opportunity to get caught up in a moment like that. Do something to have a chance to wave a flag (other than a white one) ... seems like a hell of a goal.

There is one thing in that story I have trouble believing, though ...

Quote:
“I’ve been blessed to have been under some great coaches like Nolan Richardson, Larry Brown and Rick Alderman,” Williamson said.

I seriously doubt Corliss butchered his old coach's name like that.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 4:35 pm 
UserName Retired

Finley rounds out UCA staff

Quote:
niversity of Central Arkansas men’s basketball coach Corliss Williamson completed his coaching staff this week with the hiring of Clarence Finley as associate head coach.

Finley is well known around the central Arkansas area as a high school, college and AAU coach. He coached previously at Little Rock Parkview, Little Rock Hall and Little Rock Central, as well as served as an assistant under three different coaches at UALR.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 7:21 pm 
Two-Time All-American

What else do you call your main coach/mentor when he works for you? Glad to have Coach Finley on board as a Bear.