It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 11:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2nd Half of the GSC...How Do You Feel ?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:06 pm 
All-American

OK, boys and girls, the second half of the conference basketball season starts Monday with Christian Brothers in Conway.

As far as how I feel, I would have NEVER thought the mens team would be where they are. They are still in the hunt, but will they be there at the end ? With all of the close games they have played, I think they are going to have GREAT difficulty making the tournament. Hope I'm wrong.

The Sugar Bears are coming around. I hope that the good night in Magnolia will be just the needed spring board to dominating some tail in the second half, but can they get second half wins over Henderson and Delta ? I will go out on that ole limb and say yes on both counts.

Thoughts ?

Burly Bear :D

John Wayne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:18 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Well I always like to think high as far as bears sports are concerned but I just am not feeling any good vibes from this years guys or girls team. Honestly on both teams, neither team has a so called go to person. I mean last year the girls could constantly rely on Carone Harris and the guys could rely on Lamar Grimes. This year who is it? I mean on the girls team people could argue about Randle or Dobbins but I mean they aren't always there to step up. For the guys the closest would be Darryl Jones and still he's no clutch guy. Ok well I'm going to get off of my soapbox and just say that I don't think the guys will make the GSC tournment and girls will make it but the won't have what it takes to make it any further. Now granted I hope I am totally wrong but that's what i see as of right now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:01 pm 
All-American

UpandIn913 wrote:
Well I always like to think high as far as bears sports are concerned but I just am not feeling any good vibes from this years guys or girls team. Honestly on both teams, neither team has a so called go to person. I mean last year the girls could constantly rely on Carone Harris and the guys could rely on Lamar Grimes. This year who is it? I mean on the girls team people could argue about Randle or Dobbins but I mean they aren't always there to step up. For the guys the closest would be Darryl Jones and still he's no clutch guy. Ok well I'm going to get off of my soapbox and just say that I don't think the guys will make the GSC tournment and girls will make it but the won't have what it takes to make it any further. Now granted I hope I am totally wrong but that's what i see as of right now

When the ladies are hitting on all five cylinders, Randle is the hardest to handle.
I can't help but think, however, that Micaela may be just what this team needs down the stretch. The question is has she joined this team to late in the year to have an effect ? My gut tells me that she is ready when the bell rings.

I know she is in great physical shape. I wonder how long that takes to translate into basketball shape ?

Micaela could be the missing link to the ladies team.

Stay tuned.

John Wayne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:21 pm 
UserName Retired

Quote:

I totally agree. I think eventually she'll be another consistent scorer for the Sugar Bears. I thought the same immediately after her first game when she only scored four points. But only Randle, Piggee, and Greer scored more.

We beat CBU by 8 the first time, hopefully we'll continue the streak of beating teams by 19 and 20 points.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:16 pm 
All-American

treyuca wrote:
Quote:

I totally agree. I think eventually she'll be another consistent scorer for the Sugar Bears. I thought the same immediately after her first game when she only scored four points. But only Randle, Piggee, and Greer scored more.

We beat CBU by 8 the first time, hopefully we'll continue the streak of beating teams by 19 and 20 points.

IMHO, the thing about Micaela is , she is a leader. In so many ways, that is what the Sugar Bears have been missing this year.

John Wayne

Post subject: Re: 2nd Half of the GSC...How Do You Feel ?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:21 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

Burly Bear wrote:
As far as how I feel, I would have NEVER thought the mens team would be where they are. They are still in the hunt, but will they be there at the end ? With all of the close games they have played, I think they are going to have GREAT difficulty making the tournament. Hope I'm wrong.

The Sugar Bears are coming around. I hope that the good night in Magnolia will be just the needed spring board to dominating some tail in the second half, but can they get second half wins over Henderson and Delta ? I will go out on that ole limb and say yes on both counts.

I tend to agree with you on the guys side of things. They are 5-3 in the 1st half. Youcould say they are lucky to be there too. If you try to project out, it is hard to tell if they can stay the course and make it to the GSC Tournament. They played so many close games that could go either way, that even though they are 5-3 in GSC play, that record could easily be worse. The play their butts off, minus 2/3 of the game at SAU, so maybe they will contine to get some breaks and the bounces will fall their way enough to make the GSC Tournament. I will call this a successful year if they can pull off a bid to the GSC Tournament, much less win a game or 2 there.

I still think the Sugar Bears are going to be ok. I don't think they will have a problem getting into the GSC Tournament. They do seem to play up and down in some of the games, but I think this 2nd time around they should be fine. Micaela is getting her basketball feel back under her and should be a huge asset I too think they will likely win at least one, if not both of those Henderson-Delta matchups even though they are on the road. I think we are more talented than Henderson and better coached than both.