It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 6:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:11 pm 
Two-Time All-American

One correction, maybe I did not explain myself so well in my post above.

I did not mean to imply the team was "mailing it in". On the contrary, they play hard all the time. What I was attempting to say was they were not very good at clock management when either ahead or behind as they usually seem to be in a hurry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:03 pm 
All-American

joshuca wrote:
Bear Fan 101 wrote:
I know I trust her leading this program into the Division 1 level.

I couldn't agree with you more!

DITTO!!!

Burly Bear :D

John Wayne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:37 pm 
Two-Time All-American

You know, this is a discussion board. No one wants us to win move than I.

I hope I'm wrong because I like Coach Seals and I think our players do too.
But it is my opinion, and I am not a coach or a BB guru, that time will prove that she is in over her head.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:05 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Even if she were in over her head now (I don't think she is), over time you would expect her to get better and learn more with each passing year.

Most second-year head coaches aren't at their peak or anywhere close. If she's still a few years away from her prime, I think the future is pretty darn bright.

43-14 is a pretty darn good start to a head coaching career. She's young and still learning a few things, so she's not close to being the finished product. But what she is already is a lot better than what a lot of people have. Is she Pat Summit? No.

So what do you want? Do you want her run off and a replacement brought in? Or do you want to have a smidgen of patience and give her sufficient chance to prove herself one way or the other? I mean, I thought she proved her worth last year, but I can understand how that might not satisfy some people – ones who think "oh she did it with somebody else's players" or whatever, even though she's pretty much the one who brought them in.

I'm not sure on this one, but I get a feeling there's not just a whole lot of great, experienced head coaches beating down the door to come to a school in the Southland Conference that can't compete for a title until 2009 , work with a small budget and in a state with three higher-profile D-I teams with much nicer facilities? It's not the most attractive job around.

You're entitled to your opinion, I just don't see how you arrived at it and I sure don't agree with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:09 am 
All-Conference

I'm no genius, but when you lose as much talent and as many experieced players as the Sugar Bears did last year, it is going to be tough to pick up where you left off. If you would have said in the preseason that they would have been 15-7 at this point, most people would have taken that. Due to the circumstances, I think that Checola has done a tremendous job and I wouldn't count them out just yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:22 am 
Two-Time All-American

BigtimeBS wrote:
I'm no genius, but ...

Surely you jest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:51 am 
All-American

King of the South wrote:
Even if she were in over her head now (I don't think she is), over time you would expect her to get better and learn more with each passing year.

Most second-year head coaches aren't at their peak or anywhere close. If she's still a few years away from her prime, I think the future is pretty darn bright.

43-14 is a pretty darn good start to a head coaching career. She's young and still learning a few things, so she's not close to being the finished product. But what she is already is a lot better than what a lot of people have. Is she Pat Summit? No.

So what do you want? Do you want her run off and a replacement brought in? Or do you want to have a smidgen of patience and give her sufficient chance to prove herself one way or the other? I mean, I thought she proved her worth last year, but I can understand how that might not satisfy some people – ones who think "oh she did it with somebody else's players" or whatever, even though she's pretty much the one who brought them in.

I'm not sure on this one, but I get a feeling there's not just a whole lot of great, experienced head coaches beating down the door to come to a school in the Southland Conference that can't compete for a title until 2009 , work with a small budget and in a state with three higher-profile D-I teams with much nicer facilities? It's not the most attractive job around.

You're entitled to your opinion, I just don't see how you arrived at it and I sure don't agree with it.

Mark your calendars on this one boys and girls, I've got to side with King on all of the above points. One area I would like to give a slight correction on...she recruited all of the players that were on the team last year. At one points after hiring Checola, Ron Marvel turned all recruiting over to her. Marvel may have been the head coach, but Checola Sealed the deal.

Bad play on words, but I couldn't resist.

Burly Bear :D

John Wayne