It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I Love Coach Seals.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:35 am 
UserName Retired

In an article in this weeks Echo she is quoted as saying (at least I think she said it, the article doesn't specifically say, but it is after she was quoted saying something else.)
Quote:
“We’re the University of Central Arkansas – we expect to win everything.”
The quote is at the end of "The Road to Tupelo" article from The Echo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:17 pm 
All-Conference

Can you really take them seriously when they write a story over a video game?

Post subject: Re: I Love Coach Seals.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:35 pm 
All-American

joshuca wrote:
In an article in this weeks Echo she is quoted as saying (at least I think she said it, the article doesn't specifically say, but it is after she was quoted saying something else.)
Quote:
“We’re the University of Central Arkansas – we expect to win everything.”
The quote is at the end of "The Road to Tupelo" article from The Echo

Hey...you've got to love her....if she said it...she meant it.

Burly Bear :D

John Wayne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:38 pm 
UserName Retired

BigtimeBS wrote:

Well, somewhat, but ESPN does the same thing...they have already do this years NCAA Basketball tournament and I think Duke beat Texas for the championship.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:44 pm 
UserName Retired

Found it: Here is the story about the simulated NCAA Basketball championship from ESPN.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:49 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

I know I trust her leading this program into the Division 1 level.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:59 pm 
UserName Retired

Bear Fan 101 wrote:
I know I trust her leading this program into the Division 1 level.

I couldn't agree with you more!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:42 pm 
Two-Time All-American

BigtimeBS wrote:

Oddly enough, it's not meant to be taken seriously. It's a light-hearted, fun piece. Everything doesn't have to be serious, dull, and boring. If you can have fun, why not? The Worldwide Leader does it (heck, they even have a show dedicated to playing Madden), there are always features in multiple mediums of pros playing video games and video game simulations for major sporting events. ESPN's College GameDay had a piece this year on how video games and simulations are being used by college coaches.

So, really, it's not anything exclusive to The Echo. It's not the first time it's been done, nor is it the last. And it runs the gamut from college media to the largest media outlets in the nation. Scoff at The Echo if you want, but it's not vastly different than what you'll find at ESPN, FOX Sports, or whatever else.

(In addition to the link posted above, here's another: Fox Sports Bowl Predictions - using video games

Hard as it may be to believe, it's okay to stray from the norm and do something a little goofy every now and then. But then again, maybe that's just me ... and ESPN, and FOX Sports, and ...

Moving on to matters more important than Bobby's worthless criticism, about the Seals quote that started this thread:

joshuca wrote:

Just to clarify, it's her. It's all part of the same quote. If you notice, the quote isn't closed at the end of the first paragraph. When a quote is carried into another paragraph, you don't close the quote but have the quotations at the beginning of the next paragraph to show it's still being quoted.

Good quote though, huh? You've got to love that attitude.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:05 pm 
All-Conference

To just clarify things, my comment about the Echo was a joke. There are no hard feeling between myself or the Echoers, so all you drama causers chill out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:21 pm 
Two-Time All-American

LOL BS has spoken...I'm glad to see you have come back to the boards!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:20 am 
Two-Time All-American

Nice lady, can't coach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:31 am 
All-American

UCABEARS75 wrote:
Nice lady, can't coach.

Elaborate.....

Burly Bear :roll:

John Wayne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:39 am 
UserName Retired

I don't think it has anything to do with her coaching ability, I think that this was an internal problem with the team...I just don't feel like they are playing as a team like they have in the past. Like Monty kept saying last night the team was playing without any fire or heart!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:50 am 
Two-Time All-American

The team plays without very much discipline. Way too many turnovers, way too few passes, too much dribbling between the legs and behind the back, too many hurried shots without working the clock with the lead or acting like the game is almost over when behind and there is lots of time on the clock.

Team even plays out of control on defense which should be our strength with the quickness we have. Last night way too many easy lay-ups for Tech.

And it appears when the players do play "out of control" there are virtually no consequences for doing so.

By the way, I felt the same way last year too. Carone and company just had enough talent to overcome the lack of control or discipline, whatever you want to call it. In fact, when we really got rolling last year it appeared to me that the team simply coached themselves, which was OK for that team; but not this one.

I realize that Coach Seals is a very young head coach who achieved a great deal of success early in her career. I may be proven wrong but I do not believe she is really ready for a head coaching job at this level and the level we are moving to. She is a very nice young lady and I respect her a great deal as a person.

Just my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:14 pm 
Two-Time All-American

UCABEARS75 wrote:
The team plays without very much discipline. Way too many turnovers, way too few passes, too much dribbling between the legs and behind the back, too many hurried shots without working the clock with the lead or acting like the game is almost over when behind and there is lots of time on the clock.

It's funny you mention turnovers and way too few passes, since the Sugar Bears lead the conference in turnover margin (+5.05) and are fourth in assist to turnover ratio.

As for acting like the game is over, I guess you forget games like the first OBU and Tech games. Or the Henderson and Delta games that went down to the wire. That's not a sign of a team that just mails it in when the chips are down all the time.

Maybe you're just not a fan of the style of play, with all the behind the back and between the legs dribbling you seem to view as detrimental.

Anyway, the Sugar Bears have played like absolute crap the last two games, but I think it's too early to make sweeping generalizations about the coach's ability. If a coach can get her team within a single shot of a national championship without knowing what she's doing ... I think I'll settle for that.

More later. I've got to get lunch.