but I found this basketball signee.

shooting guard Samantha Dean

From what I hear, she is a player.

Burly Bear :D

John Wayne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:36 am 
All-Conference

UCA is going to be able to compete in WBB, atleast that's what I am thinking hearing about how everyone is behind your program and what kind of program you have.

A&M-CC is going to definitely compete in WBB and could be SLC champs in their first year. They're definitely going to shake some things up...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:10 pm 
UserName Retired

Just a question...does this mean that our teams are eligible for SLC Titles next year or does that still have to wait until 2009-2010 like the NCAA stuff, or are they one in the same?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:31 pm 
All-American

joshuca wrote:
Just a question...does this mean that our teams are eligible for SLC Titles next year or does that still have to wait until 2009-2010 like the NCAA stuff, or are they one in the same?

As I understand it, we will not be eligable till 2009/2010.

Someone jump in here and correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that to be correct.

John Wayne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:40 pm 
All-Conference

joshuca wrote:

Difference between you guys and A&M-CC is that they are already Div I, which I am sure you guys all know...

Can you compete for NCAA titles? I believe you can in all sports except football because of the complexity of it all. We've seen all those schools move up from Div II to Div I in BKB and compete for tournament titles/NCAA bids, right? New programs competing right away for SLC titles in baseball (SFA this year) and a few years ago (SHSU in soccer). Then again, we were Div I already. How can you turn away a track runner with a NCAA qualifying time?

Hmmm...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:48 am 
All-Conference

SLC football's future: The Southland Conference football title chase will continue to be played out between the same seven schools as last season for at least the next four seasons, despite Central Arkansas' entrance into the conference.

The Bears are expected to play a few conference teams in 2006. By 2007, they will start to play a full conference schedule. But because Central Arkansas is a Division II program making a transition to Division I, it will not be eligible for the SLC football title until 2010, SLC commissioner Tom Burnett said.

Central Arkansas also cannot be eligible for championships in other sports until the 2010-11 academic year.

Non-football playing Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, also joining the conference this summer, will be eligible for titles in all sports immediately because it already is in Division I.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:51 am 
All-American

TexasTerror wrote:
SLC football's future: The Southland Conference football title chase will continue to be played out between the same seven schools as last season for at least the next four seasons, despite Central Arkansas' entrance into the conference.

The Bears are expected to play a few conference teams in 2006. By 2007, they will start to play a full conference schedule. But because Central Arkansas is a Division II program making a transition to Division I, it will not be eligible for the SLC football title until 2010, SLC commissioner Tom Burnett said.

Central Arkansas also cannot be eligible for championships in other sports until the 2010-11 academic year.

Non-football playing Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, also joining the conference this summer, will be eligible for titles in all sports immediately because it already is in Division I.

Thanks for clearing that up....this is the one thing that I REALLY hate about the transition, but that is just part of it.

Burly Bear :)

John Wayne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:14 pm 
Two-Time All-American

That just really sucks but there is always a price to pay when you want to be bigger and better!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:34 pm 
All-American

UpandIn913 wrote:
That just really sucks but there is always a price to pay when you want to be bigger and better!

We had to go through the same thing when we moved up to Division II. It seemed like it took forever before we could compete for championships.

John Wayne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:39 pm 
Two-Time All-American

well I mean it just sucks for guys that come into the program and then that are basically playing for nothin! I mean I bet it is hard to recruit when you have to tell a player " Well we would really like you to come play for us BUT just know we will be competing to win games not championships"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:01 pm 
All-American

UpandIn913 wrote:
well I mean it just sucks for guys that come into the program and then that are basically playing for nothin! I mean I bet it is hard to recruit when you have to tell a player " Well we would really like you to come play for us BUT just know we will be competing to win games not championships"

It definately has an effect on recruiting. I can remember the transition to Division II, we did ok for the first couple of years in all sports and then the recruiting issue kicked in...it was/is tough to recover.

John Wayne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:49 am 
UserName Retired

more about Samantha Dean