It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Philander Smith
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:27 pm 
UserName Retired

Maybe Coach W will gently use some peer pressure on the guys that the ladies are whipping their behinds and the fans are getting rabid over the SBs, not the Bears.

Tennessee used to play to a sell out crowd every game (women) and an empty gym for men. No longer. My friends at UTK said it was just too embarrassing for the men to be doormats. Seeing the Seven is Heaven and Eight is Great tee-shirts around campus for the women's team is a daily reminder.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:06 am 
Practice Squad

Bear Fan 101 wrote:
to add to your last post DaBears, the Sugar Bears were also defeated in back-to-back seasons at home by Harding and UAM, the UAM loss in Matt's first season here. I post that just to give some more perspective that this has indeed happened on the Sugar Bears' side too.

Good point, Steve. Thanks for pointing that out. I think I must have suppressed that memory :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:52 am 
Two-Time All-American

The biggest down side for a D1 program losing to Philander Smith is that the rest of the reschedule is extremely tougher. The season outlook does not appear to be favorable. 3 games into the season and already in panic mode.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:30 am 
Two-Time All-American

Your points are valid about the Sugar Bears, but if we can get players and coaches to succeed at Football, Women's Basketball, Volleyball, baseball, & softball...why can't it happen for men's basketball. I understand that we are not very good, and the guys are trying to gel together but it is COMPLETELY inexcusable to lose a NAIA school. For gods sake, Conway HS could beat those guys.

It's just embarrassing...flat out, pure and simple. Nobody should be making excuses for them. You can't tell me Philander Smith is getting better recruits than UCA, isn't that why we went and got Corliss to coach the team?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:02 am 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

DaBears wrote:
Good point, Steve. Thanks for pointing that out. I think I must have suppressed that memory :lol:

Trust me, I tried to do the same!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:15 pm 
UserName Retired

Quote:
You can't tell me Philander Smith is getting better recruits than UCA, isn't that why we went and got Corliss to coach the team?

Could be that we are getting better recruits. Problem seems to be making a competitive team out of them. We went through the same scenario with the girls team before Coach Daniels was hired. Lack of coaching experience for this level of basketball seems to be our problem. Hiring favorite sons and daughters apparently doesn't seem to work in DI basketball - at least here at UCA.

No one expected world beaters at this point and time in CW's second year but there's not a soul out there that should settle for a loss to an NAIA team either.

Supporting nonproductive teams in jr. high and high school is tolerable because the kids are ours, our neighbors, our friends. We want the kids to win but more importantly we want them to enjoy themselves and mature together as a team. At the college level we expect them to win - regardless. They are the cream of the crop. Scholarships are evidence of that. In my opinion it is not wrong to expect something in return at this level. It's just the nature of the beast.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:18 am 
Two-Time All-American

+1 Honey Bear

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:40 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Honey Bear wrote:
Quote:
You can't tell me Philander Smith is getting better recruits than UCA, isn't that why we went and got Corliss to coach the team?

Could be that we are getting better recruits. Problem seems to be making a competitive team out of them. We went through the same scenario with the girls team before Coach Daniels was hired. Lack of coaching experience for this level of basketball seems to be our problem. Hiring favorite sons and daughters apparently doesn't seem to work in DI basketball - at least here at UCA.

No one expected world beaters at this point and time in CW's second year but there's not a soul out there that should settle for a loss to an NAIA team either.

Supporting nonproductive teams in jr. high and high school is tolerable because the kids are ours, our neighbors, our friends. We want the kids to win but more importantly we want them to enjoy themselves and mature together as a team. At the college level we expect them to win - regardless. They are the cream of the crop. Scholarships are evidence of that. In my opinion it is not wrong to expect something in return at this level. It's just the nature of the beast.

When you have to purchase a ticket to get in...the objective should be to win.