It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 11:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Game Attendance
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:11 pm 
Practice Squad

As a person who goes to about half the home games each year for many years, the powers-that-be need to do some serious talking about how to increase attendance. To be honest about it, the attendance at most games is flat out embarrassing. It has been that way for years though.

Some wondering thoughts:

1. The move to D1 should raise the bar in terms of prestige. That should help attendance some by the casual central Arkansas fan.

2. Need to bring in each year or at least on a home-and-home basis: UALR, A-State, and UAPB. They’ll help fill our place and we’ll help fill theirs.

3. Bringing in some other “name” D1 opponents will help.

4. FIND a way to get students there. 11,000 students NOT showing up can’t be wrong.

5. Most of the fans I see there go back to ASTC, if not Normal – need to attract some young folks.

6. I know the need to generate revenue is always a key, but I’d be careful about jacking up ticket prices too much. I was no business major, but I know there is only so much one can or will pay for a product. Not sure folks will pay $10+ a head to see Rhema Bible College.

7. More local players – I know you have to recruit who you think will help you win. But when folks look at the roster and see all these far off crazy places, there is less connection than if they had some kids who played high school in the state that they recognize. I suspect the move to D1 might help in this regard, or it might hurt in that we will have to get more juco players. I personally like looking at the women’s roster seeing places like Guy-Perkins, Conway, LR Parkview, Flippin, etc…

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:13 pm 
All-Conference

Good luck bringing in some "name" opponents...

Most SLC schools struggle in doing so. SHSU's most "name" opponent has been Southern Miss. Other than that in the last five years, looking at SWAC schools and Arkansas State. Of course, we're one of the toughest places to get a win...

I don't think other schools have been that successful outside of the SWAC, Sun Belt and maybe the C-USA, WAC and MWC (in the case of TCU, Houston, New Mexico and SMU, who have all visited SLC schools as of late)...

Post subject: Re: Game Attendance
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:35 pm 
All-American

Yogi wrote:
As a person who goes to about half the home games each year for many years, the powers-that-be need to do some serious talking about how to increase attendance. To be honest about it, the attendance at most games is flat out embarrassing. It has been that way for years though.

Some wondering thoughts:

1. The move to D1 should raise the bar in terms of prestige. That should help attendance some by the casual central Arkansas fan.

2. Need to bring in each year or at least on a home-and-home basis: UALR, A-State, and UAPB. They’ll help fill our place and we’ll help fill theirs.

3. Bringing in some other “name” D1 opponents will help.

4. FIND a way to get students there. 11,000 students NOT showing up can’t be wrong.

5. Most of the fans I see there go back to ASTC, if not Normal – need to attract some young folks.

6. I know the need to generate revenue is always a key, but I’d be careful about jacking up ticket prices too much. I was no business major, but I know there is only so much one can or will pay for a product. Not sure folks will pay $10+ a head to see Rhema Bible College.

7. More local players – I know you have to recruit who you think will help you win. But when folks look at the roster and see all these far off crazy places, there is less connection than if they had some kids who played high school in the state that they recognize. I suspect the move to D1 might help in this regard, or it might hurt in that we will have to get more juco players. I personally like looking at the women’s roster seeing places like Guy-Perkins, Conway, LR Parkview, Flippin, etc…

I will attempt to address each of your issues.

1. I think there might be some truth to that...I think that we will draw some more fans just from the standpoint of the school being D-1.

2. I know they want to do that, but it may be a couple of years or so before it happens. There are currently some talk, particularly in the womens circles, of putting ASU, UALR, UAPB AND UCA in a classic starting in 07 in Little Rock and then rotating it to the other schools over the years.

3. Bringing in other D-1 schools...my only response to that right now is, "Good Luck"!!, maybe that can happen in the future.

4. It was difficult to get students to attend games when I was a student there in the mid-70's. From what I can gather, it is a problem everywhere. I do not know the answer for this.

5. Very true about attracting the folks from the ASTC and Normal years. That is part of our problem now. The last I heard the average age of people living in Conway right now is around 28 years old. That's young!!!!. but the school is not doing a darn thing to get these people out to the games. They are spending all of their time and efforts going to Little Rock.
Don't get me wrong, Little Rock is important, but IMHO, we must try to get the locals out to the stadium and the Farris Center first.

6. Ticket prices is not a popular topic at the school right now. I suspect there will be more fallout from this.

7. Recruiting local players is all fine and good, but if they are not Division I caliber players, you've just about got to let them go unless they are somewhat exceptional. I suspect you will start seeing both programs recruiting more of Arkansas and the surrounding states. I think there will
always be an effort made to recruit local players, again, if they are D-I caliber. I think you will continue to see junior college players and high school players from around the state of Arkansas along with the states of Oklahoma, Texas, Louisana, Missouri, Tennessee and Mississippi.

Burly Bear

John Wayne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:06 am 
Redshirt

Burly you forgot to add the Great State of Kentucky as a "hotbed" of talent!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just ask Tubby Smith about the talent he lets go every year to other schools. On that note I have to get back to my moonshine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:38 am 
All-American

drunkenbear #3 wrote:
Burly you forgot to add the Great State of Kentucky as a "hotbed" of talent!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just ask Tubby Smith about the talent he lets go every year to other schools. On that note I have to get back to my moonshine.

Throw another stick of wood on the fire...don't let that Kentucky sour mash get cold.

forgive me my son, Tubby should be lined up before a firing squad. He deserves everything he gets.

Burly Bear :lol:

John Wayne