It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GREAT news for UCA Basketball
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:31 pm 
Starter

The Russellville connection has been serving UCA well. Nate Brown stepped in this fall at QB and was named Gulf South Freshman of the Year. Che Jones was recently timed as the fastest Bear this spring, running a 4.33. Linebacker Matt Kitchens is one of the top recruits in this spring's class.

And now, the Bears have went up I-40 and got a commitment from arguably the state's best basketball player of the class of 2006, and without question the state's best senior offensive player. His primary flaw by many 'experts' is that he's just a bit too short. Well....the same was said about Nate Robinson, Earl Boykins, and Allen Iverson.

I am absolutely ecstatic about this.

http://www.couriernews.com/story.asp?ID=11230

Quote:
Pillow ready to join UCA

By Mark Burke
Assistant Sports Editor

Staying close to home was an important factor for Marcus Pillow in his decision of where to play college basketball.

Now, the Russellville High School senior will have the opportunity to stay close to home and play NCAA Division I basketball. Pillow recently committed to play basketball at the University of Central Arkansas.

"It feels great to be going to play at UCA," Pillow said. "I wanted to stay close to home and close to my family and go somewhere I could compete with the top players and feel comfortable. It feels good knowing I'll be at the highest level in college basketball. I just see this as another level in my basketball career."

After being members of the Gulf South Conference since the 1990s and a long-time rival of Arkansas Tech, UCA will begin competing in the Southland Conference as it moves up to Division I beginning in the 2006-07 school year.

The transition from high school basketball to college ball is often a big move. However, is it too big of a move? Pillow doesn't think so.
"I've been in a tough conference at Russellville in the AAAAA West," Pillow said. "Every time you play, you know it's going to be tough. It's going to be tough playing Division I, too, but I think (high school basketball) has been a big help."

Pillow said he hopes now he can be of help on the court to the Bears. RHS boys coach Joe Sitkowski said he thinks the future is bright for his standout point guard.

"He's got a chance to be a very good college player," Sitkowski said. "He's one of the best players I've ever coached. He's not only a great scorer, but he's also a good leader. He wants to win in everything he does, and that's the main goal."

Pillow stood out not only at Russellville High School but in the AAAAA-West Conference as well. He led the league in scoring with 22 points per game. He also dished out five assists and grabbed three rebounds on his way to his second straight All-state award. Pillow will become the first RHS basketball player to play at the Division I level since Adrienne Bush, who is currently at the University of Arkansas.

But that wasn't much of an emphasis for Pillow during the season. He was more concerned about the success of the Cyclones.

"He put a lot of pressure on himself all year," Sitkowski said. "He didn't really concentrate on what college he was going to go to. He just wanted to help the team win."

Now that college basketball is the focus, Pillow already has goals. He also sees himself as someone who will be a big plus for the team.

"I hope to bring more fans to the games," Pillow said. "I hope to help the team do well and bring more fans from all over Arkansas as we work on bringing in championships.

"I think they're (UCA) getting an outstanding player that knows the game well and is a good leader. I'm looking forward to playing with people at a higher competition."

Before all that comes to fruition, there is some work left to do. However, the potential is there.

"He'll have to continue to improve in college and work on his weaknesses," Sitkowski said. "But, I think after four years of college you'll see a good college player. ... They're getting a heck of a player in Marcus. I think he'll be a great player for them."

Marcus Pillow
5'10", 22 ppg, 5 apg, 3 rpg, two-time All-State, two-time AAAAA West scoring champion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:51 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

that connection is stronger than you think Big Bear! It sure is great to hear that a kid like Pillow has a coach like Sitkowski to show him the way to Conway! :wink:

Anyone herr think Sitkowski has seen the inside of the Farris Center a few times before? :lol: You have a UCA Hall of Famer coaching up a future UCA Bear....that is certainly great news!

Keep up the recruiting news BigBear if you get it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:35 am 
Team Captain

Coaching at the middle school in RussVegas, I had the opportunity to watch Marcus play. Joe Sitkowski is a good family friend and a heckuva coach. Marcus will be a good addition and I think can contribute this year.

Philip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:49 am 
UserName Retired

Anymore word on how the search is going for more ball players?? Sounds like things are off to a very good start for the men!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:45 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

well you add Marcus Pillow with the kid from Oklahoma that Rand is very very high on, so I know we have at least 2 signees for this class, other than that I'm not sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:54 pm 
UserName Retired

It's official:

UCA SIGNS FIRST DIVISION I CLASS
CONWAY, Ark. _ The University of Central Arkansas Bears signed their first NCAA Division I basketball class on Wednesday, adding Russellville's Marcus Pillow and former Hot Springs High School standout Durrell Nevels.

SIGNEES:
Drew Haymaker C 6-8 240 Edmond, OK (Santa Fe HS)
Payne Harding G 6-2 185 Little Rock, AR (Pulaski Academy)
Durrell Nevels F 6-6 205 Hot Springs, AR (Three Rivers CC)
Marcus Pillow G 5-11 170 Russellville, AR (Russellville HS)

Link

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:18 pm 
UserName Retired

Sounds like a great start to our Division I era! Just to show my stupidity, I know that bball classes are usually pretty small but 4? Is that all that we will be able to sign for the season or is this just the first batch, and maybe we will add a few more later on or is signing period over and done?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:49 am 
UserName Retired

I think four is actually a pretty big class for basketball.

Since there is a limit of 13 scholarships for four years-athletes (when was the last time we actually had a player stay from freshman to senior by the way?), that's about 3.25 per year.

The thing that concerns me most about this group is that, although Haymaker is listed as a center, he's still just 6'8". I know Glen Davis is only 6'9", but he's an exception to the rule. The Bears lacked a consistent inside game last year, and unless Haymaker plays like Big Baby right away, I don't know where they are going to get it next year either.

Post subject: Indiana Recruit?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:58 am 
Two-Time All-American

I heard a rumor we are also going to sign a shooter out of Indiana.

Jimmy Chitwood - Hickory High - Overall State Champs :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:34 pm 
All-Conference

treyuca wrote:
I think four is actually a pretty big class for basketball.

Your right. This isn't Texas or other big name schools where they lose a few to graduation and NBA each year where they need to load up on huge classes. Remember, the rule has been waived where you stuck to a certain amount of scholarships over a two year period.

treyuca wrote:
The thing that concerns me most about this group is that, although Haymaker is listed as a center, he's still just 6'8". I know Glen Davis is only 6'9", but he's an exception to the rule. The Bears lacked a consistent inside game last year, and unless Haymaker plays like Big Baby right away, I don't know where they are going to get it next year either.

SLC is not known for having legitimate big-men. Outside of SHSU's Eddy Fobbs (6'11) and SELA's Nate Lofton (6'10), in the past five years, there really have not been any big men that have been a dominant force as one would expect a big man to be. If you have a 6'9" big man that can work the glass, that's as good as it'll get...

SHSU just signed an odd-ball. A 6'10 guy who can shoot from outside out of Lithuania. We'll see how this works out. May be interesting to say the least! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:03 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

http://www.thecabin.net/stories/041406/spo_0414060027.shtml
-Chappell and staff learning nuances of D-I recruiting-

After announcing probably half of the University of Central Arkansas' first men's NCAA Division I recruiting class, coach Rand Chappell admits to a learning curve for his staff.

"We're still figuring out what are the prime areas we are able to recruit," he said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:02 pm 
UserName Retired

HALF!!!???!!!

So we're going to be signing 8 players? Some of those MUST be transfers - like last year - or we could be LOSING eight players at one time in the future. I didn't read the sotry, so I could be misinterpreting... but I'm out of time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:24 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Well, you look at last year's roster and see that there are plenty of spots open automatically:

1. Darryl Jones
2. Stephin Booth
3. Alexei Korolev
4. Brandon Lipsey
5. Scott Martin
6. Chad Wise

Then factor in your scholarship limit goes up to 13 from 10 and that probably opens you up some space. And then there's always the possibility of defections.

13 scholarships ...

1. Harding
2. Haymaker
3. Nevels
4. Pillow
5. Cortez
6. Phillips
7. Fernando
8. Bruner
9. Campbell
10. Reuter
11. Cannon
12. Cranford
13. Silverman

So it looks like they're full right now and wouldn't have room to add any more, much less four more, so there's still some shuffling to be done unless there was some misunderstanding in the "probably half" stuff.

You would assume all four newcomers are going to be scholarship guys, but I guess there's the possibility that Payne's family might be able to scrape up the cash to pay his own way. That would get you to 12 and allow for one more signee.

Maybe a couple of this year's redshirts won't be back or aren't scholarship guys to begin with? I'm not real sure how they have that worked out. Maybe somebody's homesick and won't be back or maybe Chappell got tired of one of his guys getting his name in the police blotter every third week and said sayonara ... although I doubt that.

I know the elder Cranford has been a non-scholarship guy at UA and used an academic scholarship to fund his way, maybe the younger one has a similar setup at UCA ... that frees you another one up.

With Chappell's teams, though, you never know what to expect until a few weeks into the season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:54 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Future Bear likes drugs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 12:57 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

well that's positive right there! :roll: