It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 10:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chappell: Out Promoting Bears
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:58 pm 
All-Conference

Chappell is out and about making sure everyone knows UCA is going to be Div I this year and they are ready to compete with the "big boys". Note to writer, there's no 'I-A' basketball, it's all Div I...

Moving on up Central Arkansas coach Rand Chappell was hard to miss Saturday, even as Kentucky coach Tubby Smith and Georgia’s Dennis Felton drew most of the attention outside Bud Walton Arena’s north entrance. Chappell stood on the grass with his bright purple shirt, mingling with some UA-Fort Smith coaches after taking in some basketball at the Real Deal on the Hill Tournament. Chappell is trying to get the word out that UCA is now a Division 1-A school. The Bears accepted an invitation to join the Southland Conference last September and will become a league member in June. However, the Bears can’t compete for national championships until 2009." It’s really an exciting time for us and our whole community, "Chappell said." Over time, we think we will be able to compete and have a good program. "Central Arkansas, which was an NAIA school until 1993, had been a Division II school since then. Now, Chappell is trying let recruits know that the Bears are playing with the big boys." We’re being a lot more involved with high school kids, "he said." We’re just trying to be a presence at these kind of events and getting on the phone and letting coaches know. I think word starts to spread quickly especially if you have a little bit of success. "

http://nwanews.com/nwat/Sports/39643/

Post subject: Re: Chappell: Out Promoting Bears
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:53 pm 
All-American

TexasTerror wrote:
Chappell is out and about making sure everyone knows UCA is going to be Div I this year and they are ready to compete with the "big boys". Note to writer, there's no 'I-A' basketball, it's all Div I...

Moving on up Central Arkansas coach Rand Chappell was hard to miss Saturday, even as Kentucky coach Tubby Smith and Georgia’s Dennis Felton drew most of the attention outside Bud Walton Arena’s north entrance. Chappell stood on the grass with his bright purple shirt, mingling with some UA-Fort Smith coaches after taking in some basketball at the Real Deal on the Hill Tournament. Chappell is trying to get the word out that UCA is now a Division 1-A school. The Bears accepted an invitation to join the Southland Conference last September and will become a league member in June. However, the Bears can’t compete for national championships until 2009." It’s really an exciting time for us and our whole community, "Chappell said." Over time, we think we will be able to compete and have a good program. "Central Arkansas, which was an NAIA school until 1993, had been a Division II school since then. Now, Chappell is trying let recruits know that the Bears are playing with the big boys." We’re being a lot more involved with high school kids, "he said." We’re just trying to be a presence at these kind of events and getting on the phone and letting coaches know. I think word starts to spread quickly especially if you have a little bit of success. "

http://nwanews.com/nwat/Sports/39643/

Good for Rand...at least he is out beating the bushes.

I am so glad he is putting an emphasis on high school players.

Burly Bear :D

John Wayne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:11 am 
UserName Retired

Didn't make it to Fayetteville for the Real Deal tourney, but I did see Coach Landers at the Rockin' in the Rock tournament on Saturday. Sounds like our coaches were putting in some good work over the weekend.

There were a couple of players in LR that I certainly wouldn't mind becoming Bears, unfortunately the $3 programs were only 45% accurate and 35% complete. But enough about that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:48 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

http://www.thecabin.net/stories/041506/spo_0415060036.shtml
Work in progress...

The University of Central Arkansas men's basketball schedule for next season is in a state of flux but expect the Bears to play some fairly commonly known "mid-majors" their first year in NCAA Division I - on the road, of course.

It's the food chain. The "mid-majors," who have to play several conference games on the home court of teams from major conferences for money and RPI points, are more than happy to have a fledgling D-I program come to their place.

A matchup with Gonzaga was close. Speculation among some UCA officials is that a matchup between the Zags and the Bears will probably come about in the next two or three years, but it is not likely to be put together for next season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:46 pm 
UserName Retired

Quote:
A matchup with Gonzaga was close. Speculation among some UCA officials is that a matchup between the Zags and the Bears will probably come about in the next two or three years, but it is not likely to be put together for next season.
WOW! That would be one heck of a trip out West!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:54 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

if that ever happens, get the checkbook and wallets out and take a nice Pacific Northwest tour/vacation...