It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Volleyball signing
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:59 pm 
UserName Retired

Universities sign two Rebels
Oklahoma, Central Arkansas snatch local volleyball talent

Quote:
Moving on to new challenges is part of growing up and developing as an athlete.

On Monday, Tascosa seniors Cristin Curl and Caitlin Higgins signed volleyball scholarships with the University of Central Arkansas and the University of Oklahoma, respectively.

"These two kids have been great ever since I came into this program," Tascosa coach Scott Sandel said. "They're two of the hardest workers on the team, they're great students, and they are also our best volleyball players. Anytime you have good quality kids with the character they have, you're glad to see them go on to the next level."

Curl, a setter for the Lady Rebels, will be making a position change at the college level as the Lady Bears are planning to have the 5-foot-8 senior to focus on defense as the team's libero.

"I'm excited about the change. I love defense and it's my favorite part of the game," Curl said. "But this is such a great experience and I can't believe it's happened already and that I'm going to be going to college to play a sport that I love so much."

As a setter adjusting to the libero position, Curl will have her work cut out. But the toughest thing may be dealing with the differences in the college game verses the high school game, despite the high quality of play in the Amarillo area.

"I think the biggest difference will be the power of the hitters we will face," Curl said.

Sandel feels the transition will come naturally for Curl.

"She'll play mostly in that libero role and I think that's where she will excel as a volleyball player," he said. "She's very tenacious, plays great defense and has no respect for her body so she'll give it her all when diving for a ball."

Central Arkansas finished its season 24-9 and fifth in the Southland Conference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:26 pm 
UserName Retired

Appears to be a good addition to the team. As much as volleyball is discussed on this forum I am going to have to add it to my list of "new things to do" next season. Reckon they would care if we tailgate before the game? \:D/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:41 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Quote:
I think the biggest difference will be the power of the hitters we will face,"

Based on what I saw at the SELA match, I could certainly agree the power is there.....

Quote:
Reckon they would care if we tailgate before the game?

Very fitting...

By the way, Cristin, welcome to UCA and The SugarBears!!

GoSugarBears!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:25 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

http://www.ucasports.com/sport.asp?action=news&sportid=4&article=2215

UCA VOLLEYBALL SIGNS THREE
VOLLEYBALL • Nov 27, 2007

CONWAY, Ark- University of Central Arkansas head volleyball coach Steven McRoberts has signed three student-athletes in the early signing period for the 2008 season. Cristin Curl and Ashley Pylant of Amarillo, Texas and Jessica Hays of Friendswood, Texas will join the Sugar Bears in the fall.

"I am really excited about this class of players," McRoberts said. "Each one of them brings a special skill and mentality to this team. They could all play for us right now. We will have some battles for position come this fall. All of these players have a great work ethic and love the game of volleyball. They will mix nicely with the players we have coming back. In two years, I see these players being the cornerstone of a conference championship team."...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:19 am 
UserName Retired

AHS' Pylant excels on, off the court
Quote:
Amarillo High reached the summit of Texas high school volleyball again this season, winning the Class 5A state championship for the second straight year.

One of the leaders on the front line for the Lady Sandies was Ashley Pylant, the Happy State Bank Scholar-Athlete of the Month for November.

Pylant, a 6-foot middle blocker, was a constant threat at the net all year, and played a key role in the Lady Sandies' postseason run, particularly in the regional semifinals and finals where she collected a team-high 22 kills to help her team return to the state tournament in San Marcos.

"Ashley has been a great player for the Sandies for three years. Ever since she became a starter for us and took that role as a middle blocker, she's been one of the most consistent hitters we've had here," AHS coach Jan Barker said.

"She's been a fantastic strength for us: hitting, blocking and serving, and just her all-around presence on the court."

Pylant, a senior whose favorite subject is math, is ranked 44th in her class and has compiled a 97.25 grade-point average, despite the time and effort she devotes to volleyball.

"It's definitely hard to balance out volleyball and school because volleyball requires so much time," Pylant said. "You just have to be disciplined and do a good job with time management."

Next season, Pylant will be heading east to Conway, Ark., where she will suit up for the Lady Bears at the University of Central Arkansas, which finished 24-9 and fifth in the Southland Conference this season.

"Every player dreams of going to college and playing at the next level," Pylant said. "I went there and fell in love with the school, and the coaches are amazing. It's a good academic school and the team has a really good team GPA."

At UCA, Pylant plans on majoring in business and hopes to be a corporate attorney in the future.

"I wanted to do engineering for a long time," Pylant said. "But then I decided corporate law would be interesting because I enjoy problem-solving, so I thought that might be a good career."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:41 pm 
Team Captain

Welcome Ashley. We are glad you will be a Sugar Bear!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:51 pm 
UserName Retired

Welcome! But what kind of GPA is 97.25? She must be really smart b/c mine was less than 4! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:05 pm 
UserName Retired

joshuca wrote:
She must be really smart b/c mine was less than 4! :lol:

Dummy :?: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:04 pm 
UserName Retired

Honey Bear wrote:
joshuca wrote:
She must be really smart b/c mine was less than 4! :lol: