It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2008 Southland Conference Volleyball Teams
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:02 pm 
UserName Retired

UCA claimed four of the six individual awards!

Chloe Smith named player of the year
Robyn Smith named setter of the year
Coach Mc named coach of the year
Jessica Hays named freshman of the year
Quote:
Chloe Smith is the first UCA player of the year, Texas State leads with three first-team selections.

FRISCO, Texas – Central Arkansas sophomore middle blocker Chloe Smith was named the 2008 Southland Conference Volleyball Player of the Year by a vote of the league’s head coaches and sports information directors, the league office announced Tuesday in conjunction with the release of the all-conference volleyball teams.

A native of San Diego, Calif., Smith led the Sugar Bears to a first-place finish in the East Division and the best conference record (12-4) since joining the Southland in 2006. Smith led Central Arkansas in total kills (326) and blocks (69). In conference, she ranked sixth in hitting percentage (.302), third in kills (3.29) and second in service aces per set (0.45).

Central Arkansas claimed four-of-the six individual awards given by the Southland Conference. Joining Smith on the awards list are teammates Jessica Hays, who was named the freshman of the year, Robyn Smith, who was named setter of the year; and coach Steven McRoberts, who received the Katrinka Jo Crawford Coach of the Year award.

Since joining the Southland in 2006, Central Arkansas has claimed the freshman of the year award each season. Hays joins current Sugar Bears Robyn Smith and Chloe Smith who won the award in 2006 and 2007 respectively. The Friendswood, Texas, native leads all freshmen with a 3.03 kills average, ranking seventh in conference, while her 0.46 service aces mark leads the conference.

Robyn Smith is the first setter of the year in UCA history. A 2007 first-team selection, she makes a return appearance to the first-team earning the distinction as the first player in school history to receive consecutive first-team honors. Robyn Smith led the league for the second straight season in assists topping the 1,000 mark both years with 1,387 in 2007 and 1,093 in 2008. Her 11.04 assists average stands as the only mark over 11 in conference this season.

In four seasons as head coach of the Sugar Bears Steven McRoberts has amassed 87 wins and led UCA to a first-place finish in the East Division, garnering coach of the honors. Each season, McRoberts and Central Arkansas have qualified for the conference tournament. However, because of its reclassifying transition from NCAA Division II to Division I, the Sugar Bears are ineligible for postseason play until the 2010 season.

First Team
Chloe Smith MB So. San Diego, Calif./Acad. of Our Lady of Peace
Robyn Smith S Jr. Lubbock, Texas/Coronado

Honorable Mention: Jessica Hays, UCA;

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:08 pm 
UserName Retired

WOW!! Awesome job!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:10 pm 
UserName Retired

Quote:
Since joining the Southland in 2006, Central Arkansas has claimed the freshman of the year award each season. Hays joins current Sugar Bears Robyn Smith and Chloe Smith who won the award in 2006 and 2007 respectively. The Friendswood, Texas, native leads all freshmen with a 3.03 kills average, ranking seventh in conference, while her 0.46 service aces mark leads the conference.

Talk about recruiting!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:22 pm 
Team Captain

These girls are great. I love UCA Volleyball and it shows why. The great thing is, they are just going to continue to get better even though our seniors will be missed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:19 pm 
UserName Retired

Pretty impressive stuff. Too bad the paperwork got screwed up or the girls would be eligible for postseason play next year. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:24 pm 
Two-Time All-American

when you say "screwed up" do you mean it accidentally had women's soccer filled in instead of volleyball?

Post subject: Re: 2008 Southland Conference Volleyball Teams
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:28 pm 
Two-Time All-American

treyuca wrote:
UCA claimed four of the six individual awards!

Chloe Smith named player of the year
Robyn Smith named setter of the year
Coach Mc named coach of the year
Jessica Hays named freshman of the year
Quote:
Chloe Smith is the first UCA player of the year, Texas State leads with three first-team selections.

FRISCO, Texas – Central Arkansas sophomore middle blocker Chloe Smith was named the 2008 Southland Conference Volleyball Player of the Year by a vote of the league’s head coaches and sports information directors, the league office announced Tuesday in conjunction with the release of the all-conference volleyball teams.

A native of San Diego, Calif., Smith led the Sugar Bears to a first-place finish in the East Division and the best conference record (12-4) since joining the Southland in 2006. Smith led Central Arkansas in total kills (326) and blocks (69). In conference, she ranked sixth in hitting percentage (.302), third in kills (3.29) and second in service aces per set (0.45).

Central Arkansas claimed four-of-the six individual awards given by the Southland Conference. Joining Smith on the awards list are teammates Jessica Hays, who was named the freshman of the year, Robyn Smith, who was named setter of the year; and coach Steven McRoberts, who received the Katrinka Jo Crawford Coach of the Year award.

Robyn Smith is the first setter of the year in UCA history. A 2007 first-team selection, she makes a return appearance to the first-team earning the distinction as the first player in school history to receive consecutive first-team honors. Robyn Smith led the league for the second straight season in assists topping the 1,000 mark both years with 1,387 in 2007 and 1,093 in 2008. Her 11.04 assists average stands as the only mark over 11 in conference this season.

In four seasons as head coach of the Sugar Bears Steven McRoberts has amassed 87 wins and led UCA to a first-place finish in the East Division, garnering coach of the honors. Each season, McRoberts and Central Arkansas have qualified for the conference tournament. However, because of its reclassifying transition from NCAA Division II to Division I, the Sugar Bears are ineligible for postseason play until the 2010 season.

First Team
Chloe Smith MB So. San Diego, Calif./Acad. of Our Lady of Peace
Robyn Smith S Jr. Lubbock, Texas/Coronado

Honorable Mention: Jessica Hays, UCA;

Congratulations all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:48 pm 
UserName Retired

Beary Manilow wrote:
when you say "screwed up" do you mean it accidentally had women's soccer filled in instead of volleyball?

My bad, I guess. I thought the volleyball team was on the fast track. Moot point anyway. Beary, sometimes you can be a real Turd with your posts. :wink: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:26 pm 
All-Conference

Congrats to all! This has been a great volleyball season! And I agree with Jacket Bear, this will get better and better each year. I can't wait until the day they get into the Southland Tournament, win that and then go to the NCAA Tournament.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:58 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Fabulous for the individuals honored and for the team and program.....if you ever see them play it is easy to see why they were honored ......as competitive as any UCA team ever....good luck in the tourney this week.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:20 pm 
All-Conference

Fantastic news!

Congrats to Coach McRoberts and Sugar Bears Smith, Smith and Hays. This impressive team has a great future - can't wait to see them rip through the provisional invitational tournament this weekend!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:58 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Honey Bear wrote:
Beary Manilow wrote:

My bad, I guess. I thought the volleyball team was on the fast track. Moot point anyway. Beary, sometimes you can be a real Turd with your posts. :wink: :lol:

Easy mistake to make, since – with all the volleyball team's success – it seems almost an afterthought that they would've been fast-tracked.

And I may like to give folks crap every now and again, but I don't know that I'd call myself a Turd. Very often.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:11 pm 
UserName Retired

With all the a.k.a.s you have had it's hard for me to keep up. I like Beary though.