West Division

1. Texas State (5) 122
2. Lamar (2) 114
3. UTSA (1) 100
4. Sam Houston State 78
5. UT Arlington 60
6. A&M-Corpus Christi 30

Southland Conference Announces the 2009 Volleyball Preseason Teams

Central Arkansas and Lamar each placed three student-athletes on the 2009 Southland Conference preseason all-conference volleyball teams, which were announced Tuesday by the conference office.

Central Arkansas junior Chloe Smith, the 2008 Southland Conference Player of the Year, leads a talented list of returning players on the two teams. Smith, a native of San Diego, Calif., led the Sugar Bears to a first-place finish in the East Division and their best conference record (12-4) since joining the Southland in 2006. Smith ranked second in the conference with 379 kills and her 80 blocks led the team. In conference play, she ranked fifth in hitting percentage (.323), third in kills per match (3.35) and second in service aces (0.43).

Two other Central Arkansas student-athletes were named preseason selections. Robyn Smith earned first-team honors and Jessica Hays was named to the second team. Robyn Smith, the 2008 conference setter of the year and a senior from Lubbock, Texas, has led the league in assists the last two seasons collecting 1,387 in 2007 and 1,255 in 2008. Hays, the 2008 freshman of the year and a sophomore from Friendswood, Texas, led all freshmen with nine triple-doubles and 325 kills for a 3.03 average ranking seventh in conference. Her 0.47 service aces mark led the league.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:17 pm 
UserName Retired

Amazing. I was just telling BF101 how this program used to be as bad as men's basketball currently is. Now they've already been selected to win the division and finish second overall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:54 pm 
UCAFANS.COM Recruiter

http://www.ucasports.com/sport.asp?action=news&sportid=4&article=3197

SUGAR BEARS PICKED TO WIN SLC EAST, PLACE THREE ON PRESEASON TEAM
VOLLEYBALL • Aug 18, 2009

FRISCO, Texas – The University of Central Arkansas volleyball team was picked to win the Southland Conference East Division and received the second most overall votes in the coaches poll and the third most by the league's sports information directors. Also three Sugar Bears were selected to the preseason all-conference team – junior Chloe Smith, senior Robyn Smith and sophomore Jessica Hays...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:53 pm 
UserName Retired

treyuca wrote:
Amazing. I was just telling BF101 how this program used to be as bad as men's basketball currently is. Now they've already been selected to win the division and finish second overall.

That's what good coaching does for you. The transition excuse is no longer legit in my opinion. There shouldn't be a team sport anywhere on this campus with a losing record.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:24 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Congrats to Chloe, Robyn and Jessica....well deserved honors.

They are fun to watch if you have never gone to a game...just be ware of sitting in the endzones.

Not sure having to have winning record is the benchmark for success but rather really being able to compete at D1 level. Winning is the next level and championships are even higher. However v-ball has shown how you can turn a program around in relatively short order.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:07 am 
UserName Retired

Quote:
Not sure having to have winning record is the benchmark for success but rather really being able to compete at D1 level.

Aw come on '52. You are exactly right if we were talking about T-ball or Little League type age groups but winning less than 50% of your games, even though you might be competitive, at this level of the game is not acceptable for the majority of fans. If you don't establish a team with a winning record (which is only 51%) then you sure as heck are not going to rise to the next level - championships and titles. The excuse of being competitive is usually the one the loser of the game uses. A good coach figures out a way to win those competitive games and then tells the media "we beat a very competitive team tonight".

UCA has always had not only successful winning programs in the past in major team sports but also championship type caliber teams. As has been stated several times on this board, if you want to fill up the stadium, stands, and the gym with a good fanbase, you better have at least a winning program.

If you're thinking that we should support our Bears regardless of their records - you are absolutely right. However, there is the old adage about something of "the nature of the beast". Hopefully we can return to being a beast in all our major team sports. Then, and only then will the fanbase feed the beast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:27 pm 
All-Conference

I feel very confident that we are going to win it all this year, the division and conference. Come check it out for yourself. I know you can't wait until September 10th for the home opener.

We have two special matches coming up. First this Saturday is our first ever Alumni Match at 2 p.m. Several former Sugar Bears will be in the house to take on this year's squad and then on Monday @ 7, we have our annual Purple/Gray Scrimmage Match.

We look forward to see our fans at the Prince Center and remember.....
PURPLE REIGNS AT THE PRINCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:24 am 
Two-Time All-American

I am just saying that at a true D1 level it is not realisitc to not have a down year on occasion...injuries especially can be crucial. The question is whether the program rebounds qucikly or gets mired in medoicrity. I have seen some very good 5-6 teams. Also, every program has its own cycle...even Florida has teams that are down occasionally.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:15 am 
UserName Retired

I know what you're saying '52 and you're pretty much right. The men's basketball team has been slipping down the slope recently and the scuttlebutt is it's not only because of the talent level. If there are personnel problems whether it be with the players, coaches, or both then that problem needs to be remedied soon. It seems that all of our major team sports are headed in the right direction except for this one. We can't keep on using injuries as an excuse for mediocre play and records.

I'm thinking this is a make or break season for Chappell. I hope for the sake of us all he turns it around this year. If not, then how long do we wait before we completely bottom out before doing something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:40 pm 
Two-Time All-American

I suspect Brad and Rand have talked....Brad has made good decisions and has a good sense for coaches and teams....I'll trust his judgement....