It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Volleyball in Texas
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:24 pm 
All-Conference

You are pretty much right, Josh. We win tomorrow, we win a share of the SLC East. Then we beat Lamar on Thursday, we win the East outright. Like I said, it is a big match tomorrow against UTSA. If was not for homecoming, I would love to be in San Antonio cheering on our team. But I am ready for Thursday.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:25 pm 
UserName Retired

Any updates on the sugarbears?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:43 pm 
UserName Retired

Well...sad day for volleyball. They drop their match against Utsa 1-3! They will take a big dip in the RPI now. We also need to win out and have utsa drop one to get the number 1 seed in the SLC tournament.
Hopefully, now that the monkey is off their backs they will regroup and win out until they get to the NCAA tournament!
GO SUGARBEARS!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:24 pm 
UserName Retired

One more thing, UTSA still has to play the one SLC team that beat them again...TX State in San Marcos. I'll be pulling for the Bobcats in that one (and everyone else who has to play UTSA)!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:43 pm 
All-Conference

Tough loss today. UTSA was well prepared and played a very good game.

We're still on top of the conference with UTSA. Time to regroup, get ready for Lamar on Thursday and finish strong.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:09 pm 
All-Conference

UTSA still has Sam Houston and SFA at home, Texas State and UT Arlington on the road.

UCA has Lamar and McNeese at home, Nicholls and Southeastern on the road....

That should favor the Sugar Bears

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:35 pm 
Team Captain

joshuca wrote:
Well...sad day for volleyball. They drop their match against Utsa 1-3! They will take a big dip in the RPI now. We also need to win out and have utsa drop one to get the number 1 seed in the SLC tournament.
Hopefully, now that the monkey is off their backs they will regroup and win out until they get to the NCAA tournament!
GO SUGARBEARS!!

Considering we have dropped 10 spots in the RPI the last two weeks, we may hit triple digits on Monday. I guess I don't understand how we kept winning and went from 62nd on the 11th to 69th on the 18th to 72nd this past Monday. Baffles me.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:54 am 
UserName Retired

philgood80 wrote:
joshuca wrote:
GO SUGARBEARS!!

Considering we have dropped 10 spots in the RPI the last two weeks, we may hit triple digits on Monday. I guess I don't understand how we kept winning and went from 62nd on the 11th to 69th on the 18th to 72nd this past Monday. Baffles me.

It was because the teams we play in conference all have rpis in the 100-200+ range.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:52 am 
UserName Retired

The girls will bounce back. No shame in losing one game in your last 27 conference games. For you number crunchers, RPIs don't mean squat in reality. The only numbers that matter is having more points on the scoreboard when the final horn blows. Texas St. beating SFA in football is a prime example of heart and determination not being factored in into numerical equations. Oh yeah, Tulsa beating Notre Dame yesterday at ND gives my argument further credence. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:01 pm 
All-Conference

Am I sad we lost yesrday? Yes

Will the girls bounce back? Yes

Do I believe we are still the team to beat in the SLC? Absoultely

Does the RPI mean anything? Not really

I loved every single second of this winning streak in conference play. Because streaks like this do not happen very often. Not a lot of teams can say they had a great streak like this. We will start a new one Thursday night against Lamar at 7 in the Prince Center. So be there! Bring the family as well spend some quality time together. It is really fun atmosphere. I will be there with bells and whistles. See you all there.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:39 pm 
Two-Time All-American

Sad to see them lose but they will bounce back.....very hard to win everytime at this level no matter how good you are....play hard...stay focused...win the SLC tourney....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:34 am 
UserName Retired

Streak ended, Sugar Bears seek to qualify for NCAA tourney

Quote:
“Our biggest goal this year is to make the NCAA tournament,” McRoberts said. “UTSA probably has a little tougher schedule than us the rest of the regular season. But whether we go into the SLC tournament as the No. 1 or No. 2 seed doesn’t matter to us. You still have to win three matches to win the title.”

The 33-game conference winning streak, the longest in the country, was almost unheard of in a DI league.

UCA has learned what it’s like to be a target.

“It seems like every time we take the court against a conference team, we keep asking, ‘Who is this team we are playing. They haven’t played this well on any of the tapes we have seen,’” McRoberts said. “We’ve done a great job of taking everybody’s best shot and winning most of the time.”

The Sugar Bears’ still have a 26-game homecourt winning streak. They close the home season Thursday against Lamar and Saturday against McNeese State, which has been moved to a 1 p.m. start because of the Bears’ regionally televised football game that begins at 2:05 p.m.