It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: McCollum's Column
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:30 am 
UserName Retired

McCollum's Column: Sugar Bears set sights on postseason possibilities

Quote:
I suspect that few press boxes in America have the environment like the press box at Estes Stadium, where 30 minutes before a football game, part of the conversation concerns volleyball games, volleyball players and live stats from volleyball matches.

But that’s how Steven McRoberts has affected the culture at the University of Central Arkansas.

Volleyball is not just a sport that is being played during football season. It’s a conversation and source of pride.

The UCA Sugar Bears enter this weekend’s Southland Conference volleyball tournament at Huntsville, Texas, as the regular-season champions and the No. 1 seed. And they have the opportunity to be the first UCA team in Division I to reach NCAA postseason play.

Post subject: Re: McCollum's Column
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:37 am 
UserName Retired

Quote:
And they have the opportunity to be the first UCA team in Division I to reach NCAA postseason play.

I thought the men's baseball and women's soccer teams got fast-tracked last year for that honor. Were they derailed somewhere along the way, other than having seasons bad enough not to qualify, to keep that from happening?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:39 am 
UserName Retired

Honey Bear wrote:
Quote:
And they have the opportunity to be the first UCA team in Division I to reach NCAA postseason play.

I thought the men's baseball and women's soccer teams got fast-tracked last year for that honor. Were they derailed somewhere along the way, other than having seasons bad enough not to qualify, to keep that from happening?

I think that is what he is referring to...the Sugarbears actually have a shot at getting into the tournament (the others didn't).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:13 am 
UserName Retired

Maybe I overread between the lines too much. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:16 am 
Two-Time All-American

Honey Bear wrote:
Quote:

No, nothing was derailed. Women's soccer had the first opportunity for a chance at postseason play, but the volleyball team now has the opportunity to be the first to actually make it. It's all in the order of the words.